Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power source for LED Flood and spot lights on my Backrack.

HighdesertRAM

Reaction score
I do not have the auxiliary power distribution center (PDC) feature in my truck.

I do not want to tie these lights into my trucks running lights or have them come on automatically when I am in reverse.

I am towing a fifth-wheel I want plenty of light when I need it.

Can I or should I bring a heavy gauge solid copper wire in a protected sheath from the battery to the cab and put a switch on the hump under the dash. Note I have the bench seat configuration. Of course I will have a properly sized fuse. I then would run the power cable to the back rack and splice it into a custom harness.

Am I approaching this correctly?

Should I pay to have the PDC installed professionally?

Thanks. I am 71 a veteran and a recent widower. I am going to go travel with my service dog and have fun but at my age I want to take all safety precautions. This good lighting when I am hacking up and when connecting and disconnecting.

2024 RAM Laramie 3500 HD Mega Cab 4 door Short Bed DUALLY with RETRAX PRO XR tonneau cover. Bright White Night Edition. I then added a Black BackRack 3 light (6 lights total) back rack. 4x4 with rear air suspension. HO 6.7L Turbo Cummins with Banks PedalMonster and Banks Monster Exhaust with the black 6 inch exhaust tip and the Banks Rear Differential cover black. 4:10 rear end for towing. I added an B&W OEM Companion 25K hitch and then added black OEM Off-road fender flares and black Tail light brush guards. On order but still waiting for the PUTCO Split Blade LED Tail gate lights and also on order and waiting for the RANCH HAND black Full Cab Running Steps. I had black nano ceramic tinting on the front side windows and also the front windshield too and then added 6 inch limo window shade. They may have to bury me in this truck as I ain’t giving it to nobody, ok maybe my son.

Barryg

Reaction score
Well for the first many years of my driving and modding my vehicles way back when that’s how it was done. You ran wire from the battery or maybe an auxiliary fuse panel that you had installed for such stuff. Maybe you used relays and maybe you didnt. if not using an aux fuse panel you just used an inline fuse. It was pretty simple stuff back then. Don’t know why it still couldnt work that way.

Not sure i would worry about using solid wire. Add up the amperage/watts for each light you have added, use the proper gauge wire, fuse and switch. If these are led lights and are not real powerful you might be able to run all six off one switch otherwise add a second switch

deanfx

Reaction score
Look into Auxbeam switch panels and maybe a professional shop to install this switch panel. Switch Pros is another good one. I have my auxiliary lighting wired into my Edge CTS3 monitor for on/off function.

Users who are viewing this thread