Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22 6.7 “making oil”

TomTom

Reaction score
Yes I changed the CCV also. No oil in the turbo though. The truck had 29k on it at that point. Back when the problems started about a year ago it had 18k on it.
Did you use the ~$200 Mopar filter or a cheaper aftermarket alternative?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Just a nugget of wisdom in case you’re not aware: The Mopar CCV filter is manufactured by Fleetguard (CV52001) and can be purchased for about $100 at most reputable Fleetguard licensed distributors.

LaB345

Reaction score
I used the fleetguard sold by Genos Garage. I’m never afraid to use anything sold by Genos. Been dealing with them for years, ever since I bought my 05 2500

TomTom

Reaction score

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I was considering this one from Amazon for $25. Seen that other people use it on YouTube but I know that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a good idea. https://www.amazon.com/GELUOXI-CV52001-Replacement-2007-2022-Breather/dp/B08FXCZ8DD?th=1&psc=1
Don’t buy any filters from Amazon or eBay.
You’re not getting a quality filter for $25 when the real one costs four times that. There’s no such thing as a “deal”.

If you’re buying online: Genos Garage or KLM performance.

If you’re buying in person: Freightliner, International, Kenworth, Peterbilt, or Mack truck dealerships, your local FleetPride.

The “fake” filter problem is real and it’s out there. Buy from a reputable distributor.

TomTom

Reaction score
Don’t buy any filters from Amazon or eBay.
You’re not getting a quality filter for $25 when the real one costs four times that. There’s no such thing as a “deal”.

If you’re buying online: Genos Garage or KLM performance.

If you’re buying in person: Freightliner, International, Kenworth, Peterbilt, or Mack truck dealerships, your local FleetPride.

The “fake” filter problem is real and it’s out there. Buy from a reputable distributor.
Typically I totally agree with you. My thinking here is that it feels like I am throwing parts at this thing to try to fix the constant Regens. It does feel like the air filter issues causes some other downstream issue so that even when you replace the incorrect air filter you still have something else to fix. I was thinking buy a cheap one and if that fixes it I know what the issue is. If not, go back to the original since it should still have life on it. Normally I would just spring for the more costly one but $ are tight at the moment and need to not be wasteful.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Typically I totally agree with you. My thinking here is that it feels like I am throwing parts at this thing to try to fix the constant Regens. It does feel like the air filter issues causes some other downstream issue so that even when you replace the incorrect air filter you still have something else to fix. I was thinking buy a cheap one and if that fixes it I know what the issue is. If not, go back to the original since it should still have life on it. Normally I would just spring for the more costly one but $ are tight at the moment and need to not be wasteful.
If the OEM filters didn’t fix it, tossing more cheap filters at it won’t either. Your truck has a more significant issue that filters alone won’t fix. This is where your dealer and Ram need to step up and get it fixed. Unfortunately they don’t seem to be up to the task and that’s really sad. It also seems to be the par for this issue as the vast majority of the dealers are ill-equipped to handle this type of issue. Your truck is one of many with the same problem. My list is up to about 100 trucks so far and growing weekly. 70% of them are 2022’s.

TomTom

Reaction score
If the OEM filters didn’t fix it, tossing more cheap filters at it won’t either. Your truck has a more significant issue that filters alone won’t fix. This is where your dealer and Ram need to step up and get it fixed. Unfortunately they don’t seem to be up to the task and that’s really sad. It also seems to be the par for this issue as the vast majority of the dealers are ill-equipped to handle this type of issue. Your truck is one of many with the same problem. My list is up to about 100 trucks so far and growing weekly. 70% of them are 2022’s.
Sorry I didn’t do a good job explaining my situation. When I bought the truck it had the wrong air filter in it (bought used around 15k miles). I put the correct filter in and the dealership had done a number of things including replacing the MAF sensor. Nothing has fixed it, although it seems fine while towing. Additionally I have noticed that the truck seems to do fine until it goes above 60mph and then the dpf% call starts shooting up. If I drive in the highway over 60mph for long enough it eventually starts coming down (45min). My thinking is the the air filter was the original issue, but that it had downstream impacts to something else. The ccv is now a suspect in my thinking and buying a cheap $25 air filter to test this hypothesis seems worth it. I would be upset if I spent $150 right now to have one shipped to me and it did nothing.

Units

Reaction score
I took my truck in yesterday to have the steering module recall done and to check out the DPF since it has had a few odd regen cycles lately. I have a 5k mile-ish camping trip hauling my camper coming up and want to make sure everything looks good. I talked to the tech at the dealership and he said they have lots of newer model year trucks with DPF issues come in. He said it’s very common, it’s a big dealership, he said they’ve had some success changing parts but the ones that have issues keep coming back. He said the consensus in their shop is it’s a programming issue and IF and when an update comes out, they’re not sure if it will even fix the problem. What I was told anyways.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I didn’t do a good job explaining my situation. When I bought the truck it had the wrong air filter in it (bought used around 15k miles). I put the correct filter in and the dealership had done a number of things including replacing the MAF sensor. Nothing has fixed it, although it seems fine while towing. Additionally I have noticed that the truck seems to do fine until it goes above 60mph and then the dpf% call starts shooting up. If I drive in the highway over 60mph for long enough it eventually starts coming down (45min). My thinking is the the air filter was the original issue, but that it had downstream impacts to something else. The ccv is now a suspect in my thinking and buying a cheap $25 air filter to test this hypothesis seems worth it. I would be upset if I spent $150 right now to have one shipped to me and it did nothing.
I would still not change out a cheap filter.
Either buy an OEM Fleetguard CCV or take your chances, but when you keep changing variables (and a low quality ccv can absolutely be an unknown variable) you’re only potentially compounding your problem. Sticking with the OEM CCV means you can assuredly swap them out and maintain system performance if indeed the ccv filter is the issue. Not sure if I’m explaining that adequately.

sccpage74

Reaction score
22 Ram 2500 with under 9k miles that has been experiencing excessive regens. It is at the dealership again making the 4th attempt at the issue. This is the cold oil level taken after setting level. According to the dealership they consider it a “normal level”. It is so thin it will hardly stay on the stick and smells more like diesel than oil.
Definitely pull an oil sample. Then get ahold of your local cummins service center and see if they can test it or send it off. That way you have proof it's got a problem if you have one. If you do, then it's time to bite the bullet and pick a bigger dealership.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely pull an oil sample. Then get ahold of your local cummins service center and see if they can test it or send it off. That way you have proof it's got a problem if you have one. If you do, then it's time to bite the bullet and pick a bigger dealership.
Be sure to send it to a lab that has proper Gas Chromatography equipment that can do an accurate fuel dilution test. I’d recommend Polaris Labs (that’s who Cummins and Amsoil both use)

TomTom

Reaction score
I would still not change out a cheap filter.
Either buy an OEM Fleetguard CCV or take your chances, but when you keep changing variables (and a low quality ccv can absolutely be an unknown variable) you’re only potentially compounding your problem. Sticking with the OEM CCV means you can assuredly swap them out and maintain system performance if indeed the ccv filter is the issue. Not sure if I’m explaining that adequately.
Yeah I get what you are saying…that the cheap filter could still be causing an issue so it’s not a good one variable swap. That makes sense. My theory is that the air filter could have caused the constant Regens, causing the truck to make oil, which then soaked the CCV filter in oil and led to other dpf issues even after the air filter was changed. I suppose I could just look at the CCV to determine what kind of shape it was in.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I get what you are saying…that the cheap filter could still be causing an issue so it’s not a good one variable swap. That makes sense. My theory is that the air filter could have caused the constant Regens, causing the truck to make oil, which then soaked the CCV filter in oil and led to other dpf issues even after the air filter was changed. I suppose I could just look at the CCV to determine what kind of shape it was in.
Have you pulled the air intake tube off the charger side of the turbo to see if you have excessive oil puddling there? Thats a common indicator that the CCV is over saturated.

TomTom

Reaction score
Have you pulled the air intake tube off the charger side of the turbo to see if you have excessive oil puddling there? Thats a common indicator that the CCV is over saturated.
I haven’t, but it seems like pulling the CCV might be easier/just as easy and more definitive?

TomTom

Reaction score
They’re both very easy to remove and inspect. I would check both.
Ok, sounds good. I've ordered a filter from KLM as suggested. Is there any validity to thinking that having the wrong air filter on when I bought it could have somehow had a downstream impact on the CCV filter? Maybe making oil or somehow causing the crankcase pressure to increase? Not sure the physics behind why this would happen, but curious if someone who knows these engines better does?

Users who are viewing this thread