Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifter Failure? Report it here!

Ostracize

Reaction score
That's a good question, I'll reach out to fca and ask. They aren't much help that's for sure. Also, aftermarket lifters I wonder if that would void warranty
I agree they are very little help, but it is important you understand whom you are speaking with, you need a case number, get past the first line customer "service" folks, they are only there to say no and put up walls. Once you actually get a case manager, that's when an actual productive conversation can happen. Additionally have the service manager speak with the regional manager. That person is more relegated to the dealer world but has the rental approval authority above 5-10 days.. Not much more but it might help until you get a case manager whom then has authority for rental beyond that, especially for their own supply chain delays resulting in VOR. Try this # you might have better luck... 18669323873 ex 5140354 (don't leave a message, hit 1 when prompted to speak with case management). Good luck sir.

yorken99

Reaction score
Got my pushrods and trunnions today. Probably won't be able to install for another month. Went with Manton 7/16 pushrods and trunnions. When talking to the Manton folks they said 2 things that were interesting and IMO worth repeating:

1. On a Cummins, pushrods have always been the weakest link in the valvetrain. They have always had deflection problems, but the flat tappet cam and lifters aren't impacted like the hydraulic lifters. He said deflection is common because of how long the push rods are in a Cummins (11-12 inches vs 8 inches in Powerstroke / Duramax) - and the problem has become more common as folks have increased performance of their engines.
2. Manton guy thought the reason they went to hydraulic lifters is because of the EPA directive to try to get the engine noise down. Not sure the reason they went hydraulic, but I"m sure it's a poorly thought out implementation.

I"m just going pushrods and trunnions first to try to stop / hold off the issue as long as possible until I can convert to flat tappet cam. I don't have the time or money now to rip off the front of the truck and go through the install. So this is my 1-2 year solution (hopefully!) until then. I know I will have to get different pushrods for the Hamilton cam, but it's only a couple hundred bucks, and if I can stop (or greatly reduce) the damage going on until the cam swap, it's worth it. Getting my oil report back in a week or 2 - will be interesting.

Jboat319

Reaction score
Thank you for all the information guys, just a update in this debacle lmao... I got a call yesterday to come pick the truck up today, bring the rental back. Continue to drive the truck until June 3rd when the dealership stated they would have all parts and availability to do the repairs that week and to pick it up the following Friday the 7th. Within that week the dealership will cover a rental vehicle (still won't be able to work that week without a truck.) As far as FCA I was just assigned a case manager, he stated to me that he's new to the company so bare with him lmao but he is going to ask if there is a way to get me compensation for the loss of time working, My loan payments I've made, and possibly an extended warranty on the truck after the repair.

RiverRunner

Reaction score
I've got a 2024. Any reports of problems on the 2024 units? I mean how many years have they been making this motor? I kinda figured they had this stuff figured out by now!

Units

Reaction score
I've got a 2024. Any reports of problems on the 2024 units? I mean how many years have they been making this motor? I kinda figured they had this stuff figured out by now!
For the most part I believe they do have it figured out, other than the occasional outlier. Cummins engines sold are in the millions. Not sure on the RAM version but I’m sure it’s up there. IMHO, people come to forums to complain, I know I’ve done it. They’re not all rotten.

Enve46

Reaction score
Every manufacturer is having lifter issues with one engine in their line up. Not saying it’s not a design fault but it’s definitely a supplier issue on top of that. There’s no logical reason why several manufacturers are having lifter failure other than a supplier issue somewhere along the line. My father is semi retired and to stay busy he does inspections for warranty and insurance companies. He sees more lifter failures than anything else. GM has issues in the 5.3 and 6.2, this past week add two C8 Z06s. We all know the 5.7/6.4 Hemi eat lifters and now the 6.7 Cummins. He hasn’t seen any 6.7 powerstrokes- mainly sees electrical issues with Fords. It’s interesting data

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
For the most part I believe they do have it figured out, other than the occasional outlier. Cummins engines sold are in the millions. Not sure on the RAM version but I’m sure it’s up there. IMHO, people come to forums to complain, I know I’ve done it. They’re not all rotten.

I believe it's been shown only the Cummins built for RAM is spec'd with the hydraulic lifters.

RiverRunner

Reaction score
Every manufacturer is having lifter issues with one engine in their line up. Not saying it’s not a design fault but it’s definitely a supplier issue on top of that. There’s no logical reason why several manufacturers are having lifter failure other than a supplier issue somewhere along the line. My father is semi retired and to stay busy he does inspections for warranty and insurance companies. He sees more lifter failures than anything else. GM has issues in the 5.3 and 6.2, this past week add two C8 Z06s. We all know the 5.7/6.4 Hemi eat lifters and now the 6.7 Cummins. He hasn’t seen any 6.7 powerstrokes- mainly sees electrical issues with Fords. It’s interesting data
I cannot imagine the war stories your Dad could tell, working within the beast. I bet he get's a lot of satisfaction helping people get a fair deal. I've had a couple warranty issues, where you just end up amazed at the slimy nature of the dealer/manufacturer interface with the customer - although not with Ram.

Last edited:

Enve46

Reaction score
I cannot imagine the war stories your Dad could tell, working within the beast. I bet he get's a lot of satisfaction helping people get a fair deal. I've had a couple warranty issues, where you just end up amazed at the slimy nature of the dealer/manufacturer interface with the customer - although not with Ram.
He’s been in the service part of automotive his whole life, the stories are endless across all manufacturers. Most stories now are cut and dry, either part failure or negligence on the consumer, very little is left to scratch your head. Everyday I get pics of cars torn apart, here’s the Z06 from Tuesday

Attachments

• IMG_6498.jpeg
    IMG_6498.jpeg
    643.9 KB · Views: 15

Riddick

Reaction score

I am on the fence on this one, I am leaning towards the issue is bigger than we think. How many trucks are out there currently having this issue but the owners are not aware? In most cases you have to intentionally listen for the noise and I don't think most people do this. I noticed last week my truck was making a tapping noise under light part throttle conditions. I just so happened to have the windows down, radio off, and driving next to a barrier and could barely hear it. Under normal driving conditions my truck drives fine and I cannot pick up on any additional noises. However, now that I am listening for it I can definitely hear it while in park and revving the motor, especially if I max out the high idle. I am sure there are numerous trucks on the road that sound just like mine but the owners are unaware.

At this point I am going to drive mine like normal and see if the noise gets louder. This prolly isn't the best strategy but reading all the dealer horror stories I don't want to deal with that right now. If or should I say when my truck gets louder I will take it in but for now its business as usual. What sucks is in the past I would always look for a reason to get a new truck but I honestly don't want a different truck, I only want this one to work as advertised.

Ostracize

Reaction score
Update on mine. Short block replaced. She's back to super quiet, not just no tick anymore but overall just quiet. It's crazy how "loud" mine had gotten. I mean it's obvious and to be expected with brand new block... But still. Maybe this one won't eat it's lifter bore, we'll just have to wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread