Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

petition to help Alabama off road parks

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
SB254 could bankrupt off-road parks

Link to petition

“ This could be the beginning of the END for off road parks in Alabama.

Sb254 was introduced by Senator Andrew Jones representing District 10 in the Alabama Senate, which includes Etowah, Cherokee, and Southern DeKalb counties.

If Passed sb254 would require all privately owned off road parks to obtain a permit from the county in which it is located. A small fee of $50 per year is no big deal...right?

WRONG!!! This permit requires that the park owner provides "Proof of at least five million dollars ($5,000,000) of liability insurance coverage that indemnifies the county commission, neighboring property owners for damage to their property, and downstream property owners for damage to their water access.

This insurance policy is just unattainable for any privately owned park to purchase and be self sustainable. Simply put, this would immediately force every privately owned park to close their gates for good!

It also requires the land owner "shall follow the best management practicesestablished by the Alabama Forestry Commission as they pertain to forested watersheds." This will mean that a private park can not cut timber on steep slopes. (among other things).

This bill is the direct cause of a few disgruntled residents in Senator Jones' district that screamed the loudest about the traffic going in and out of ONE off road park.

If passed, YOUR state could see the same fait if the few are louder than the many! Let's come together strong as the off road community and stop this before it starts!!!

Along with the bill shutting down the private parks. It also affects a large population of Military Veterans. There is a huge community of veterans that use trail riding as a way to get away from society and calm down. They can socialize with fellow veterans and work on ways to cope with PTSD. “

Pearce

Reaction score
This apperers to be specific to ATV parks and ATVs. Personally can't stand those things. Just like jet skis but not as bad, That's a different subject. An ATV as defined by AL
ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLES (ATV). Every motor vehicle 60 inches or less in width, measured from the outside of the tire rim to the outside of the tire rim directly across on the vehicle, having a dry weight of 1,500 pounds or less, designed to travel on three or more non-highway tires, and manufactured for off-road use by a single operator or by an operator and not more than one passenger as provided by the manufacturer.

Ala. Code § 32-12A-1

Not an ideal situation either way. But at the same time after reading the bill i see where they are coming from. Will be watching this.

oledirteh

Reaction score
whats wrong with atv's? out of everything that is offroad related atv's are pretty much the snail and least obnoxious version of offroading there is.

if you get out on the trails and look at what UTV's are doing, they destroy some trails lol. i mean im guilty of it since my rig is on 32's and if roxxilla ever comes out with a 33 ill be bumping up.

Enve46

Reaction score
Signed and contributed. More states need to look at what WV has done to create tax revenue with OHV trails. I understand the nuisance it can be when you get the ass hats out there but like many car communities the Off road community is extensive and I’ve met some of the best people through it. Sad there’s people who are so miserable at life they have to ruin a relatively safe environment for people to enjoy their vehicles, much like the drag strips closing

oledirteh

Reaction score
this sport has helped more then most sports. Take hatfield and mccoy trails. Most if not all of the towns along that trail system are funded by the atv/utv/jeep crowds. The local income was abolished when they got rid of coal mining. I have driven through towns with no one in it. buildings closed. nothing. no people, it was eerie if you take that away then your looking at a large portion of a states income going away. its sad. but we are also the ones paying for yearly pass's which is a boost as well. The other upside is we are actually helping to keep the trails clean where the locals treat the mountains and forrests as a landfill. its absolutly disgusting.

The downside, you have the outlaw trails. the outlaw trails are the trails where trail riding is insane. its also where the drinkers and crazy live. things can happen that leave a sour taste in alot of peoples mouths.

you have other places all around PA and Tennesee and other states where these places are a great asset to the locals. then some locals hate it cause it took away their free riding and places to drink and trash the area.

Id much rather have these atv/utv/jeep places with a mapped out maintained systems then anything else. Theres places ive been where i have maps loaded on my tablet and gps goes bonkers and im stairing down the barrel of a shotgun wondering if my hand that is currently on the pistol im carrying will be quick enough cause my dumb ass landed on private property lol

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
This apperers to be specific to ATV parks and ATVs. Personally can't stand those things. Just like jet skis but not as bad, That's a different subject. An ATV as defined by AL
ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLES (ATV). Every motor vehicle 60 inches or less in width, measured from the outside of the tire rim to the outside of the tire rim directly across on the vehicle, having a dry weight of 1,500 pounds or less, designed to travel on three or more non-highway tires, and manufactured for off-road use by a single operator or by an operator and not more than one passenger as provided by the manufacturer.

Ala. Code § 32-12A-1

Not an ideal situation either way. But at the same time after reading the bill i see where they are coming from. Will be watching this.
Well, I could not tell you with confidence that places I grew up wheeling jeeps and Toyotas like Morris Mountain OHV and Choccolocco OHV wouldn’t fall under that umbrella. I don’t know how the state lists them

But, I can tell you if they close ATV parks you’ll see the ATVs on the jeep trails and then they’ll really annoy you lol

Users who are viewing this thread