Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regen

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I pulled my air filter out yesterday and vacuumed out the housing and checked the condition of the filter. It’s been 7750 miles since I changed it and it wasn’t anywhere as dirty as the original filter I changed out at 6278 miles. I don’t know if they spray some kind of oil on the original filters or what but the original filter was coated down with something black and looked like grease on it. I’ve not had a soot based regen since I swapped the air filter out. I put the old style AF 27684 FleetGuard in when I changed it. I have been running mine with the top 3 slats out of the AGS shutters for about 6 months but reinstalled them yesterday to see if it makes any difference.
I wondered about those shutters. Keep me updated on that….

OLEJOE

Reaction score
yeah they’re definitely incorrect.
The glue strip versions of the Fleetguard AF27684 are a recent thing. Fleetguard subbed their manufacture out to a plant in Mexico, instead of the one in the USA. When that happened, the product changed. This happened somewhere around December 2023. Supposedly they started making them in the states again. View attachment 71711
I wondered about those shutters. Keep me updated on that….
I will. I also talked with the FleetGuard Rep again about their providing the original style filters again. He said he talked to one of the engineers about them and the engineer said they had gotten those (the ones with the black seal) by mistake. But I still wouldn’t order one anywhere besides Geno’s since they know about the issues. The filter was nowhere near as dirty without the slats in the AGS as it was on the original filter with them in but I’ll see what happens.

56ram2500

Reaction score
I will. I also talked with the FleetGuard Rep again about their providing the original style filters again. He said he talked to one of the engineers about them and the engineer said they had gotten those (the ones with the black seal) by mistake. But I still wouldn’t order one anywhere besides Geno’s since they know about the issues. The filter was nowhere near as dirty without the slats in the AGS as it was on the original filter with them in but I’ll see what happens.

I just received a new one from Genos, the color is off compared to the older Fleetguard air filter I have on hand

Attachments

• IMG_4464.jpg
    IMG_4464.jpg
    866.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4467.jpg
    IMG_4467.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4493.jpg
    IMG_4493.jpg
    661.2 KB · Views: 5

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
108 mile trip.
All highway. Unloaded
80mph continuously.

Started out:IMG_6492.jpeg

Ended up:IMG_6493.jpeg
During the trip I saw it increase to about 37% or so, then drop back to 25% a few times. But it never fell below 25%. I’ve made this trip three times in the last seven months. The other two times it was squeaky clean when I got back home.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Do you have any ideas why it didn’t clean out this time? Mine started at 0% and in 15 miles went to 25%. Cut it off at the grocery store and came back out and drove straight back toward home and it jumped to 37% and shortly started regening. So I kept driving until it finished. Were you getting close to having a time based regen ?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have any ideas why it didn’t clean out this time? Mine started at 0% and in 15 miles went to 25%. Cut it off at the grocery store and came back out and drove straight back toward home and it jumped to 37% and shortly started regening. So I kept driving until it finished. Were you getting close to having a time based regen ?
I have no idea. It hasn’t been passively regenerating well since the spring weather warmed up. I’m only about 5 hours and 321 miles since the last active regeneration cycle. This truck acted the same way last year. As soon as the weather warms up, it can’t seem to passive regen well and builds soot more quickly

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I have no idea. It hasn’t been passively regenerating well since the spring weather warmed up. I’m only about 5 hours and 321 miles since the last active regeneration cycle. This truck acted the same way last year. As soon as the weather warms up, it can’t seem to passive regen well and builds soot more quickly
Mine has never been good about passively regening unless I run it over 80 mph. The max speed limit around here is 70 so I hate to chance it for 2or3 hours at a time. Usually I can hook up to my TT and within 20 miles it will be back to zero. I had just done that before I put the AGS slats back in and had it sitting on zero to start. I’m not sure at what speed the AGS opens or if it even closes when towing.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine has never been good about passively regening unless I run it over 80 mph. The max speed limit around here is 70 so I hate to chance it for 2or3 hours at a time. Usually I can hook up to my TT and within 20 miles it will be back to zero. I had just done that before I put the AGS slats back in and had it sitting on zero to start. I’m not sure at what speed the AGS opens or if it even closes when towing.
I had no issue with passive regeneration for the past seven months. All winter it was fine. Now it’s not doing it. This truck acted the same way this time of year last year. I’m not sure what causes it.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
No, I don’t have any monitors to log or view PID’s.
All I have is a cheap code reader but it does let me record different data points and watch it in real time. I don’t know what the different values should be for different pids but I can watch egt’s and other different things.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
With EGR there is not much fluctuation in IAT’s, at least not like a diesel without an EGR.
I noticed mine varying about 10 degrees with varying amounts of egr depending on engine load. The temp would actually go down loading the engine.
It was hard to watch and drive at the same time.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed mine varying about 10 degrees with varying amounts of egr depending on engine load. The temp would actually go down loading the engine.
It was hard to watch and drive at the same time.

I just watch it for trends, and have on all my diesels. 10° of fluctuation is minimal.

Yes, IAT will decrease as load increases because the EGR flow decreases. That is until the intercooler can't keep up with the increased ambient temp of sustained high boost while pulling a grade at high boost.

For reference, my 05 would run an IAT within 10° of ambient under most conditions, closer to IAT when cruising. On long hard, hot pulls it would get to +30-35° from ambient at most.

If you watch your IAT during a regen when the EGR is closed you can see what it would be like without any EGR.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I just watch it for trends, and have on all my diesels. 10° of fluctuation is minimal.

Yes, IAT will decrease as load increases because the EGR flow decreases. That is until the intercooler can't keep up with the increased ambient temp of sustained high boost while pulling a grade at high boost.

For reference, my 05 would run an IAT within 10° of ambient under most conditions, closer to IAT when cruising. On long hard, hot pulls it would get to +30-35° from ambient at most.

If you watch your IAT during a regen when the EGR is closed you can see what it would be like without any EGR.
Today is the first time I’ve tried it. Going to have to get the wife to drive so I can watch it. Her screaming at me while trying to drive and watch it was distracting.

Users who are viewing this thread