Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smog test California

baker01

Reaction score
Took my 2022 Ram 3500 HO to be smogged today. It failed due to the EGR monitor not being ready. the batteries have not been disconnected or gone dead. The truck has 4400 miles on it since it had the Y43 recall and ECM flash done.
Any ideas on what I could before I take it to the dealer 100 miles away?

Last edited:

baker01

Reaction score
I tried the EGR reset procedure. It did not work, Off to the dealer.

hd64180

Reaction score
After Y43 repair, all OBDII emissions monitors are reset to "incomplete" (actually after replacing ANY emissions component or disconnecting the battery reset to Incomplete).

In California, as of July 5, 2023, you're allowed to pass diesel smog checks with a max 2 Incomplete emissions tests: Particulate Filter and Non-Methane HydroCarbon (NMHC). Refer to Bureau Of Automotive Repair doc: (https://www.bar.ca.gov/industry/obd-test-reference). Apparently triggers to run these two emissions tests are poorly understood and may remain incomplete indefinitely.

The vehicle's native "Inspection and Maintenance (I/M)" check will indicate NOT READY unless ALL emission tests are completed a PASS test. (This is the test described in Owners Manual where you turn the ignition ON with engine OFF, and watch to see if the "Multifunction Indicator Light" (aka Check Engine Light) blinks after ~15 seconds). You need an OBDII reader to tell which then you're down to only these two tests as Incomplete and you can pass a test station to register the vehicle in California.

This has been a very painful and off-putting learning experience. Hopefully, others may find it useful .... until it changes next year.

baker01

Reaction score
After Y43 repair, all OBDII emissions monitors are reset to "incomplete" (actually after replacing ANY emissions component or disconnecting the battery reset to Incomplete).

In California, as of July 5, 2023, you're allowed to pass diesel smog checks with a max 2 Incomplete emissions tests: Particulate Filter and Non-Methane HydroCarbon (NMHC). Refer to Bureau Of Automotive Repair doc: (https://www.bar.ca.gov/industry/obd-test-reference). Apparently triggers to run these two emissions tests are poorly understood and may remain incomplete indefinitely.

The vehicle's native "Inspection and Maintenance (I/M)" check will indicate NOT READY unless ALL emission tests are completed a PASS test. (This is the test described in Owners Manual where you turn the ignition ON with engine OFF, and watch to see if the "Multifunction Indicator Light" (aka Check Engine Light) blinks after ~15 seconds). You need an OBDII reader to tell which then you're down to only these two tests as Incomplete and you can pass a test station to register the vehicle in California.

This has been a very painful and off-putting learning experience. Hopefully, others may find it useful .... until it changes next year.
Unfortunately they all have to pass as of this year. Mine is at the dealer for the EGR monitor not passing. I have 42 days till California says it can't be driven on the roads. I may end up with very expensive yard art,

Wheelz

Reaction score
I just went thru the same exact thing...if you have a reader, see if you have any pending CEL's. If you do, that's what's causing the EGR to not flip. If not, just drive the crap out of it in the back roads for the EGR to set to 'Ready'. I passed with PM filter and NMHC Catalyst not set ( as what hd64180 mentioned allowed by california). If you havent paid your reg fee's. Go ahead and pay it so you're not late. They'll wait for the smog cert later.

baker01

Reaction score
I just went thru the same exact thing...if you have a reader, see if you have any pending CEL's. If you do, that's what's causing the EGR to not flip. If not, just drive the crap out of it in the back roads for the EGR to set to 'Ready'. I passed with PM filter and NMHC Catalyst not set ( as what hd64180 mentioned allowed by california). If you havent paid your reg fee's. Go ahead and pay it so you're not late. They'll wait for the smog cert later
No CEL's. It has been driven 5000 miles since the Y43 and has not had the batteries disconnected since then. I have put close to 1000 miles towing heavy on the highway and driving not towing on the highway in the last two weeks. It is at the dealer now. It is a 2 year old truck with 14000 miles under warranty, I'm going to give them till the 15th of June to fix it. If it is not fixed by then, I will weigh my options.

Last edited:

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Unfortunately they all have to pass as of this year. Mine is at the dealer for the EGR monitor not passing. I have 42 days till California says it can't be driven on the roads. I may end up with very expensive yard art,
Just another reason to leave Komiforina.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Nevada requires a smog check, but it's a simple one. And Nevada is a lot more veteran friendly than Komiforina.
Glad I got out.

Users who are viewing this thread