Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Fought it for 13 years then bought the current 2017 RAM 3500 DRW. Huge difference, no sweat driving at all very stable and tracked perfectly.. We then upgraded to a 2019 TT that weighed 12000# No sweat at all.

I suspect you would get the exact same results with the same truck in a SRW configuration. The reasons why it made such a huge difference are common to the SRW and DRW.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I agree about sometimes you go with whatever suits the trailer you are pulling. In my case, we used to pull a 8000# TT with a 2000 MY Ford Excursion 7.3 TD. Despite being heavily modified with turbo, Redhead steering box, F350 HD springs sway bars and Bilsteins, it did not track very well. Fought it for 13 years then bought the current 2017 RAM 3500 DRW. Huge difference, no sweat driving at all very stable and tracked perfectly.. We then upgraded to a 2019 TT that weighed 12000# No sweat at all.

Despite the issues with parking and maneuverability that all DRW have, I would never go back.
8000lbs would be easily towed with a 2500 really but the DRW is nice as you don't need to watch your weights as it can handle it one reason i keep my 01 around

In my experience those excursions towed like crap no matter what same with the 2500 suburbans, the minute you put any real weight on them they got squirmy on the road. the only reason they were liked was the room inside IMHO. When they first came out i thought they were neat a buddy of mine bought one new and had the same towing experience you had he only had a 5500lbs camper.

WRCLVR

Reaction score
HAHA yeah that Excursion you could put 4x8 plywood sheets into it and close the rear gates. :) And the 7.3 ran great with all the Bank upgrades, intercooler, turbo, etc. The suspension upgrades from the stock 7.3 TD Excursion to the F350 HD springs. Bilsteins Redhead steering box and bigger sway bars f/r made the truck itself really handle well BUT as the previous poster said, even with all the upgrades, it still was a bit squirrely towing.

Nick

Reaction score
I have been towing a 15 k 5th wheel for 11 years . About 80k miles . I just fought heavy crosswinds and head winds from Texas to California it was very stable . AS Brutal said if you are not going to be over on your pin weight an SRW is the way to go . 2 less tires to buy . Easier to park , rides better empty and better in snow . If you plan on buying a bigger trailer down the road then go with a dually . sSnce you have bought neither go look at the 5 th wheel you want first .

WRCLVR

Reaction score
Im fine with the current TT and teh 2017 Ram dually. thanks tho :)

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Neither one rides nice SRW 3500 or DRW. Now....If you want a decent ride and aren't towing a massive amount, you buy a coil spring 2500 Ram.

If you need more capacity than the 2500 can handle and (and it's a big AND) you don't DD your truck -- IMO buy the dually as it's the most capable worker you can get your hands on.

DD'ing your truck changes things for me because then I'd agree I'd go SRW due to parking, drive throughs, size constraints, and having to buy 6 tires, etc.

Phil T

Reaction score
If you like to buy tires, a dually is fine.
Pros, higher weight capacity
Cons, more tires to buy, harsher ride, louder road noise, ugly.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Buying tires is a minor expense after spending 80K+ on a truck. If you can't afford the tires, then don't buy the truck. My truck rides great when adjusting pressures for the load. Road noise is no issue. Can hear my radio just fine. And I think my dually is beautiful. And my opinion is the only one that counts. LOL

MEGA HO

Reaction score
DRW are not ugly when have load in the box and look outright hot when swapped with super singles.
I did however read this multiple occasions that they have an uneven wear on the fronts. Not sure if that happens when riding empty or loaded, I don't own a DRW but would totally buy one to put on a flat deck and convert to SS

Cseybert

Reaction score
I’ve owned both and Prefer a Dually looks and ability. JMO No dually ver Dually

Attachments

• IMG_0561.png
    IMG_0561.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0562.jpeg
    IMG_0562.jpeg
    558.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread