Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What oil for 2020 cummins? - Merged oil threads

OLEJOE

Reaction score
To add another interesting fact, the Fleetguard filters aren’t rated to support the advertised flow of the oil pump.
They’ve been working for quite some time. I think Cummins knows what they need.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

They seem to work quite well, but the fact is that the Cummins published flow rate for the oil pump exceeds the Fleetguard published flow rate for the oil filters.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
In the past that would be a true statement but these days manufactures knowing their products seems to be less and less they just slap things together without doing the research not necessarily Cummins, but it’s a common theme among many manufacturers these days

OLEJOE

Reaction score
They seem to work quite well, but the fact is that the Cummins published flow rate for the oil pump exceeds the Fleetguard published flow rate for the oil filters.
The engine oiling system can’t flow the amount of oil the pump is rated for. If it could it would have 0 oil pressure. The oil pump goes into bypass when it reaches the pressure limit of the bypass and dumps the excess back to the oil pan. The filter is the least restrictive part of the whole system.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The engine oiling system can’t flow the amount of oil the pump is rated for. If it could it would have 0 oil pressure. The oil pump goes into bypass when it reaches the pressure limit of the bypass and dumps the excess back to the oil pan. The filter is the least restrictive part of the whole system.

Correct, but the disparity is pretty impressive. The pump is rated for 20.5 GPM at 4200 rpms (2800 engine rpms), while the Fleetguard filters are rated for 8.72 GPM.

At cruise rpms the oil bypass isn't open, so 100% of the oil flows thru the filter. At higher rpms the bypass does have the potential to be open depending on oil temp.

It's just another reason I am a fan of the DBL7349 since it not only filters better, but it's rated for 20 GPM.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Correct, but the disparity is pretty impressive. The pump is rated for 20.5 GPM at 4200 rpms (2800 engine rpms), while the Fleetguard filters are rated for 8.72 GPM.

At cruise rpms the oil bypass isn't open, so 100% of the oil flows thru the filter. At higher rpms the bypass does have the potential to be open depending on oil temp.

It's just another reason I am a fan of the DBL7349 since it not only filters better, but it's rated for 20 GPM.
I can’t find the actual inside diameter of the outlet stub that the filter screws on to, but I don’t think it’s capable of flowing 20 gpm. The Donaldson filter is supposed to be a very good filter. I’ve run it before on my 18’ and I have 4 of them in my shop. The only reason I haven’t run them on my newer truck is because if you go to the Donaldson website and pull up the DBL 7349 where it shows the specs and applications, it doesn’t list Ram trucks on it. It doesn’t list any automotive applications. Only refer and ag equipment. My truck is still under warranty.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Video I saw, there's no bypass on the DBL7349.

OLEJOE

Reaction score

The bypass is in the engine or the filter mount on the engine.

The only filters I have seen for our application that have a bypass built in are Microgard and Premium Guard.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

There isn’t supposed to be a bypass with the filter for these engines. The filter bypass is built into the filter head.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
There isn’t supposed to be a bypass with the filter for these engines. The filter bypass is built into the filter head.

Well now I do feel dumber. I guess if I thought about it before flappin my gums, I'd know I've not seen any bypass on the filters I've installed. <going for more coffee>

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I can’t find the actual inside diameter of the outlet stub that the filter screws on to, but I don’t think it’s capable of flowing 20 gpm. The Donaldson filter is supposed to be a very good filter. I’ve run it before on my 18’ and I have 4 of them in my shop. The only reason I haven’t run them on my newer truck is because if you go to the Donaldson website and pull up the DBL 7349 where it shows the specs and applications, it doesn’t list Ram trucks on it. It doesn’t list any automotive applications. Only refer and ag equipment. My truck is still under warranty.

I'm also under warranty, for quite a while with my Max Care, and have zero concerns running the DBL7349. If you lookup the Donaldson cross to the 05083285AA Mopar filter it lists the P558615. On the P558615 the DBL7349 is listed as an upgrade, and on the DBL7349 page it lists the P558615 as the standard filter.

Well now I do feel dumber. I guess if I thought about it before flappin my gums, I'd know I've not seen any bypass on the filters I've installed. <going for more coffee>

All good, it's not the first time I've seen it discussed.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I'm also under warranty, for quite a while with my Max Care, and have zero concerns running the DBL7349. If you lookup the Donaldson cross to the 05083285AA Mopar filter it lists the P558615. On the P558615 the DBL7349 is listed as an upgrade, and on the DBL7349 page it lists the P558615 as the standard filter.

All good, it's not the first time I've seen it discussed.
At this point in time my truck is running so well that I’m almost afraid to change the position of my mouth when driving it with all of the problems I see other people having on here. I asked the dealer if they were seeing many vehicles with the regen issues and he said they have had 2 and resolved both of those. 1 was a broken charge hose clamp and egr on the other. It’s quiet, smooth, powerful and haven’t had any regen issues. Knock on wood.

Users who are viewing this thread