Car and Driver magazine has released their annual Editors’ Choice honors list. With more than 400 new cars, trucks, SUVs, and vans to choose from in 2021, 7 vehicles from the Stellantis North America portfolio made the cut. The Editors’ Choice list covers 96 vehicles over 32 market segments. Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Ram, and Jeep® brands all had vehicles represented in the list (sorry, Dodge and FIAT fans). So which Ram vehicles made the cut? Let’s take a look…
2021 Ram 1500 TRX:
No surprise here, the new 2021 Ram 1500 TRX made the cut in its first year under the “full-size pickup truck” segment. Designed bolt by bolt to significantly outperform every other truck straight from the factory, the Ram 1500 TRX has been tested to handle the most punishing conditions with extreme durability. Its supercharged 702 horsepower 6.2-liter HEMI® V8 engine delivers a new level of performance for a pickup truck. The TRX is currently the quickest, fastest, and most powerful mass-produced half-ton pickup truck in the world.
How did Car and Driver rank the Ram 1500 TRX?
- HIGHS – Unbelievably quick for a pickup, unbelievably well-mannered for what it is, upscale interior inherited from the regular Ram 1500.
- LOWS – Absolutely massive proportions, absolutely terrible fuel economy, a rear-drive-only mode is absent.
- VERDICT – The 702-hp, Hellcat-powered Ram 1500 TRX goes big and never makes you want to go home.
2021 Ram 1500:
The TRX wasn’t the only Ram half-ton pickup on the list, the 2021 Ram 1500 also made the cut in the “full-size pickup truck” segment. As the no-compromise benchmark for durability, technology, efficiency, performance, and convenience in the pickup segment, Ram 1500 features up to 12,750 lbs. of towing capability and 2,300 lbs. of payload. The eTorque mild-hybrid system delivers improved fuel efficiency in both V6 (standard) and V8 configurations. The Ram 1500 is America’s most powerful half-ton diesel pickup with 480 lb.-ft. of torque and is rated at an unsurpassed 33 MPG highway and delivers up to 1,000 miles of range on a single tank of fuel.
This is what Car and Driver had to say about the 2021 Ram 1500…
- HIGHS – Rides smoother than rivals, boasts a nicer interior than rivals, more innovative features than rivals.
- LOWS – Largest touchscreen can be unresponsive, styling isn’t as bold as other half-tons, priced above its competitors.
- VERDICT – The Ram 1500 delivers unrivaled levels of innovation, luxuriousness, and refinement in a workhorse that does a good imitation of a luxury car.
2021 Ram 2500/3500 Heavy Duty:
That’s right, Ram’s half-ton offerings weren’t the only thing to make the list. The 2021 Ram 2500 and 3500 Heavy Duty models dominated the “Heavy Duty Pickup Truck” segment. The 2021 Ram Heavy Duty lineup offers a towing capacity of 37,100 lbs. and a payload capacity of 7,680 lbs. Ram Heavy Duty also sets benchmarks in comfort, luxury materials, innovation, and technology extending well past any competitive offerings. Class-leading ride and handling are accomplished via a class-exclusive link-coil rear (2500) suspension system with optional rear air suspension (2500 and 3500) and are unmatched in the segment.
Here is what Car and Driver had to say…
- HIGHS – Semi-truck-like towing capability, [the] cabin can be dressed to the nines, best ride in the Heavy-Duty class.
- LOWS – Diesel rivals have more modern transmissions, Power Wagon not available with the diesel, largest models are cumbersome in traffic.
- VERDICT – The heavy-duty Ram offers tremendous capabilities as well as unparalleled levels of luxury.
To read a more in-depth review of the seven models, you can visit the Car and Driver’s 2021 Editor’s Choice page.
What do you think of their choices? Let us know in the comments below.