Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent content by Crusty old shellback

1. Crusty old shellback

Tire cupping

My truck weighs: 4280 front axle 3080 rear axle. I had it weighed. :cool: This was when I had BFG 35x12.50R17 tires on it.
  2. Crusty old shellback

Tire cupping

I run 32F/28R cold. That gives me 37F/33R hot when tires are up to temp. But it's still a bit overinflated, especially in the rear as I only get wear on the center 2/3 of the tire. I've played with pressures from 42F/37R hot down to where I am now. Any more and I can see daylight between the...
  3. Crusty old shellback

Tire cupping

Just checked it again, both with tire on and tire off, no play in anything that I can see. Actually lifted the truck a little when prying up on my bar to check for slop in the bearing and ball joints. My pry bar is a 4 foot 1 inch dia solid steel pole they used for aligning railroad track back...
  4. Crusty old shellback

Tire cupping

Here's a few pictures. The cupping/scalloping is on the inside and outside of the tire.
  5. Crusty old shellback

Tire cupping

Put the axle up on a jack stand. Checked up and down rotated the tire. With all 4 on the ground, had the wife swing the steering wheel 10 to 2. That's when I saw the play in the track bar. Also lately, when I hit the little divits on the centerline stripe of the road, I get the death wobble for...
  6. Crusty old shellback

Crusty's 75th Annv PW #1590 build/mods adventure

I live on a private road. :cool: And the public road to get to my private road is in the boonies where noone is around at night. :D
  7. Crusty old shellback

Tire cupping

Do you have any other suggestions? I can't see anything that stands out as the issue. The track bar has slop in the bushings. And shocks have 62K miles on them. I can not see or feel and play in the ball joints or tie rod ends. And wheel bearings seem good.
  8. Crusty old shellback

Tire cupping

So talking with CJC, looking at the Carli track bar and a set of their fox 2.0 ifp performance series shocks all around.
  9. Crusty old shellback

Tire cupping

Like I said, I'm old and had a few beers since then. And I've had several alingments since then and a few different tires.
  10. Crusty old shellback

Tire cupping

Ok. Sorry I'm old and had a few beers since then. I just remember it was out of spec from the factory and we set it as close to 0 as we coukd get without being positive.
  11. Crusty old shellback

Axle u-joint replacement?

Can't go wrong with spicer.
  12. Crusty old shellback

Tire cupping

Both. Factory specs allow a positive toe. Mine was past the negative factory spec when I got it. Thuren spec is 0 or slightly negative, no positive.
  13. Crusty old shellback

Tire cupping

No. But basically it's set at 0 toe or slightly negative, no positive. Castor I had set at 3.5 originally, but moved it back to 4.
  14. Crusty old shellback

Tire cupping

I put BFG KO2s 35x12.50R17 on at 200 miles and aligned to thuren specs. I put the Baja Boss on at 35K miles. I've always rotated around 5K miles. I ran balance beads I. The tires up till the Baja Boss. The manager at 4WP would not install them. So I had to use weights. I recently put the beads...
  15. Crusty old shellback

Tire cupping

I rotate my tires every 5K. But have had to do it about every 2K now because of the cupping.