Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 2500 6.7 Battery Saver Mode

RDJ2

Reaction score
It’s 14 degrees outside. Had it plugged in for an hour. After waiting for the glow plug light to go off then starting, i put it in high idle. It went into Battery Saver mode, which cuts the heater way down, turns off the radio, and I haven’t figured out what other evils it does. The only way to get rid of the BSM message is to turn off the engine then immediately restart without waiting for the glow plug to come on. Is there anyway to shut this BSM off?

flan

Reaction score
How old are your batteries?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
No glow plugs on a Cummins... At 14°F you don't have to wait for the WTS light to extinguish on a Cummins anyhow, especially if you have been plugged in for an hour.

Only way to shut it off is to let the batteries charge back up. Your truck is cutting off non-essential power users to allow the batteries to recharge faster.

OEM batteries? If so they are likely done, I was planning to swap the ones out on my '18 before this fall but I traded it in instead.

Do you use a trickle charger to help maintain the batteries? These trucks are hard on batteries with all the computers that don't fully shut off, and batteries aren't what they used to be. I plug my truck into a NOCO Genius 5 anytime it's going to be parked for more than a few days.

RDJ2

Reaction score
How old are your batteries?
One was replaced last year (under warranty). The other passed the test barely. I was trying to get the most out of them at $400 each.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
One was replaced last year (under warranty). The other passed the test barely. I was trying to get the most out of them at $400 each.

What batteries are you buying at $400 each?

Batteries should always be replaced in pairs in these trucks. A weak battery will kill a new battery very quickly.

You likely need 2 new batteries and a good trickle charger.

Costco batteries are hard to beat and only $147/each.

Users who are viewing this thread