Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Ram 2500 6.7l Quad cab 4X spring and shock upgrades

Guystruck

Reaction score
Hey Folks
New to Blog , Hi Everyone. Here is my question: I upgraded my suspension to Progressive Springs- one and a Quarter Ton and new Longer aftermarket Bilsteins with greater travel all designed by Boise Spingworks Boise, Idaho and am Currently installing A B&W Gooseneck System top of the line rated for 32,000 Lbs designed specifically for the Ram 2500. here's the Question What 5th wheel weight would you feel comfortable Towing over a pass??? (trailer high end equipped with 4 wheel electric Disc brakes truck equipped with exhaust break and downshift lock.) what are everyone's thoughts?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Which B&W setup are you installing?

As far as 5th wheel weight, you should be able to tow any size trailer that keeps you within RAWR without hesitation.

Guystruck

Reaction score
I’m Using the B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch model # GNRK 1384 Rated@. 32k American made as far as what 5th wheel hitch not sure yet but something modern and with Air Ride or Shocks etc to prevent Chucking 6ft 4 “ Bed. I’m looking at trailers in the 36 Ft Range Dual axel independent wheel suspension and Disc brakes automobile grade not electric, trailer weight approx. 16 K . I’ve been over the Idaho pass To Lolo in late fall towing a 30 Ft. toy hauler was all steady and slow down the Drop Off to Montana Side Sometimes 10 MPH because you’d have to be crazy to Drive 30-40 MPH just 2 Ft away from A Sheer Drop off with a 2000 Ft first step. I am a Fan of preserving brakes and Low speed in Dangerous situations .
I Currently have 42k on this RiG, is there anything else you would Do bas far as upgrades other than Buy a 100K One Ton Dually ??

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If you haven’t bought the B&W yet I would consider going with the OEM 5th wheel pucks and a hitch for them as it puts all the weight on the frame and none on the bed. That is if you’re wanting to run a traditional style 5th wheel hitch.

If you’ve already got the B&W then I would look at a Reese Goosebox for the hitch.

There are certainly some wild roads here in Idaho.

Sounds like you’re on the right path.

Guystruck

Reaction score
If you haven’t bought the B&W yet I would consider going with the OEM 5th wheel pucks and a hitch for them as it puts all the weight on the frame and none on the bed. That is if you’re wanting to run a traditional style 5th wheel hitch.

If you’ve already got the B&W then I would look at a Reese Goosebox for the hitch.

There are certainly some wild roads here in Idaho.

Sounds like you’re on the right path.
Ok Reese it’s on . Yeah Trailering is An All weather Sport sometimes, you certainly won’t be counting on Any Driveway Conditions to make adjustments or repairs I carry fully charged Dewalts in 1/2 inch Drive, pry bars and Full Angle Grinders if needed. An Idaho or Montana Tow Truck might take a Day or two if your off the Beaten path .
Thanks for intel

Users who are viewing this thread