Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 68RFE , Flush or Fluid change

bnmyster

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 2500 with 6.7l diesel and the above transmission. Since I bought it used I want to service the transmission due to not knowing how the truck was used. So what do you think about Drop the pan change filters /fluids, or same thing follow by a flush. transmission only have 55000 miles on it, no issues shifting at all. the owner manual is kinda short on details on both. Any info is welcome

KneeDeep

Reaction score
The trans fluid change should be changed at 60k miles anyway, so you might want to do it early for peace of mind.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 2500 with 6.7l diesel and the above transmission. Since I bought it used I want to service the transmission due to not knowing how the truck was used. So what do you think about Drop the pan change filters /fluids, or same thing follow by a flush. transmission only have 55000 miles on it, no issues shifting at all. the owner manual is kinda short on details on both. Any info is welcome
Never flush a transmission just a fluid/filter change is all you need. You may choose to change the trans pan to one with a drain plug for ease of service in the future.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Are the newer trannies even flushable? Most flush machines tee into the cooler lines and a lot of transmissions have thermal blocks in the lines to prevent flow to the cooler till the trans is up to temp - makes flushing impossible.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If the fluid looks good just do the standard drain and fill.

Dave01

Reaction score
Never flush a transmission just a fluid/filter change is all you need. You may choose to change the trans pan to one with a drain plug for ease of service in the future.
I'm in agreement, never ever flush any transmission no matter how badly someone says they want you to do it. Pan drop fluid and filter change is the way to go.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm in agreement, never ever flush any transmission no matter how badly someone says they want you to do it. Pan drop fluid and filter change is the way to go.
I have seen enough transmissions fail not long after flushing them, many shops will not flush transmissions and do not even own a hot flush machine

bnmyster

Reaction score
Thank you all for the info. Now if you only drop the pan and change the filters, will the oil in the torque converter will eventually mix with the new transmission oil?

jetrinka

Reaction score
Thank you all for the info. Now if you only drop the pan and change the filters, will the oil in the torque converter will eventually mix with the new transmission oil?
Yes it’ll all mix together in short time.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I have seen enough transmissions fail not long after flushing them, many shops will not flush transmissions and do not even own a hot flush machine
Depends on the machine. The ones I’ve used are merely allow fluid exchange via a cooler line and the pump in the trans. Utilizes a cylinder with two chambers - the clean chamber is full and as the trans pumps dirty fluid into the dirty chamber it simultaneously forces fluid out of the clean side at the same rate back to the trans.

Power flushing can be frowned upon but IMO if the trans fails, it was likely to in short order anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread