Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019+ Frequent Regeneration Issue Tracking Sheet

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Owners with Regeneration Frequency Issues:

I’m going to start compiling data on the trucks experiencing regeneration frequency problems. If your 2019+ Cummins powered Ram HD is regenerating more frequently than you believe it should, or has demonstrated trouble code P2459, I’d like to get data from you.

Based on the lessons learned from my Aisin K1 snap ring spreadsheet, I’m going to attempt to go about this a different way. I’ll be using a Google online form. You fill it out and submit it electronically on your mobile device or computer and I’ll be able to get your information that way. This should make it a more streamlined process.

I would recommend opening the form, reviewing the info, and making sure you have all the data prior to starting the form. You won’t be able to go back and make changes once it is submitted. The form will generate the information that will ultimately be compiled on the publicly viewed spreadsheet, which I will post a link to once we start getting the info in.

Here is a link to the data submission form:

https://forms.gle/gbVRwtFzhNPVZ2mS6

Edit 9/15/23: Finally got the first data from the responses to the submission form uploaded to the crowd sourced tracking spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is set up for public viewing. Please follow this link to see the sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14bISF2nKiXzO7QWlsHJHS6Z7R_HaNgsfyfXCy_z7SEM/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

baker01

Reaction score
Thank you for doing this. I have not had the issue, however a spreadsheet tracking this issue may come in handy.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Edited my initial post to include the link to the publicly viewable data spreadsheet. Information uploaded is based on responses from the submission form.

baker01

Reaction score
It seems like I am seeing new posts about this issue quite often. This post has not had activity since September, how can we get this made into a sticky thread? Maybe we would get more data entered into mbarber84's spreadsheet.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
**UPDATE**

The information shown below is some guidance from STAR regarding the P2459 issues many trucks have been demonstrating. This is not an official TSB as of yet, but rather more in-depth information and guidance from technical support regarding this issue. Please use this information to help aid your dealer / tech in addressing your truck. As of right now I don’t believe it’s being passed out to everyone….yet.
IMG_4620.jpegIMG_4621.jpeg

k72nova

Reaction score
I have all my info but I’m going to wait a few more weeks to fill this out unless there is a way for me to either edit it later or give you the info to edit. I got my truck back from the shop a few weeks ago and it hasn’t been doing a constant regen since but still does regen about every 250ish miles. All they did was replace the DPF and I don’t want to fill out the form as if the issue is resolved if it starts doing a constant regen again.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I have all my info but I’m going to wait a few more weeks to fill this out unless there is a way for me to either edit it later or give you the info to edit. I got my truck back from the shop a few weeks ago and it hasn’t been doing a constant regen since but still does regen about every 250ish miles. All they did was replace the DPF and I don’t want to fill out the form as if the issue is resolved if it starts doing a constant regen again.
Ok keep monitoring and let us know

301cummins

Reaction score
My truck had frequent regens anywhere from 150 miles to 200. I had a drop in K&N. After reading some of the posts, went ahead and got a banks CAI. Havent had a regen yet. These trucks are very very picky

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
My truck had frequent regens anywhere from 150 miles to 200. I had a drop in K&N. After reading some of the posts, went ahead and got a banks CAI. Havent had a regen yet. These trucks are very very picky
If your truck has 1,000 miles or more on it since you’ve installed the banks kit, it’s had regenerations. You’re just not having them every 150-200 miles anymore which is good.

301cummins

Reaction score
Correct. Don’t want to mislead anyone. They are far less frequent. I was starting to worry there for a bit

oledirteh

Reaction score
i know Banks is a sensitive subject on this forum, but after i installed the monster intake and CAI setup, i only go into full regen every 24 hours now and the gauge never goes above 10% between that. When it does the 24 hour regen, it lasts for about 12 miles at this point. Last regen was at this numberregen.jpg

dont mind the mpgs, had just got done towing my 12k toyhauler

Units

Reaction score
Towing with these trucks is key to keeping the emissions systems happy. I too, was worried at first about too frequent of regeneration becoming a problem. Between tracking regens, reading others experiences and some “seat of the pants” experimentation, I’m currently averaging 700+ miles between active regeneration and that’s using my truck as a DD.
Once I notice my DPF gauge get to around 1/3 full, I’ll take my flat bed trailer on a quick 20-30 mile jaunt and it will take the gauge down to zero and stay that way for quite a while. I feel like I have “cracked the code” lol.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Towing with these trucks is key to keeping the emissions systems happy. I too, was worried at first about too frequent of regeneration becoming a problem. Between tracking regens, reading others experiences and some “seat of the pants” experimentation, I’m currently averaging 700+ miles between active regeneration and that’s using my truck as a DD.
Once I notice my DPF gauge get to around 1/3 full, I’ll take my flat bed trailer on a quick 20-30 mile jaunt and it will take the gauge down to zero and stay that way for quite a while. I feel like I have “cracked the code” lol.
Towing is excellent for quick and effective passive regeneration. However you should be able to keep the soot load to zero with regular highway travel provided you’re able to run 70-75mph consistently for a minimum of 15-30 minutes.

Units

Reaction score
It will stay at zero -IF- I don’t run around town at all. But, that’s not the case in my travels. I could run it out to the 24 hr mark if I ran my trailer 1 more time in that 24hr span, but I don’t always have time for that. Those are my experiences, and while I understand 1000 mi/ 24 hr regens are optimal, I also understand that not every truck operates the exact same way ( I’ll use some using after market air intakes and having no problems for instance) and not everyone’s driving habits are the same. So hopefully me detailing my experience and learning with my new truck will help someone who is not quite sure what to do for their truck to operate properly. Of course, YMMV.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
It will stay at zero -IF- I don’t run around town at all. But, that’s not the case in my travels. I could run it out to the 24 hr mark if I ran my trailer 1 more time in that 24hr span, but I don’t always have time for that. Those are my experiences, and while I understand 1000 mi/ 24 hr regens are optimal, I also understand that not every truck operates the exact same way ( I’ll use some using after market air intakes and having no problems for instance) and not everyone’s driving habits are the same. So hopefully me detailing my experience and learning with my new truck will help someone who is not quite sure what to do for their truck to operate properly. Of course, YMMV.
Yeah the short trips are tough on the system. Especially if they’re repetitive and the truck is never reaching operating temp.

301cummins

Reaction score
My next purchase will be the banks intake manifold. Super happy with even just the CAI

oledirteh

Reaction score
My next purchase will be the banks intake manifold. Super happy with even just the CAI
people poopoo on it, and say snake oil, might be the case but it looks good and makes great truck sounds now lol. CAI really makes the turbo whistle loud. the intake i cant say did anything but looks good and opened the system up when it replaced the heater grid. 0 regrets.

Users who are viewing this thread