Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 PW Front passenger axle shaft re-installation (after Ball Joints)

G.N.G

Reaction score
Good evening all!

After 9 hours' effort I have to take a break and ask for help. I am in the midst of replacing the ball joints on my 2019 Power Wagon AND... I have hit a snag. I got the OEM ball joints out and the new Carli ball joints in (with considerable effort ;)) and got ready to reinstall the axle. Lo and behold it won't go in. Looking down the axle tube I see the seal and behind the seal is a splined "something". I'm sure it engages with the axle splines but here's the thing... it is off center. In fact, I took a piece of tubing and reached down to it and it just flops around. Is something broken in my front diff? There doesn't seem to be a way to center it so I can re-install the axle. Thank you in advance for any and all advice!

G.N.G
2019 Ram Power Wagon
100k + miles
Thuren Front & Rear Track Bar
Carli Ball Joints

Attachments

• In tube 0.jpg
    In tube 0.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 35
  • In tube 1.JPG
    In tube 1.JPG
    422.3 KB · Views: 35
  • In tube 2.JPG
    In tube 2.JPG
    317.5 KB · Views: 35

G.N.G

Reaction score
That was it! Thank you for the reply ... I thought I was about to find something broken (Expensive) in there. Thank you again and have a great evening!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yea these trucks its best to put them in 4WD before pulling the passenger side axle

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Yea these trucks its best to put them in 4WD before pulling the passenger side axle
So, the collar for the CAD (Center axle disconnect) in 2-wheel drive is only mated to the outer part of the passenger side axle and then when place into 4-wheel drive it mates to the inner shaft that is in the side gear of the differential correct? This seems correct as it would match the wheel speed of the drivers side.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So, the collar for the CAD (Center axle disconnect) in 2-wheel drive is only mated to the outer part of the passenger side axle and then when place into 4-wheel drive it mates to the inner shaft that is in the side gear of the differential correct? This seems correct as it would match the wheel speed of the drivers side.
Yes the 2nd gens were on the intermediate shaft which may change in the axles easier as you didn’t have to line up the collar when putting the axle in

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Yes the 2nd gens were on the intermediate shaft which may change in the axles easier as you didn’t have to line up the collar when putting the axle in
This my first Ram/Dodge pickup so I need to file that bit of information away for the future.

Users who are viewing this thread