Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 ram tradesman manual seat swap to electric seats

M Penwald

Reaction score
Any Ram 4th gen seat 2010 and up will bolt in as will 2019-up HD seats. The new body style 1500 seats will not bolt in so don’t even try it.

There are lots of variations on seats depending on whether or not they have side air bags, heated and heated/cooled functions. I swapped a 2020 HD Laramie Longhorn seat set into my 2019 HD Tradesman and ran into some interesting issues with the passenger side seat belt sensors. I tossed the Laramie center console and hand cut/sewed matching tan leather surfaces into the original Tradesman center jump seat.

I have a security bypass module installed and AlfaOBD and the heated/cooled functions still do not work. I gave up about 6 months ago on making them work but may get back to it. My truck has been at the dealer for a little over 2 months total in the 10 months I’ve owned it. Worst vehicle I’ve ever owned hands down.

wmattert

Reaction score
Any Ram 4th gen seat 2010 and up will bolt in as will 2019-up HD seats. The new body style 1500 seats will not bolt in so don’t even try it.

There are lots of variations on seats depending on whether or not they have side air bags, heated and heated/cooled functions. I swapped a 2020 HD Laramie Longhorn seat set into my 2019 HD Tradesman and ran into some interesting issues with the passenger side seat belt sensors. I tossed the Laramie center console and hand cut/sewed matching tan leather surfaces into the original Tradesman center jump seat.

I have a security bypass module installed and AlfaOBD and the heated/cooled functions still do not work. I gave up about 6 months ago on making them work but may get back to it. My truck has been at the dealer for a little over 2 months total in the 10 months I’ve owned it. Worst vehicle I’ve ever owned hands down.
Did you ever figure out the seat belt sensors errors. I just did this swap and have run into the same issue. As far as getting the heated and vented seats going, I can help you with the settings you need with AphaOBD.

M Penwald

Reaction score
Did you ever figure out the seat belt sensors errors. I just did this swap and have run into the same issue. As far as getting the heated and vented seats going, I can help you with the settings you need with AphaOBD.
No, the passenger side seat belt/seat presence sensor throws an air bag error code. The only work around I have so far is to keep the old seat belt base plugged into the old harness and set under the passenger seat. In other words, I have the new passenger seat belt latch that was mounted on the new seats but had to retain the old Tradesman passenger seat wiring harness and use it to connect to the existing body harness and also had to retain the old Tradesman seat belt latch with it plugged into the original harness and laid under the seat. Haven’t taken the time to dig deeper and tackle this. I’d have to take pictures....hard to describe but easy to see what I did. I basically married the old and new harness by replacing/swapping pins from the old and new seat harnesses into the same plug that connects to the body harness.

As a new side note, I tried swapping 2019 Power Wagon seats into a 2017 and immediately got air bag errors so I didn’t go further. It was just a temp swap out of curiosity.

I would love expertise and guideance on the heat/cool setup in AlphaOBD.

wmattert

Reaction score
If you can get me pics of what you did I would appreciate it. I ordered an airbag module for a 2020 limited. I will let you know if that helps. I am sure there is a way we can get this figured out.

Here’s all the settings changes associated with getting the heated/ventilated seats to work:
ECUConfig 3: front heated seats present- yes
ECUConfig 3: front ventilated seats present- yes
ECUConfig 3: heated steering wheel present- yes
ECUConfig 4: heated seat present- yes
LIN & Misc: left rear climate seat switch present- yes
LIN & Misc: right rear climate seat switch present- yes
Seats A: rear heated seat levels- 3 level (high/med/low/off)
Seats B: front heated seat levels- 3 level (high/med/low/off)
Seats B: wheel material type expansion- type 3
Seats B: seat material front- type 3
Seats B: seat material rear- type 2
CustSetMenu 1: auto on comfort CSM present- yes
CustSetMenu 1: easy exit seat CSM present- yes
Cabin Net: CSWM comfort seat wheel module- enabled
Cabin Net: CRSM comfort rear seats module- enabled

These are the memory seat settings that will only work if you have installed the memory switch on the inside driver door panel:
Memory: driver memory seat present- yes
Memory: rear heated seats present- yes
Memory: front vented seats present- yes
Memory: heated steering wheel present- yes
Memory: front heated seats present- yes
Memory: rear vented seats present- yes
CustSetMenu 2: RKE linked to memory CSM- yes
Cabin Net: MSM memory seat module- enabled

And, lastly- if you end up installing exterior mirrors that are memory capable:
Doors: driver memory mirrors present- yes
Doors: passenger memory mirrors present- yes
CustSetMenu 2: tilt mirrors in reverse CSM present- yes

Austo

Reaction score
If you can get me pics of what you did I would appreciate it. I ordered an airbag module for a 2020 limited. I will let you know if that helps. I am sure there is a way we can get this figured out.

Here’s all the settings changes associated with getting the heated/ventilated seats to work:
ECUConfig 3: front heated seats present- yes
ECUConfig 3: front ventilated seats present- yes
ECUConfig 3: heated steering wheel present- yes
ECUConfig 4: heated seat present- yes
LIN & Misc: left rear climate seat switch present- yes
LIN & Misc: right rear climate seat switch present- yes
Seats A: rear heated seat levels- 3 level (high/med/low/off)
Seats B: front heated seat levels- 3 level (high/med/low/off)
Seats B: wheel material type expansion- type 3
Seats B: seat material front- type 3
Seats B: seat material rear- type 2
CustSetMenu 1: auto on comfort CSM present- yes
CustSetMenu 1: easy exit seat CSM present- yes
Cabin Net: CSWM comfort seat wheel module- enabled
Cabin Net: CRSM comfort rear seats module- enabled

These are the memory seat settings that will only work if you have installed the memory switch on the inside driver door panel:
Memory: driver memory seat present- yes
Memory: rear heated seats present- yes
Memory: front vented seats present- yes
Memory: heated steering wheel present- yes
Memory: front heated seats present- yes
Memory: rear vented seats present- yes
CustSetMenu 2: RKE linked to memory CSM- yes
Cabin Net: MSM memory seat module- enabled

And, lastly- if you end up installing exterior mirrors that are memory capable:
Doors: driver memory mirrors present- yes
Doors: passenger memory mirrors present- yes
CustSetMenu 2: tilt mirrors in reverse CSM present- yes

Was it difficult to get the power seats to work? I just dropped off my Tradesman W/ Laramie seats and my guy's acting like even just hooking up the seats to use the power adjustability won't work? Is it somewhat plug and play for that aspect at least? Any help I'd appreciate.

M Penwald

Reaction score
It wasn’t overly easy nor was it impossible. I’ve found that different power seats from the 2019+ are wired differently depending on the presence or absence of a center console or center jump seat. The biggest issue I’ve run into is the occupant presence and seat belt sensors for the airbag system. Your vehicle will throw codes and warning lights if it’s not correct.

Austo

Reaction score
It wasn’t overly easy nor was it impossible. I’ve found that different power seats from the 2019+ are wired differently depending on the presence or absence of a center console or center jump seat. The biggest issue I’ve run into is the occupant presence and seat belt sensors for the airbag system. Your vehicle will throw codes and warning lights if it’s not correct.

Is there a thread you've seen that explains it well?

wmattert

Reaction score
Penwald is correct. Easiest way to make it work is to take those connections off your Tradesman seats and put them on new seats. You will have power to them with nothing else needed, but you need to get codes delt with. I have mine all working now and no codes.

Austo

Reaction score
Penwald is correct. Easiest way to make it work is to take those connections off your Tradesman seats and put them on new seats. You will have power to them with nothing else needed, but you need to get codes delt with. I have mine all working now and no codes.

Thank you for the update.

Jackmup

Reaction score
I want to add just the driver power, i have a 2020 tradesman do you happen to remeber the colors for pos/neg in the seat harness or is it pretty much self evident (ie 2 thicker wires with no connections to the cab harness) i figured i would run a circuit with an ign on relay to power it.

Gray8188

Reaction score
Possible to just switch out the power seat tracks from a big horn and put the tradesman seat on it? All I really care about is the seat having up and down adjustability.

JustARam22

Reaction score
A bit late but trying to install some Laramie seats into my big horn. Should I expect some airbag lights. Its a 2021 2500 big horn. Seats are out of a 2020 Laramie.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
A bit late but trying to install some Laramie seats into my big horn. Should I expect some airbag lights. Its a 2021 2500 big horn. Seats are out of a 2020 Laramie.
No it should be the same

Smurf

Reaction score
How did you take care of the codes , I have a 2020 , 2500 Tradesman . I would like to find power seat for driver side and change out. thanks

JPRAM

Reaction score
Do you have any tips with getting the passenger seat seat belt sensor working? Additionally, I have a connector on the driver side seat that does not match up with my harness. Did you have this issue as well? I swapped 2021 Laramie seats into a tradesman.

Users who are viewing this thread