Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 ram CAT rear filter conversion

Trash Panda

Reaction score
Hello all,

I’ve been strongly looking at the rear CAT filter conversion from BMP, and was wondering if there was any feedback someone on here had.

I have no qualms with the front filter assembley, and love the quality of it, but the rear assembley is a gigantic pain in the ass.

Plastic lid nearly siezed on, it’s a huge mess to change, and filter availability is suspect at times. I feel like filtration quality at the rear isn’t nearly as important with the nano net up front, and I love the convenience of a spin on for the rear.

Any thoughts on possible fuel gelling easier with a metal can, contamination, or just general preference?

Thanks,

-TP

g00fy

Reaction score
I got one mainly for convenience, and it was worth it, it took less time installing the whole kit, than it did to do a filter swap in the stock plastic housing. I don't know why, but the plastic housing would always seize on, and regardless of how much of any kind of lubricant I put on the O-ring, it would bind going back on as well. The spin on filters are so much easier to change, and they're easier to find when it's time to buy.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I don’t know why Ram can’t go to spin-on filters front and back! Industrial, commercial and agricultural are all pretty much spinnin. If it’s good enough for the oil why not the fuel? :mad:

Trash Panda

Reaction score
I got one mainly for convenience, and it was worth it, it took less time installing the whole kit, than it did to do a filter swap in the stock plastic housing. I don't know why, but the plastic housing would always seize on, and regardless of how much of any kind of lubricant I put on the O-ring, it would bind going back on as well. The spin on filters are so much easier to change, and they're easier to find when it's time to buy.
I’m really strongly considering it and running Donaldson filters on the unit.

This particular unit has the same emulsified water separation rating as the OEM system, and doesn’t have the asinine upside down cartridge system that binds up as you have seen.

Trash Panda

Reaction score
I don’t know why Ram can’t go to spin-on filters front and back! Industrial, commercial and agricultural are all pretty much spinnin. If it’s good enough for the oil why not the fuel? :mad:
I do absolutely hate cartridge filters, and especially ones with plastic lids that seem to enjoy binding up.

However, the efficiency of the front unit with the nanonet filters is almost impossible to beat, so that one will have to stay as far as I’m concerned.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

It really is odd that they don’t use spin-on filters. There are plenty of good filtration options and heated filter heads already available. There isn’t a good reason to use the filter setup they do, at least not that I’m figuring out.

Unless you run a different filter than supplied with the kit you have reduced overall filtration effectiveness and fuel/water separation and put your warranty at risk for any fuel related issue. Is that worth the convenience?

I have yet to see an aftermarket filter setup that actually has the appropriate filters on it.

g00fy

Reaction score
It really is odd that they don’t use spin-on filters. There are plenty of good filtration options and heated filter heads already available. There isn’t a good reason to use the filter setup they do, at least not that I’m figuring out.

Unless you run a different filter than supplied with the kit you have reduced overall filtration effectiveness and fuel/water separation and put your warranty at risk for any fuel related issue. Is that worth the convenience?

I have yet to see an aftermarket filter setup that actually has the appropriate filters on it.
My warranty is about to time out... so yes it is worth it.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
My warranty is about to time out... so yes it is worth it.

I would still run a different filter than the supplied cat if you haven’t already. Cat filters aren’t rated as good at f/w separation.

bigboost

Reaction score
I would still run a different filter than the supplied cat if you haven’t already. Cat filters aren’t rated as good at f/w separation.
What is your recommendation if not the included CAT filters?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If it fits the P553203 is a great option. It likely has similar f/w separation ratings as the OEM filter, but I’m still trying to find those specs. It meets the filtration requirement in the owners manual.

bigboost

Reaction score
If it fits the P553203 is a great option. It likely has similar f/w separation ratings as the OEM filter, but I’m still trying to find those specs. It meets the filtration requirement in the owners manual.
Thank you. I have the BMP filter housings in the shop and haven't put them on yet. I'll give that a try.

flan

Reaction score
Fleece uses it on their CTD + Dmax kits. They state it’s 3 Micron. $25 a filter isn’t terrible either.

g00fy

Reaction score
Keep us posted, I'm absolutely open to using a better filter especially since they're so cheap & easy to swap out.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
The housings look beautiful- that rear filter looks nice. If it’s the same micron then it’s a good alternative

Users who are viewing this thread