Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Tailgate light washes out backup cam - any suggestions?

BigRigWrecker

Reaction score
I have a 22 3500 Longhorn. When I’m reverse, there is a light tucked under the tailgate release that turns on and washes out the backup cam… especially when it is wet or snowy.
My 20 limited did not have that light, and the difference is night and day… it makes the back up cam unusable. I like the light when I’m hooking up a trailer in the dark, but otherwise it’s just a pain.
Has anyone found a setting to disable it, or managed to disconnect it without breaking anything else?
I’m thinking about wiring it up to one of my aux. switches.

See two photos… first one is in reverse, second one is in drive without the light. To my knowledge, there is no way to disable it in settings.
image.jpgimage.jpg

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have not seen a way to disable it, but I’ve also not had any issues with it washing out the image in the snow.

BigRigWrecker

Reaction score
You are running a 22, does that light come on when you throw it into reverse too? I attempted to disable and enable the lights when in reverse through the uconnect… but it didn’t seem to do anything at all so I’m wondering if maybe that’s just jacked up some how.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
How does it look when the camera is clean? Even without the light it does not look like you would be able to see anything out of it

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
You are running a 22, does that light come on when you throw it into reverse too? I attempted to disable and enable the lights when in reverse through the uconnect… but it didn’t seem to do anything at all so I’m wondering if maybe that’s just jacked up some how.

Yes it comes on in reverse and I’ve only found it to be helpful. Plenty of snow/ice/rain/road grime since I bought the truck and the light is great, but the camera needs cleaned often.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I have a 22 3500 Longhorn. When I’m reverse, there is a light tucked under the tailgate release that turns on and washes out the backup cam… especially when it is wet or snowy.
My 20 limited did not have that light, and the difference is night and day… it makes the back up cam unusable. I like the light when I’m hooking up a trailer in the dark, but otherwise it’s just a pain.
Has anyone found a setting to disable it, or managed to disconnect it without breaking anything else?
I’m thinking about wiring it up to one of my aux. switches.

See two photos… first one is in reverse, second one is in drive without the light. To my knowledge, there is no way to disable it in settings.
View attachment 51033View attachment 51034
I JUST did what you are wanting to do yesterday. I added that light to my 2017, and when I initially did it, I had it on an aux switch (the BCM I was using didn’t support it to work like factory). Then I swapped in a 2022 BCM, and rewired to function like factory. During snow we had last week, it was the same for me reversing at night while it’s snowing- the light reflects off the flakes (or rain drops), and blinds the camera (even if I get out and wipe the lens).
So, I went back to the aux switch for on demand, and it is absolutely a night and day difference to how that light affects the camera.

Anyway, there’s no way to disable it or change its behavior via programming. You would depin the wire at the BCM (big connector on the right, position 37), and attach it to your aux switch output.

BigRigWrecker

Reaction score
I JUST did what you are wanting to do yesterday. I added that light to my 2017, and when I initially did it, I had it on an aux switch (the BCM I was using didn’t support it to work like factory). Then I swapped in a 2022 BCM, and rewired to function like factory. During snow we had last week, it was the same for me reversing at night while it’s snowing- the light reflects off the flakes (or rain drops), and blinds the camera (even if I get out and wipe the lens).
So, I went back to the aux switch for on demand, and it is absolutely a night and day difference to how that light affects the camera.

Anyway, there’s no way to disable it or change its behavior via programming. You would depin the wire at the BCM (big connector on the right, position 37), and attach it to your aux switch output.
Man! Thank you, glad I’m not nuts at least… if I get around to it I’ll post some pictures.

I’m sure that damn light was the result of a “no bad ideas” how do we “incrementally improve” this thing think tank where someone who doesn’t even own a pair boots suggest it… and no one ever actually tested it.

BigRigWrecker

Reaction score
Yes it comes on in reverse and I’ve only found it to be helpful. Plenty of snow/ice/rain/road grime since I bought the truck and the light is great, but the camera needs cleaned often.
Yeah love the light… just not with the camera! I have buddies with fords and chevys though so I ain’t complainin… probably would not be such an issue if my windows weren’t so dark that I can’t use my mirrors at night… and I hate rolling them down in rain and snow because I don’t want the leather in the doors to get trashed… talk about first world problems:)

BigRigWrecker

Reaction score
How does it look when the camera is clean? Even without the light it does not look like you would be able to see anything out of it
Oh man when it’s clean it’s ok at best… to be honest I think without the light is better even when it’s clean because it is not so bright in the dark truck… like the brightness of light still washes out the clean view, but it also makes it hard for eyes to adjust and toggle between looking at the screen and looking at anything else in the dark if that makes sense

afiaccone

Reaction score
I am also interested in this post. I wonder if anyone has found a solution?

afiaccone

Reaction score
Understood, however the instructions are not detailed enough for me to follow. Is there a diagram or picture that I can review.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Understood, however the instructions are not detailed enough for me to follow. Is there a diagram or picture that I can review.

The solution is as stated.

Where to locate the BCM connector and how to wire to AUX are covered in other sticky threads.

afiaccone

Reaction score
Brutal - thanks for your reply.

I did and advanced search for the string "locate the BCM connector" and "wire to aux" and both return 0 hits.

Is there a link you can easily share to the thread on this topic? I obviously can keep searching but just joined this forum so I am new to the navigation.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread