Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Trailer Towing Cameras & Surround Cameras - Available or Not? And how to order a config that will work...

Shteff

Reaction score
Hey I got a 23 2500 big horn on order I got it with the towing technology package and level B equipment group so it comes with the surround cameras and bed camera.I saw a video that sowed the new 2500 also has two camera on the mirror one for the 360 view and one beside the convex mirror. I’m just wondering if that second camera on the mirror is an option. Or that’s how they come when you get the surround cameras.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey I got a 23 2500 big horn on order I got it with the towing technology package and level B equipment group so it comes with the surround cameras and bed camera.I saw a video that sowed the new 2500 also has two camera on the mirror one for the 360 view and one beside the convex mirror. I’m just wondering if that second camera on the mirror is an option. Or that’s how they come when you get the surround cameras.

That’s the DRVM 3.0. I don’t believe it’s offered on Laramie and below trim levels.

Shteff

Reaction score
That’s the DRVM 3.0. I don’t believe it’s offered on Laramie and below trim levels.
Drvm 3.0 I didn’t see that but the video I saw they were showing that feature on a rebel. Witch is lower then the laramie so the drvm is a package?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Drvm 3.0 I didn’t see that but the video I saw they were showing that feature on a rebel. Witch is lower then the laramie so the drvm is a package?

It’s part of the towing technology group, which includes the 3.0 mirror and reverse trailer steering.

Not sure on the rebel, but the only place I see it listed is for longhorn and limited.

I believe several Rebel features are currently only found in advertising.

jsalbre

Reaction score
@AH64ID is correct, the DRVM was never available for the Rebel. They showed a bunch of pre-production Rebels around to all of the media and every single one had the DRVM and most had the extra side cameras, but when they opened ordering they were no where to be found. I actually have several emails from Ram stating that contrary to what the order guide said my Rebel would show up with a DRVM. Big surprise it delivered without one.

Shteff

Reaction score
It’s part of the towing technology group, which includes the 3.0 mirror and reverse trailer steering.

Not sure on the rebel, but the only place I see it listed is for longhorn and limited.

Oh

oh ok makes sense I did get the towing technology group but I got a bighorn I didn’t see it listed there interesting.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
oh ok makes sense I did get the towing technology group but I got a bighorn I didn’t see it listed there interesting.

Correct, not part of the towing tech group on a bighorn.

masterbeat

Reaction score
Hey everyone following this thread about Trailer Surround Cameras... are you ready for a laugh? If we can't laugh about this I actually want to cry. Or scream. The ongoing saga with getting Trailer Surround Cameras to work continues...

To summarize, based on original answer to my first question starting this thread from @jsalbre saying that if my truck came wired with surround mode i'd have the necessary connections for trailer surround, i've gone down a rabbit's hole of trying to get it to work. Based on other answers from @CortexM0 @Jimmy07 (who has even helped with AlfaOBD), I ordered the trailer surround camera kit, the trailer gateway that people have said we might need, and the mounting bracket.

Here's where it gets fun... when I originally ordered this 3500 Limited, I wanted all of it to come with the truck and JUST WORK like RAM frigging advertises. But as we all know, supply contraints made it so you couldn't actually order the cameras at the time of truck order for some of us. But, my salesman said when i did get it all, they'd install it. How can you go wrong there, right? Have the dealer install the hardware so i don't have to tear apart the dash, and have them activate it in the software so I don't have to deal with AlfaOBD. Should be easy. Nope, NIGHTMARE. Imagine my surprise after dealer has had the car for a full day when they call to tell me "the security gateway you brought won't program and now your truck isn't working at all." WTF? OMG I did NOT bring you a security gateway. Long story short (i'll say that 10 more times during this saga), they didn't pay attention to a word I said about what they were supposed to be doing, the service rep typed one line into the 'order' when the car goes back to the technician that says "install customer supplied gateway", the technician incorrectly thought the part was the security gateway (do they really look that alike and have the same pins?) and then of course the vehicle stopped working.

I lost it on them this morning and re-explained that this was a TRAILER GATEWAY, where it was supposed to go, etc - and sure enough, when they took apart the lower cluster underneath start button and reached behind the Uconnect, they found the taped off connectors that @CortexM0 and @Jimmy07 describes in this thread:

And they plugged it in.

Now for the next part of the adventure - they can't for the life of them figure out how to "TURN ON" or activate the Trailer Surround Camera in the Uconnect (which @Jimmy07 describes how to do with AlfaOBD). They first tried to tell me they'd activated it, but sure enough, the Uconnect still only showed Aux1 and Aux2, no Trailer Surround button. When I asked them how they "activated it" they said there are 'sales codes' they can plug in that would tell the vehicle i had the option. That didn't work. Then they showed me the system they use to talk to the OBD and it has this "topology" menu showing a branch of options (i wish i'd taken a picture) but it's like list of options that are white or gray they can click on. My 'config' under their "topology' menu shows TSVCM at the bottom and it's grayed out, which they insist means my vehicle doesn't have that. Yes, guys, we know my vehicle doesn't have it, you're supposed to ACTIVATE IT. But they stare at you with a blank look on their face like they have no clue how to do that. And this is supposedly the best RAM service center in the state. And they can't find any docs from RAM on how to install or turn this thing on. I was showing them the forums. So actual RAM dealerships are looking at these forums trying to figure out how to activate TSVCM after a sale, (which both dealership and RAM say can be added later if the wiring is there), but how the hell is it supposed to be added later if the dealer doesn't know how to activate it? They didn't even know about the trailer gateway, as mentioned, when they typed in the part # they claim it came up as a security gateway and they thought they needed to replace mine. Shaking my head in disbelief.

Here's the last part of this saga - even though they couldn't activate it in the software, they decided to unbox the trailer surround camera kit and plug it in to the 12 pin on the bumper. Crazily, when hitting the AUX1 camera button, all of the cameras appeared in the UCONNECT, on the left side, perfectly arranged as a surround top down view. So, even though trailer surround camera isn't activated in the software or appearing as a button, the AUX camera button does activate them in the deisplay and they do seem to work, showing surround view around a trailer! (they weren't installed on a trailer yet, but you could tell they were working). I could swear somewhere i read that if Trailer Surround wasn't activated, this wouldn't work.

So now the final BIG quesiton is, should i still bother with trying to get either the dealership to figure this out, or hack in with AlfaOBD myself to get that button labelled Trailer Surround instead of AUX? Or should i be happy with how it's working now and call it a day? Is there some benefit i'm missing out on by not having it truly labelled or acknowledged as Trailer Surround? I've seen people mention you can enter dimensions and settings for trailer size and height, but i don't see where you would do that.

Oh, and to top it all off - the above works with OR WITHOUT the trailer gateway described by @Jimmy07 and @CortexM0 in the other thread, where it seemed this was necessary. The AUX button shows the surround cameras plugged in to the 12 pin with or without that gateway hooked up... so do I even need it? SO CONFUSED.

I'm so frustrated with RAM for this nightmare - (A) heavily advertising and promoting these camera features that they are making impossibe to get, and then when you finally do get them, (B) having dealerships that are completelly clueless about how to make them work.

Appreciate any help and input, thoughts, laughter, etc on the above.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Hey everyone following this thread about Trailer Surround Cameras... are you ready for a laugh? If we can't laugh about this I actually want to cry. Or scream. The ongoing saga with getting Trailer Surround Cameras to work continues...

To summarize, based on original answer to my first question starting this thread from @jsalbre saying that if my truck came wired with surround mode i'd have the necessary connections for trailer surround, i've gone down a rabbit's hole of trying to get it to work. Based on other answers from @CortexM0 @Jimmy07 (who has even helped with AlfaOBD), I ordered the trailer surround camera kit, the trailer gateway that people have said we might need, and the mounting bracket.

Here's where it gets fun... when I originally ordered this 3500 Limited, I wanted all of it to come with the truck and JUST WORK like RAM frigging advertises. But as we all know, supply contraints made it so you couldn't actually order the cameras at the time of truck order for some of us. But, my salesman said when i did get it all, they'd install it. How can you go wrong there, right? Have the dealer install the hardware so i don't have to tear apart the dash, and have them activate it in the software so I don't have to deal with AlfaOBD. Should be easy. Nope, NIGHTMARE. Imagine my surprise after dealer has had the car for a full day when they call to tell me "the security gateway you brought won't program and now your truck isn't working at all." WTF? OMG I did NOT bring you a security gateway. Long story short (i'll say that 10 more times during this saga), they didn't pay attention to a word I said about what they were supposed to be doing, the service rep typed one line into the 'order' when the car goes back to the technician that says "install customer supplied gateway", the technician incorrectly thought the part was the security gateway (do they really look that alike and have the same pins?) and then of course the vehicle stopped working.

I lost it on them this morning and re-explained that this was a TRAILER GATEWAY, where it was supposed to go, etc - and sure enough, when they took apart the lower cluster underneath start button and reached behind the Uconnect, they found the taped off connectors that @CortexM0 and @Jimmy07 describes in this thread:

And they plugged it in.

Now for the next part of the adventure - they can't for the life of them figure out how to "TURN ON" or activate the Trailer Surround Camera in the Uconnect (which @Jimmy07 describes how to do with AlfaOBD). They first tried to tell me they'd activated it, but sure enough, the Uconnect still only showed Aux1 and Aux2, no Trailer Surround button. When I asked them how they "activated it" they said there are 'sales codes' they can plug in that would tell the vehicle i had the option. That didn't work. Then they showed me the system they use to talk to the OBD and it has this "topology" menu showing a branch of options (i wish i'd taken a picture) but it's like list of options that are white or gray they can click on. My 'config' under their "topology' menu shows TSVCM at the bottom and it's grayed out, which they insist means my vehicle doesn't have that. Yes, guys, we know my vehicle doesn't have it, you're supposed to ACTIVATE IT. But they stare at you with a blank look on their face like they have no clue how to do that. And this is supposedly the best RAM service center in the state. And they can't find any docs from RAM on how to install or turn this thing on. I was showing them the forums. So actual RAM dealerships are looking at these forums trying to figure out how to activate TSVCM after a sale, (which both dealership and RAM say can be added later if the wiring is there), but how the hell is it supposed to be added later if the dealer doesn't know how to activate it? They didn't even know about the trailer gateway, as mentioned, when they typed in the part # they claim it came up as a security gateway and they thought they needed to replace mine. Shaking my head in disbelief.

Here's the last part of this saga - even though they couldn't activate it in the software, they decided to unbox the trailer surround camera kit and plug it in to the 12 pin on the bumper. Crazily, when hitting the AUX1 camera button, all of the cameras appeared in the dash, on the left side, perfectly arranged as a surround top down view. So, even though trailer surround camera isn't activated in the software or appearing as a button, the AUX camera button does activate them and they do seem to work, showing surround view around a trailer! (they weren't installed on a trailer yet, but you could tell they were working). I could swear somewhere i read that if Trailer Surround wasn't activated, this wouldn't work.

So now the final BIG quesiton is, should i still bother with trying to get either the dealership to figure this out, or hack in with AlfaOBD myself to get that button labelled Trailer Surround instead of AUX? Or should i be happy with how it's working now and call it a day? Is there some benefit i'm missing out on by not having it truly labelled or acknowledged as Trailer Surround? I've seen people mention you can enter dimensions and settings for trailer size and height, but i don't see where you would do that.

Oh, and to top it all off - the above works with OR WITHOUT the trailer gateway described by @Jimmy07 and @CortexM0 in the other thread, where it seemed this was necessary. The AUX button shows the surround cameras plugged in to the 12 pin with or without that gateway hooked up... so do I even need it? SO CONFUSED.

I'm so frustrated with RAM for this nightmare - (A) heavily advertising and promoting these camera features that they are making impossibe to get, and then when you finally do get them, (B) having dealerships that are completelly clueless about how to make them work.

Appreciate any help and input, thoughts, laughter, etc on the above.
I’ll reply to your AlfaOBD questions in our conversation next. As to the aux 1 soft key bringing up the surround view cameras, that’s actually expected behavior, but you’ll soon find out that’s all it does is just display the images. This is because the camera images from the trailer processor ARE being sent directly to the radio via the analog signal wires, but that’s it. Since the trailer camera processor is not online via canbus (because it’s not connected through the gateway or activated), none of the trailer camera buttons within the surround view overlay will function, and you won’t be able to enter the trailer dimensions and camera height info.

This is what you’re referring to when you know the gateway and processor are not online:
IMG_3450.jpeg
This is what it’s like not configured, using aux 1 (no cameras plugged in):
IMG_3451.jpeg

masterbeat

Reaction score
Hi @Jimmy07 - i knew you'd come to the rescue and answer lightning quick. You're amazing.

Yes, the first picture you have above of the wTech Topology is exactly what my dealer showed me. The TSVCM box at the bottom of the tree was grayed out and they couldn't click on it or do anything. I know you're hopefully about to tell me what to do in AlfaOBD, but shouldn't the DEALER understand how to activate this? In that wTech screen you're showing me, how would a dealer activate TSVCM?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Hi @Jimmy07 - i knew you'd come to the rescue and answer lightning quick. You're amazing.

Yes, the first picture you have above of the wTech Topology is exactly what my dealer showed me. The TSVCM box at the bottom of the tree was grayed out and they couldn't click on it or do anything. I know you're hopefully about to tell me what to do in AlfaOBD, but shouldn't the DEALER understand how to activate this? In that wTech screen you're showing me, how would a dealer activate TSVCM?
The sales code either isn’t actually available to them, or it doesn’t work when they try to restore it to your VIN.
The topography shows all possible modules for the vehicle. Blue means it’s configured on the vehicle and working properly. Gray means it’s not configured to the vehicle. Red means it’s configured to the vehicle, but it’s disconnected or offline.

masterbeat

Reaction score
The sales code either isn’t actually available to them, or it doesn’t work when they try to restore it to your VIN.
The topography shows all possible modules for the vehicle. Blue means it’s configured on the vehicle and working properly. Gray means it’s not configured to the vehicle. Red means it’s configured to the vehicle, but it’s disconnected or offline.
Got it, that makes sense, but then are you actually saying that a RAM dealer can't even use their own software or tools to add this feature to a RAM that didn't come with it, even though RAM advertises it can be added later? You literally HAD to order it from RAM with the cameras for RAM/Dealer to be able to install it? That seems insane.

I was however impressed they were willing to help with AlfaOBD even though we couldn't get that to work. So, i'm still stuck with this $110,000 RAM Limited that I ordered with this feature being a prime reason i upgraded from a 2021, and yet still can't get it to work. GRRRR.

However, i'm sure you're about to hopefully tell me what we're doing wrong in AlfaOBD and save the day. :)

jsalbre

Reaction score
The post-COVID vehicle works is a screwy one to live in. Good luck, friend.

CortexM0

Reaction score
I think both gateways may be the same hardware. It may just be the firmware that's loaded onto them that is the difference. Did you purchase a new or used gateway?

The 360 trailer camera system will display on Aux 1 without any modifications to the truck. However, the truck won't be able to communicate with it without having the trailer gateway module installed and enabling the TSVCM. The two problems with not having communication are: you're unable to configure the camera system, and the on screen buttons to select individual trailer cameras won't work. Without being able to configure the dimensions for your specific camera install, you'll probably end up with some distorted images that don't piece together well.

Last edited:

Vickery

Reaction score
I am on the same quest and have probably flushed 20 hours on this baloney and lack of information.
2023 Ram 3500 dually limited to pull a new Grand Design Momentum.

Hopefully the solution will be shared here.

masterbeat

Reaction score
I think both gateways may be the same hardware. It may just be the firmware that's loaded onto them that is the difference. Did you purchase a new or used gateway?

The 360 trailer camera system will display on Aux 1 without any modifications to the truck. However, the truck won't be able to communicate with it without having the trailer gateway module installed and enabling the TSVCM. The two problems with not having communication are: you're unable to configure the camera system, and the on screen buttons to select individual trailer cameras won't work. Without being able to configure the dimensions for your specific camera install, you'll probably end up with some distorted images that don't piece together well.
Yes agreed, the gateways look identical which was confusing to the dealer and why they were trying to put it behind the instrument cluster and replace whatever gateway was already there, completely crashing the truck. In the end, the dealer could never figure out how to activate the gateway or the TSVCM system even once it was all installed. I had to follow @Jimmy07 's perfect instructions and do it with OBD by myself. @Vickery - if you're looking for the 360 Trailer Surround Camera System and your truck has the wiring for it as described above, the camera system is readily available for order and you can add it after, and activate it by using OBD. I'm happy to report my 360 TSVC system is now mounted on a 30' Living Vehicle trailer and displaying in the UConnect perfectly, thanks to @Jimmy07 's help.

Note that it seems no one can yet get the wired tow mode camera for our digital rearview mirror, but hopefully and theoretically since our trucks are wired for it and have the input at the rear bumper, when/if RAM ever gets it together and actually releases this part again, we should finally be able to add that to our 2023 trucks and have all the cameras working. The 2022 wired tow mode camera won't work on 2023's. :(

Final question I need help with @Jimmy07 or @jsalbre - when we were first testing the 360 camera kit and the activation of it with OBD, it wasn't installed on the trailer yet and we just entered test values into the Uconnect when it was asking for measurements to set it up. They are off a bit, and now i need to enter the right measurements. Do you know how we would reset that system so that it lets us enter the proper measurements - like a new first time setup of the system?

jsalbre

Reaction score
Yes agreed, the gateways look identical which was confusing to the dealer and why they were trying to put it behind the instrument cluster and replace whatever gateway was already there, completely crashing the truck. In the end, the dealer could never figure out how to activate the gateway or the TSVCM system even once it was all installed. I had to follow @Jimmy07 's perfect instructions and do it with OBD by myself. @Vickery - if you're looking for the 360 Trailer Surround Camera System and your truck has the wiring for it as described above, the camera system is readily available for order and you can add it after, and activate it by using OBD. I'm happy to report my 360 TSVC system is now mounted on a 30' Living Vehicle trailer and displaying in the UConnect perfectly, thanks to @Jimmy07 's help.

Note that it seems no one can yet get the wired tow mode camera for our digital rearview mirror, but hopefully and theoretically since our trucks are wired for it and have the input at the rear bumper, when/if RAM ever gets it together and actually releases this part again, we should finally be able to add that to our 2023 trucks and have all the cameras working. The 2022 wired tow mode camera won't work on 2023's. :(

Final question I need help with @Jimmy07 or @jsalbre - when we were first testing the 360 camera kit and the activation of it with OBD, it wasn't installed on the trailer yet and we just entered test values into the Uconnect when it was asking for measurements to set it up. They are off a bit, and now i need to enter the right measurements. Do you know how we would reset that system so that it lets us enter the proper measurements - like a new first time setup of the system?
I believe you should be able to access them from the Connect "Trailer" settings page.

We need some pics of the Living Trailer! Those things are something else.

masterbeat

Reaction score
Hi @jsalbre and @Jimmy07 - ok, are you ready for this head scratcher?

If I go to the TRAILER page in the camera page or through the apps, it tells me that there is not a trailer with Surround attached (even though it IS attached). And then Trailer Surround is grayed out. But, if i go to the VEHICLE page, iit shows me Trailer Surround Camera and clearly pulls it up showing the cameras around the trailer.

Why does it show the trailer surround camera system in one place, but not in another? And, since I can't access Trailer Surround from the trailer settings (it says no trailer with trailer surround is attached), i can't adjust the settings as you mention i should be able to.

I even tried 'adding' a new trailer to see if it would see the attached trailer and camera system and let me add again with measurements, but it won't.

Ideas? Screenshots attached show what I'm seeing in each screen. You can see VEHICLE page shows Trailer Surround, which lets me select that and then see the trailer cameras, but Trailer page doesn't see it... :(.

When i go to trailer surround from the vehicle page, you can see the cameras are around the trailer and it's getting the trailer camera feed.

Also attached is photo of the Living Vehicle. The new Ram 3500 is doing great with it, just want my cameras finally working... what an ORDEAL!

Attachments

• IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    694 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    655.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    663.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0268.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    748.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 47

jsalbre

Reaction score
You're outside of my knowledge here. Maybe Jimmy will have something useful to add.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I’m not sure at the moment either, but I’ll be hooking up to the one I have the trailer surround on tomorrow afternoon, so I’ll check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread