Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 3500 passenger side mirror magnification?

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
Just got my 3500 over the weekend. My first HD. Loving it so far...a little weirded out by the passenger side mirror. Its significantly magnified. I'm trying my best to get used to it - I do a lot of highway driving and it's just too different. I feel like I cant see when I change lanes. Is there an alternative? Its definitely a different shape than the drivers side.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Do you have the towing mirrors? Because my '23 with tow mirrors has a flat main mirror and a small convex mirror, just like all the previous years had.

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
it appears the 23 are the same. mine have heating and power but no lane change triangle. the main (large) passenger mirror is significantly different from the drivers. I need to be like 2 car lengths ahead of where I am to see what I should be seeing. I have to rely on the lower convex to change lanes. but thats still somewhat distorted.

I've read people complaining of this on older models. wondering if there is a new glass I can buy for my year?

wrvond

Reaction score
It's too dark for me to see anything in my mirrors right now, but I don't recall the passenger side being remarkably different than any other passenger side mirror in any other vehicle I've driven in this regard. I find the tow mirrors on my 2023 Laramie to be exceptionally comfortable to use. Much better than I had on my previous truck.

jsalbre

Reaction score
it appears the 23 are the same. mine have heating and power but no lane change triangle. the main (large) passenger mirror is significantly different from the drivers. I need to be like 2 car lengths ahead of where I am to see what I should be seeing. I have to rely on the lower convex to change lanes. but thats still somewhat distorted.

I've read people complaining of this on older models. wondering if there is a new glass I can buy for my year?
The passenger side main mirror is just plain flat glass like the driver’s side. It looks “different” because you’re a lot further away from it, and you’re used to all passenger side mirrors being convex so you have a wider field of view.

phatboy64

Reaction score
Nothing out of the ordinary for me either. Doesn’t look any different then past trucks. Bring it to the dealer and see if you can compare it to one’s on the lot.

Units

Reaction score
My ‘22 had the flip up mirrors that unless flipped up were very awkward to use IMO, unless you like almost hitting other mirrors driving down the road, I never flipped them up unless towing my TT. My ‘23 on the other hand, mirror configuration is great just as @jsalbre mentioned, the new design is just like it should be. I however have not noticed any difference in the driver vs passenger mirror, you may have an issue.

Last edited:

Units

Reaction score
i think you need to practice staying in your lane if you are almost hitting people lol
I did upgrade from a 1/2 ton to the 3/4 ton, which has the shorter mirrors. I swear there were times I felt like I wouldn’t have been able to fit my finger between my mirror and the other truck I just passed. And as a side note; I quit drinking last year so staying in between the lines hasn’t been an issue ;)

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
definitely not farther away - I had a 1500 before this. Same width. if it's the same as driver, then I'm just looking for a "normal" sideview mirror. lol. I have taken 3 100+ mile trips so far and have nearly smacked into someone all three times because I can't see what's behind me on my right side. So, literally tested it on a car in the middle lane when there wasnt much traffic (a VERY rare thing on the LIE!! ;)) and I was like 2 car lengths ahead to see what I would normally see. I'm going to try to take some pictures later today...

fwiw the new insulated glass is very effective! I barely heard any of the people honking at me as I was cutting them off!! o_O

jsalbre

Reaction score
I don’t mean the mirror is further away on the new truck than on your last, I mean that the view is different because the passenger side mirror is further away than the driver’s side, and since they’re both flat it has a different field of view.

“Normal” passenger side mirrors are convex to deal with that, but most vehicles only have one mirror per side.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a vehicle with a split main/blindspot mirror that didn’t have flat glass on the main mirror. Some people here found a company to make a replacement convex main mirror for the “old” (pre-2023) main mirror glass, but it’s taken an extremely long time for them to get made.

Edit: Interesting note, I just learned that flat glass mirrors (referred to as “unit magnification mirrors”) are mandated by law in the US by FMVSS 111 S7.1 on both sides of vehicles over 10k lbs GVWR. So that explains why we have them.

Last edited:

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
I wanted to reply back to this thread. A lot of good info here. I still can't put my finger on why I'm having an issue. I actually drove to a parking lot and found a car to test out what's going on. Indeed my passenger mirror is not magnified, but there is a massive blind spot - bigger than anything else I've ever experienced. I drove a ram 1500 for 3 years and never had an issue at all. I'm a bit perplexed. It's really bad. Dangerously so...

I'm wondering...I have the sensors, but I didn't spring for the safety package. Does anyone know what is involved with upgrading the mirrors to have that orange triangle light up if someone is there? My wife's Durango has it and it is actually quite handy for blind spots... Is it just a matter of changing the glass? Or is it a crazier thing?

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
Ok so a last bump for this. I had some time before my train yesterday and sat in a parking lot to really try to dial this in. Really think I'm going crazy but I'm having a really hard time getting used to this. My confidence in heavy traffic is really bad/dangerous.

These two are from the same spot w the same cars behind me.
When I adjust mirrors I gauge by seeing a bit of the vehicle in the mirror. This is how I would normally set them up - notice the white buggy isn't even in the main mirror on passenger side:
IMG_3738.JPG

Ok, so if I adjust the passenger side to see the buggy, this is what I get:
IMG_3739.JPG
That is kinda useless too. It's too close.

For sanity sake, I took a pic of me standing in front of the mirrors to confirm that neither is magnified. I just dont see how going from a 1500 to a 3500 that is, granted higher, but not wider can be this different.

IMG_3740.JPG

I looked into adding blindspot detection and it isn't feasible. and DIY is WAY above my paygrade. lol.

Units

Reaction score
This is how my mirrors are set up:
Rear view mirror - I can see everything out back of my truck.
Driver and Passenger flat side view mirrors - I keep those adjusted lower and closer in so that I can just see the rear passenger door handles (cause I’m lazy and use my mirrors to change lanes and back up)
Small convex side mirrors - angled down so that I can see my rear tires and where they are on the road (again I’m lazy and use my mirrors to change lanes and back up)

Here is my viewing experience:
After a vehicle moves out of view of my rear view mirror, I will see them in the flat side view mirror, after they move out of view of the flat mirror and are in my blind spot I catch them in the small convex mirror.

As a side note: when I pull my TT I adjust the side view flats up to see further back.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Big mirrors you should see a bit of the back end of the box with the box corner about centre the blind spot mirrors you should see a bit of your back tires at the bottom corners where they meet the pavement

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
Just so I’m not crazy here is a shot of my passenger mirror (white bug) and my wife’s Durango passenger mirror (silver Honda). Distance should be roughly the same as I used parking lot stalls as a guide.

I guess in the end of the day I’m just going to have to get used to it. Just damn strange…

IMG_3745.jpeg

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Likely your wife's Durango mirrors are slightly convex. As per @jsalbre post, the HD trucks (vehicles over 10k gvwr) are required to have flat mirrors, neither your wife's Durango nor your 1/2 ton ram are over 10k.
You'll get used to it, or flip up your tow mirrors you'll see much better in them. I also think you should be able to buy a good size convex mirror with a sticky backing and stick it over your passenger side mirror.

Last edited:

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
Well at least I know what it is (and that I'm not crazy, lol) mine dont flip, they extend. Maybe I'll try a stick-on solution. I tried searching for replacement glass and its a labyrinth of not-2024 style stuff. or exact oem parts

Im going to give it a bit more time and see if I can get used to it first....

Thanks all for the help!!!

Users who are viewing this thread