Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3500 gas vs diesel resale value

joeycamp

Reaction score
Congrats on the order! Man, your fuel prices are nuts! Our diesel is about 60 to 80 cents more than gas
It’s normally around a dollar more. It just shot up like crazy in the last week for some reason. That station is the highest others are 1.50 to 1.75 higher right now.

MtnRider

Reaction score
It’s normally around a dollar more. It just shot up like crazy in the last week for some reason. That station is the highest others are 1.50 to 1.75 higher right now.

During "normal" times Diesel in my area is cheaper then mid grade gas. Right now though it is up about ~.80 cents more then mid grade though.

chas0218

Reaction score
Back on the fence about the diesel. Good reason is the additional $9500 and diesel prices. (In NY). Main reason is if I wanted to trade in or sell in 3 or 4 years what will I be in for if I got the gas 3500? Would it be hard to sell?

Getting a 5th wheel could be between 12000 and 14000 pounds. And will travel the mountainous upstate NY and PA.

Looking to order in next few weeks.
I'll tell you i went gas on my 2500 because I'm daily driving more than I'm going to tow. The added maintenance cost and upfront $9500. I don't think I'll ever get the $9500 back or the added maintenance costs even if i keep it for 10 years. I live outside of Watkins glen area and travel 3 hours to the St. Lawrence pulling my tractor 7k-9klbs and kubota side by side along with heavy loads of firewood. Not all at once but enough to warrant the 2500. I'm also going to trade up before it starts to rust out so figure about 5 years and 50k-60k miles

raven_dt

Reaction score
Back on the fence about the diesel. Good reason is the additional $9500 and diesel prices. (In NY). Main reason is if I wanted to trade in or sell in 3 or 4 years what will I be in for if I got the gas 3500? Would it be hard to sell?

Getting a 5th wheel could be between 12000 and 14000 pounds. And will travel the mountainous upstate NY and PA.

Looking to order in next few weeks.
Why don't you go to KBB.COM configure 2 identical trucks ('my cars value'), one diesel and one gas, say 2020 model year and see what the difference in resale value is between the two is. You might be surprised that there isn't as much difference than you think, certainly not $9500. But I would say that if you are towing that heavy in the mountains, I would go with the Cummins over the 6.4, forget the math.

Last edited:

Thisnthat

Reaction score
Why don't you go to KBB.COM configure 2 identical trucks ('my cars value'), one diesel and one gas, say 2020 model year and see what the difference in resale value is between the two is. You might be surprised that there isn't as much difference than you think, certainly not $9500. But I would say that if you are towing that heavy in the mountains, I would go with the Cummins over the 6.4, forget the math.

2019 Bighorn, 4x4, 3500, short bed SRW, SO cummins, snow chief package, white, St Louis, MO zip, 55k miles, very good condition

1651634492873.png

same build with the only change being the the hemi

1651634437248.png

spread stays the same increasing the mileage...mileage at 95k has the cummins at $46.7k and the hemi at $37.6k

Shadowboxin20

Reaction score
As the truck gets older the gap widens on resale. I usually keep my trucks for 10 years plus and the gas versions are worthless if you can find them at the end. Current 6.0 can get 16k+, if you could find the triton version it would probably be 2-3k

jebruns

Reaction score
2019 Bighorn, 4x4, 3500, short bed SRW, SO cummins, snow chief package, white, St Louis, MO zip, 55k miles, very good condition

View attachment 37099

same build with the only change being the the hemi

View attachment 37098

spread stays the same increasing the mileage...mileage at 95k has the cummins at $46.7k and the hemi at $37.6k

Nicely done, and what I would have expected. Every time I've sold a diesel HD truck, the diesel option kept it's value far better than the rest of the truck. So to me, the option price of the diesel when buying new is a wash. Not saying diesel is for everyone or anything, but you see this argument being used all the time. "You'll never get your money back for that diesel motor", and it's just not true.

Firebird

Reaction score
My diesels always had substantially more resale value than my gas trucks

chas0218

Reaction score
I think that also depends on location. A gas hd in the NE with a good body will sell just as easily as a diesel. Key is to have little to no rust up here and you can get top dollar.

For clarification, you won't get diesel resale price with a gas motor but it will sell quickly on the higher end of the value.

Last edited:

raven_dt

Reaction score
Nicely done, and what I would have expected. Every time I've sold a diesel HD truck, the diesel option kept it's value far better than the rest of the truck. So to me, the option price of the diesel when buying new is a wash. Not saying diesel is for everyone or anything, but you see this argument being used all the time. "You'll never get your money back for that diesel motor", and it's just not true.
Wait, if you paid $9400 more for the diesel and you sold it for $9400 did you *really* make your money back???

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Wait, if you paid $9400 more for the diesel and you sold it for $9400 did you *really* make your money back???
Thats not a fair comparison because you will sell it for 9400$ more than the gasser… I paid 0$ extra for my cummins so i will make more than the gasser come time to sell.

Hell i was talking to the dealer the other day he was saying they dont want the gasser trade ins as the just sit around for far to long they have a 21 gasser in perfect shape its been sitting on the lot for 6 months when the guy traded in for a diesel

raven_dt

Reaction score
Thats not a fair comparison because you will sell it for 9400$ more than the gasser… I paid 0$ extra for my cummins so i will make more than the gasser come time to sell.

Hell i was talking to the dealer the other day he was saying they dont want the gasser trade ins as the just sit around for far to long they have a 21 gasser in perfect shape its been sitting on the lot for 6 months when the guy traded in for a diesel
Thisnthat's post illustrated that you don't make your money back if you buy a diesel thinking that it will be superior to the gasser at resale. That was the whole point. People continue to push this misconception.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Thisnthat's post illustrated that you don't make your money back if you buy a diesel thinking that it will be superior to the gasser at resale. That was the whole point. People continue to push this misconception.

How are you not making back the premium you pay for the diesel if.... you are?

Maybe im reading his post wrong, but it appears the diesel equipped truck is worth almost $10k more on the used market.

raven_dt

Reaction score
How are you not making back the premium you pay for the diesel if.... you are?

Maybe im reading his post wrong, but it appears the diesel equipped truck is worth almost $10k more on the used
$56,167 (diesel)−$47,006(gas)=$9,161 delta
So if the diesel is a $9400 option then you have lost money on your diesel "investment". That doesn't even factor in diesel fuel cost, def, possible emissions costs, fuel additives, fuel filters, 12qt oil changes, etc...
I love diesels but most people buy diesels because that's what they want not because it makes financial sense.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
reading the post right, it's what most have experienced over the past 20 yrs. Diesels hold their value....gassers have made some strides over the years - but those strides seem to have been more of holding their value better than they used to - not better than a diesel.

We tried the Dodge and Ford V10s back in the late 90s - early 2000s for pulling livestock trailers....the dodge v10 dually (standard) was sure fun to drive, but the fuel mileage was atrocious

the KBB pics simply show that the diesel doesn't depreciate more than a hemi...3yrs later, two equivalent trucks with the only difference being the engine - the diesel maintains the $9-10k additional value when used

Here's the kicker.....
An argument could be made that the diesel actually doesn't cost the average "forum buyer" the additional $9500 - the additional cost is closer to $8500....hang with me here...

Theoretical build
$60k - hemi truck sticker
11% off = $6600 discount
buyer pays $53,400

$69.5k diesel truck sticker
11% off = $7,645 discount
buyer pays $61,855

diesel truck cost = $61, 855
hemi truck cost = $53,400
difference $8,455

diesel stickers for $9500 more but you only pay $8500 more than a hemi...not going to go as far as saying a diesel owner is now making money when they sell, just not something that some might consider when comparing gas to diesel...look at what the actual cost difference is between the two vs just saying its $9500 more....of course a higher percentage discount means that the additional cost for the diesel gets close to only $8k more

The fuel and maintenance costs can then be arguing about for all that want to ---diesel costs more but gets better MPG but the fuel filters aren't cheap...did notice our 2021 2500 hemi oil change was only about $10-15 less than our diesel last month---guess i got spoiled by the Honda accord oil change being less than $50.

Essentially the initial additional cost will be recouped....but with that said, not speaking for others on here, but I agree 100% that a lot simply buy a diesel to say they own a diesel

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
reading the post right, it's what most have experienced over the past 20 yrs. Diesels hold their value....gassers have made some strides over the years - but those strides seem to have been more of holding their value better than they used to - not better than a diesel.

We tried the Dodge and Ford V10s back in the late 90s - early 2000s for pulling livestock trailers....the dodge v10 dually (standard) was sure fun to drive, but the fuel mileage was atrocious

the KBB pics simply show that the diesel doesn't depreciate more than a hemi...3yrs later, two equivalent trucks with the only difference being the engine - the diesel maintains the $9-10k additional value when used

Here's the kicker.....
An argument could be made that the diesel actually doesn't cost the average "forum buyer" the additional $9500 - the additional cost is closer to $8500....hang with me here...

Theoretical build
$60k - hemi truck sticker
11% off = $6600 discount
buyer pays $53,400

$69.5k diesel truck sticker
11% off = $7,645 discount
buyer pays $61,855

diesel truck cost = $61, 855
hemi truck cost = $53,400
difference $8,455

diesel stickers for $9500 more but you only pay $8500 more than a hemi...not going to go as far as saying a diesel owner is now making money when they sell, just not something that some might consider when comparing gas to diesel...look at what the actual cost difference is between the two vs just saying its $9500 more....of course a higher percentage discount means that the additional cost for the diesel gets close to only $8k more

The fuel and maintenance costs can then be arguing about for all that want to ---diesel costs more but gets better MPG but the fuel filters aren't cheap...did notice our 2021 2500 hemi oil change was only about $10-15 less than our diesel last month---guess i got spoiled by the Honda accord oil change being less than $50.

Essentially the initial additional cost will be recouped....but with that said, not speaking for others on here, but I agree 100% that a lot simply buy a diesel to say they own a diesel
Diesel maint is not much more considering the diesel is 15,000mile interval and the hemi is 7500mile interval. So the hemi gets serviced 2x in the cummins 1 service interval, it costs my buddy 150$CAD to service his hemi and it costs me 302$CAD to service my Cummins so the 2$ cummins extra cost for maint is more than made up in the extra huge MPG difference between the 2

I Bought a diesel because i need the power the hemi cant provide and engine lifespan. As i keep my trucks so resale is irrelevant i also paid 0$ extra for the cummins option!

jebruns

Reaction score
$56,167 (diesel)−$47,006(gas)=$9,161 delta
So if the diesel is a $9400 option then you have lost money on your diesel "investment". That doesn't even factor in diesel fuel cost, def, possible emissions costs, fuel additives, fuel filters, 12qt oil changes, etc...
I love diesels but most people buy diesels because that's what they want not because it makes financial sense.
You're not figuring this right. You need to consider the percentage delta between the price paid for the truck when new and when it was sold. Just for round numbers, lets say you loose 30% of the original sale price overall on the gasser when you go to sell it or trade it. So you then compare the gasser to diesel, there should only be 70% of the diesel option price difference between 2 equally equipped trucks. I've always found it's more like 90% or more of the diesel's original price. That's why I said I wish the rest of the truck held its value as well as the diesel option does.

raven_dt

Reaction score
You're not figuring this right. You need to consider the percentage delta between the price paid for the truck when new and when it was sold. Just for round numbers, lets say you loose 30% of the original sale price overall on the gasser when you go to sell it or trade it. So you then compare the gasser to diesel, there should only be 70% of the diesel option price difference between 2 equally equipped trucks. I've always found it's more like 90% or more of the diesel's original price. That's why I said I wish the rest of the truck held its value as well as the diesel option does.
I agree with you. I was using a simplified approach to show the resale delta. Using KBB you can actually calculate the percentage of value lost.
I actually change oil at 5k (vs 7.5k OEM) for my 6.4. When I owned a 6.7 I never ran OCI to 15k (OEM recommended). I changed oil and fuel filters (myself) every 10k, cheap insurance imo against fuel injector and fuel pump issues.
For me, Ram doesn't offer a gas alternative to a diesel. The two markets are distinct with Ram, no overlap. If I was towing more than 10k, I would opt for the 6.7 diesel maintenance and reoccurring costs.

Basser53

Reaction score
Take 2 5 year old trucks ,both with 100k miles.. one has a hemi ,one has a cummins, all else equal.. which one would you buy?
I know there are many factors but I think the Cummins has a better reputation for pulling more and running longer..

raven_dt

Reaction score
Take 2 5 year old trucks ,both with 100k miles.. one has a hemi ,one has a cummins, all else equal.. which one would you buy?
I know there are many factors but I think the Cummins has a better reputation for pulling more and running longer..
I'm not buying any used truck averaging 40k miles a year.

Users who are viewing this thread