Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th wheel weight

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Payload is a meaningless number for most 3/4 ton owners. Every state I’ve researched doesn’t care about GVWR, which is how payload is derived.

What actually matters are tire and axle ratings.

Thanks to the internet people are now treating GVWR as something important, even thou there isn’t anything backing that. I believe this is having a direct impact on Ram 2500 sales since both Furd and GM have 3/4 tones with higher than 10K GVWRs.

Some people need a 10K GVWR truck for commercial reasons. Ram needs to make it an option, not the standard. They also would benefit from a 10K GVWR 3500.

Technically you can get a SRW 3500 CC that's rated at 10K, but not a pickup.

Gman1988

Reaction score
I was just in a class c rv which has a gen built in to run all outlets and such how do these work for outlets. Bring your own gen? Also do the new models have auto level?
They come standard with solar and an inverter but you would need a genset if boondocking long term. Yes, they have autolevel and load / unload setpoint. You can do it vis the control panel or an app on your phone. They are very tech heavy and have all the bells and whistles.

Gman1988

Reaction score
Considering most 2500 diesel's have a payload around 2000 lbs, and 20% of 10,000 lbs is 2000 lbs, plus a 200 lb hitch, passengers, gear.....

what's your point? That's still way over payload.
I think his point is once he weighs on a scale it will likely be closer to 10k. 20% isn't a rule either. My 5er is designed for a lighter pin weight. It's built into the actual product line and doesn't require a 20% load like many on here suggest. Closer to 15% as many so called 1/2 ton towables are designed. To many variables out there to just state something as a standard.

Sorry. Just my 2c

jsalbre

Reaction score
They come standard with solar and an inverter but you would need a genset if boondocking long term. Yes, they have autolevel and load / unload setpoint. You can do it vis the control panel or an app on your phone. They are very tech heavy and have all the bells and whistles.
Generators aren’t always required for extensive boondocking. A lot of LiFePO4 batteries and solar panels can get you a long way. We don’t even own a generator, and we run everything as if we were plugged in.

unclelala

Reaction score
Generators aren’t always required for extensive boondocking. A lot of LiFePO4 batteries and solar panels can get you a long way. We don’t even own a generator, and we run everything as if we were plugged in.
You must have a pretty good setup, I have one 200ah lithium and 400 watt panels and lucky to see 2 to 3 days running my 12 volt fridge never mind everything else and if its cloudy I have to get out the generator.

jsalbre

Reaction score
You must have a pretty good setup, I have one 200ah lithium and 400 watt panels and lucky to see 2 to 3 days running my 12 volt fridge never mind everything else and if its cloudy I have to get out the generator.
On my current trailer I have 412Ah and 800W on the roof. I’m going to push the battery bank up to 618Ah and probably go up to 1200W of solar. My fridge is a dual 120V/propane model, and switching to propane mode makes a big difference for boondocking.

I just finished installing a system for a customer’s Airstream where we did 840Ah of battery and 1000W of panels.

mggray87

Reaction score
On my current trailer I have 412Ah and 800W on the roof. I’m going to push the battery bank up to 618Ah and probably go up to 1200W of solar. My fridge is a dual 120V/propane model, and switching to propane mode makes a big difference for boondocking.

I just finished installing a system for a customer’s Airstream where we did 840Ah of battery and 1000W of panels.
are these panels u set up when u get to the location or installed on the roof? any photos? a honda eu3000is would be plenty.. can retro with propane... but how many batteries.. 4 batteries might weigh the same... Im just thinking maybe not.

unclelala

Reaction score
a honda eu3000is would be plenty..
A Honda eu3000is is about 131 lbs. . Too much to be lugging around for me, I have the Honda 2200 and thats around 50 lbs. which is about my limit these days, mind u I only have one AC and have a soft start on it so it works fine.

jsalbre

Reaction score
are these panels u set up when u get to the location or installed on the roof? any photos? a honda eu3000is would be plenty.. can retro with propane... but how many batteries.. 4 batteries might weigh the same... Im just thinking maybe not.
All the panels are roof mounted.
1704635553140.jpeg

A Honda 3000w generator is a bit overkill unless you’re planning to run multiple AC units at once.

My current set of 2 206Ah batteries weigh 48# each, so I’m at just under 100# of battery right now.

I avoid generators because I don’t want to listen to them. Nothing is more annoying than finding a beautiful spot in the middle of the woods and then some yahoo parks nearby and runs a generator all day and night.

MarkCO1

Reaction score
I have a 19' ram 2500 longhorn 6.7 diesel. Crew cab standard bed. Unfortunately not the long bed. I haven't shopped for what I like yet but before I start browsing. I'm wondering what weight should I look at as absolute max. I don't have kids. For weight purposes. I looked at my truck. The specs are as follows GVWR: 10,000, GAWR REAR: 6040.

I had the 5th wheel prep put in the bed. I know I need the b&w companion slider since my bed isn't full size. My truck has the rear air bags that came with the longhorn. It's leveled on 35" tires. If this matters

Payload is certainly a consideration. Tires and suspension (shocks and springs) are a big part of the payload limitations. Diesel, Power Wagons have the payload about equal to a standard 1/2 ton due to the weight of the powertrain and softer springs, respectively. Most diesel 3/4 tons are going to be pushing that payload with a standard 5er, but there are some nice 1/2 ton towables that give the advantages of the 5th wheel with a lesser weight. But you likely can get a larger travel trailer than a 5er, which based on your conditions of use, might be a better plan. You typically lose storage, auto-level, compartments for propane and batteries, but they do tow nicely with the 2500s up to about 10K.

The KZ Durango Half-Ton models are well built and should be in your ranges. https://www.kz-rv.com/products/durango-half-ton-fifth-wheels/floorplans.html

I used airbags on the 1/2 ton Longhorn, and they were okay, but after a few years, slow leaks, I opted to change out the bump stops to a polymer progressive. When folks are near the limits, it is a good option to keep the truck level, mitigate porpoising and wag. https://timbren.com/collections/timbren-ses

We've spent 110 days so far in our 28 month old Cruiser Aire. The 1/2 ton towed it fine, and it has been really good for us. That said, one of the reasons for the 2500 gasser was to be able to move to a 5th wheel under 35 feet long in the future. You have enough truck for a good number of RVs, you will just have to go to some lots and RV shows to see which ones appeal to you. Or, do a RV rental on one you like for a weekend and live in it. Before we bought our Cruiser, we went and visited it 3 times. We even took a sack lunch and the pups (salesman was great, service dept sucked) and spent about 4 hours in it one evening.

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
Payload is certainly a consideration. Tires and suspension (shocks and springs) are a big part of the payload limitations. Diesel, Power Wagons have the payload about equal to a standard 1/2 ton due to the weight of the powertrain and softer springs, respectively. Most diesel 3/4 tons are going to be pushing that payload with a standard 5er, but there are some nice 1/2 ton towables that give the advantages of the 5th wheel with a lesser weight. But you likely can get a larger travel trailer than a 5er, which based on your conditions of use, might be a better plan. You typically lose storage, auto-level, compartments for propane and batteries, but they do tow nicely with the 2500s up to about 10K.

The KZ Durango Half-Ton models are well built and should be in your ranges. https://www.kz-rv.com/products/durango-half-ton-fifth-wheels/floorplans.html

I used airbags on the 1/2 ton Longhorn, and they were okay, but after a few years, slow leaks, I opted to change out the bump stops to a polymer progressive. When folks are near the limits, it is a good option to keep the truck level, mitigate porpoising and wag. https://timbren.com/collections/timbren-ses

We've spent 110 days so far in our 28 month old Cruiser Aire. The 1/2 ton towed it fine, and it has been really good for us. That said, one of the reasons for the 2500 gasser was to be able to move to a 5th wheel under 35 feet long in the future. You have enough truck for a good number of RVs, you will just have to go to some lots and RV shows to see which ones appeal to you. Or, do a RV rental on one you like for a weekend and live in it. Before we bought our Cruiser, we went and visited it 3 times. We even took a sack lunch and the pups (salesman was great, service dept sucked) and spent about 4 hours in it one evening.
Correct on the nice lighter 5ers out there. I really like our 2023 GD 270BN. Loaded down as much as I could in both the trailer and truck I came in under the vaunted 10K GVWR at 9960lbs. So, not by much, but still below! (and 1220lbs below rear axle rating)

Users who are viewing this thread