Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

90 degree turn over aggressive speed bump

kristof

Reaction score
So I take a route where there is a stop sign. I have to turn right there. And right there on the right side there is a aggressive speed bump. I mean it seems like it's made out of those parking spot concrete wheel stops. So I try to go over it as slow as possible while making a full 90 degree turn. And no matter how slow I go over it there is always a loud grinding sound coming from the drivers side wheel. It sounds like two casting parts or two rocks rubbing against each other. What it might be?

Dave01

Reaction score
So your right front tire hits the bump first, but the grinding sound is from the left front? And no lift or level on the truck?

Wheel bearing comes to mind first.

kristof

Reaction score
So your right front tire hits the bump first, but the grinding sound is from the left front? And no lift or level on the truck?

Wheel bearing comes to mind first.
No lift or level. Yes the right tire hits first and no sound at all. Left tire go over and you can hear that sound.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Whee bearing would be my guess aswell

kristof

Reaction score
Holy smokes already? I never hit anything or drove like crazy with it. The truck has 60,000 miles on it

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Holy smokes already? I never hit anything or drove like crazy with it. The truck has 60,000 miles on it
Both my front bearings are gone with 60k km on them but i also have a heavy plow up front along with the cummins (both getting changed under warranty) …. With you having the hemi it could be a fluke for the bearing or not even the bearing at all you will have to check it out

kristof

Reaction score
Both my front bearings are gone with 60k km on them but i also have a heavy plow up front along with the cummins (both getting changed under warranty) …. With you having the hemi it could be a fluke for the bearing or not even the bearing at all you will have to check it out
I'm gonna check it out because this will be the only indication of the bearing fail. And I'm planning to put a level kit soon on the truck.

flan

Reaction score
Could be the cab mount shifting.

ClawSS

Reaction score
Maybe you can recreate the scenario in a more controlled environment. Get another driver to take the wheel and you try to isolate the noise from the outside. I doubt you are hitting that berm with much speed so an external review should be capable. Maybe even a video?

kristof

Reaction score
You know what I never tried to do it with my window open. I would see if I can hear the noise better then.

kristof

Reaction score
Now I definitely have to check it out. This morning I was making right turn onto a parking lot. There is a small ditch separating it from the street. Once I hit that ditch (slow speed while making right turn) I heard clunk sound again. Now I think it might be a tie rod that failed. What's funny is my truck just hit 61K miles. So I'm out of warranty :mad:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Now I definitely have to check it out. This morning I was making right turn onto a parking lot. There is a small ditch separating it from the street. Once I hit that ditch (slow speed while making right turn) I heard clunk sound again. Now I think it might be a tie rod that failed. What's funny is my truck just hit 61K miles. So I'm out of warranty :mad:
More likely a cab mount

kristof

Reaction score
It sounded like it was coming from the wheel area. Where and how to check the cab mount?

Sam 15

Reaction score
Regarding the cab mount, I had a ford that the bed mount would clunk every time I turned up a driveway. It was still under warranty. Dealer was unable to fix it. I hade to lemon law it.

kristof

Reaction score
Regarding the cab mount, I had a ford that the bed mount would clunk every time I turned up a driveway. It was still under warranty. Dealer was unable to fix it. I hade to lemon law it.
Mine is 61K miles so I'm on my own right now

Users who are viewing this thread