Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC Fix TSB (Pre 8/20 build trucks)

Reaction score
Iv been trying to find the evap sensor specs for a while now. When i uad it on my workbench it was around 20-23 degrees celcius. My fluke meter mesured 3200ohm approx. I did a ice bath test and it was approx 8000ohm. My truck is a 19. I uploaded a youtube video showing some resistance values. Title is, 2019 Ram A/C sensor hack for colder A/C.
I will probably purchase a new sensor, maybe mines out of spec. But for now its working great. Thx.
@progatschnigg
I also have the 19 Limited and even with the TSB done the AC leaves much to be desired.
Your "custom sensor" sounds like an easy fix, do you need a scanner or any reprogramming to make it work?

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I think I'm not going to bother with a TSB, I tried last fall and as I expected they said "it's fine, no problems".
Would rather do this mod by myself instead of letting some grease monkey wrench on my truck.

progatschnigg

Reaction score
@progatschnigg
I also have the 19 Limited and even with the TSB done the AC leaves much to be desired.
Your "custom sensor" sounds like an easy fix, do you need a scanner or any reprogramming to make it work?
No scanner or programming. Its looking like mine, and now a few others are much better with adding resisters in parallel with the evap temp sensor.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I think I'm not going to bother with a TSB, I tried last fall and as I expected they said "it's fine, no problems".
Would rather do this mod by myself instead of letting some grease monkey wrench on my truck.

That's just a lazy dealer who doesn't want to do the work at the warranty rate.
The repair conditions are clearly stated on the TSB and it has nothing to with them.
If you describe the condition, they are supposed to fix it... full stop.

1689082728870.png

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hello,

If at any point you decide to go the dealership route to have this addressed and would like an extra layer of support, please feel free to reach out via private message. We would love the opportunity to assist.

Lex
Ram Cares

progatschnigg

Reaction score
UPDATE;
another member has installed and tested my resister mod. Railfan413
His AC is colder than ever on a 21.So thats makes 2 of us now. All it takes is a resister of 28.5, or 29K ohms. With a couple hours of removing the glove box and finding which resister works to get the vent temp down to 40-43F.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Wonder if it would work on a '22? Mine is slow to cool down. Once it's cool inside, it does ok.

Railfan413

Reaction score
Yes! I've had very good success with this modification on my 2021 Ram 3500. I found my A/C to be okay, but definitely the least impressive I've ever experienced. At 28.5k ohm resistance my A/C has been consistently sitting at 40 degrees. I'm still in testing faze to be sure my evaporator doesn't freeze up at 40 degrees. In Pennsylvania the weather has been constantly 85-90 degrees with high humidity. Perfect testing conditions for this sort of thing.

thecastle

Reaction score
Hello,

If at any point you decide to go the dealership route to have this addressed and would like an extra layer of support, please feel free to reach out via private message. We would love the opportunity to assist.

Lex
Ram Cares
that wold be nice, my dealer flat out refused to do the SIB for the A/C. I ended up adding a valve to the heater core to stop coolant flow in the summer.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
UPDATE;
another member has installed and tested my resister mod. Railfan413
His AC is colder than ever on a 21.So thats makes 2 of us now. All it takes is a resister of 28.5, or 29K ohms. With a couple hours of removing the glove box and finding which resister works to get the vent temp down to 40-43F.
Do all HD Ram trucks have this sensor or just the trucks that have automatic temperature controls? I have a Bighorn with the manual ac system.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
that wold be nice, my dealer flat out refused to do the SIB for the A/C. I ended up adding a valve to the heater core to stop coolant flow in the summer.
Hi there,

We're sorry to hear that. Please send us a private message with some additional details, so we can see how we can further assist you.

Lex
Ram Cares

dieselscout80

Reaction score
It looks like SENSOR, EVAPORATOR FIN PROBE part number: 68396 045AA is the one the resistor is added to.

My 2020 Bighorn 6.4 has that sensor even with the manual HVAC..

Last edited:

Trakpak

Reaction score
I didnt measure it. But the amp draw is very low. Its just a small sensor altering its millivolt signal.
So if I was going to order a resistor to do this what size should I order? Would a 22k be ok? I don’t see any 24.4k. I’d rather not try to get the right assortment of resistors. I don’t know a lot about resistor math lol.

Users who are viewing this thread