Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic High Beams Limited Longhorn

SierraHog

Reaction score
For those of you who have ordered and received your 2022 2500/3500 Limited Longhorn, do any of your trucks have the automatic high beams? I had them in my 2017 Laramie, but can’t seem to find them in my 2022 Limited Longhorn. Is this option even available with these new bi-function LED headlights? I did not order the safety group but have the towing technology, digital rear view mirror package and Longhorn level 1 group. Thanks for the help!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
They're in my 2020 Limited (same projector directional headlights) but it has all the options.

Looks like on the Longhorn, you have to have the safety group.

If you don't have adaptive cruise/FCW (the giant mirror housing) then you don't have the camera that the auto highbeams needs.

Last edited:

SierraHog

Reaction score
They're in my 2020 Limited (same projector directional headlights) but it has all the options.

Looks like on the Longhorn, you have to have the safety group.

If you don't have adaptive cruise/FCW (the giant mirror housing) then you don't have the camera that the auto highbeams needs.
I figured it probably needed the safety group, which was the one group I didn’t order. Thanks for the help!

CharlieL

Reaction score
Interesting. The Ram build website, shows as "standard features" on the 3500 Limited to include:
  • Automatic Headlamps
  • Automatic High-Beam Headlamp-Control
  • Bi-Function LED Projector Headlamp
Have this on my 2500 Laramie; works just like on the 2013 Laramie 1500 I had. Turn the lights switch all the way clockwise to "auto." "Enable" and "Disable" auto high beams with the wiper stalk, forward and backward. If the lights switch is in "on" position, the auto high beam is off, and high beams are manually controlled.

SierraHog

Reaction score
Crazy they don’t include it standard with the Longhorn. You’d think an 86k truck would have some of the basic features as my old 2017 Laramie. Mine started acting up before trading in the Laramie for my 2022 so maybe it’s a sign

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. The Ram build website, shows as "standard features" on the 3500 Limited to include:
  • Automatic Headlamps
  • Automatic High-Beam Headlamp-Control
  • Bi-Function LED Projector Headlamp
Have this on my 2500 Laramie; works just like on the 2013 Laramie 1500 I had. Turn the lights switch all the way clockwise to "auto." "Enable" and "Disable" auto high beams with the wiper stalk, forward and backward. If the lights switch is in "on" position, the auto high beam is off, and high beams are manually controlled.

I stand corrected.

It looks like the Limited Longhorn does have Auto highbeams standard. It must use the light sensor in the overhead that's used for the auto headlamps.

EXTERIOR​

2022 RAM 3500 LIMITED LONGHORN™ CREW CAB 4X2 6'4" BOX​

Automatic High-Beam Headlamp-Control​

Automatic High-Beam Headlamps detect ambient lighting conditions, including the presence of oncoming headlamps or vehicle taillamps in front of your vehicle, and automatically switches your headlamps from high- to low-beam and back again. This system helps provide maximum light for night driving and switches to low beam when the vehicle is traveling at or below a certain speed.

SierraHog

Reaction score
So weird! I don’t have the option to disable/enable them under settings/lights on the 12” screen. When I activate my high beams, they are just on. My Laramie would display a message on the dash screen indicating the auto high beams were activated. I guess I’ll need to dig a little deeper. Thanks for the info.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
All I had to do on mine (Longhorn Level 1 with all the options) was turn the light control switch (knob) to the auto setting. From there, flip the multifunction lever to the high beam setting and got a message on the dash that said “automatic high beams enabled”. They’ve been working perfectly and are very responsive. I did not have to go into UC5 to enable, they were already set and ready to go when I took the truck home but I don’t know if that’s factory or if someone at the dealership did that. The “auto” setting in the light switch also controls the automatic rain sensing wipers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SierraHog

Reaction score
Followed everyone’s advice and still no auto high beams. I used them for over 4 years on my Laramie and was able to disable them from time to time in the lights menu on the old Uconnect system. For whatever reason, the enable/disable feature is nonexistent in UC5 and the message center in the dash does not advise the auto high beams are enabled when I activate the high beams. My headlight switch is in Auto. Would anyone be able to provide a screen shot of the UC5 where I would find the enable button? Also, if you do have this feature, is your 2022 equipped with the safety group? I have all the other bells and whistles but not safety group that includes the adaptive cruise, lane assist, collision warning and adaptive steering. Thanks everyone for the continued advice.

DougB

Reaction score
Auto beam control is in the Safety Group on my Laramie.

Glanced over you have a Longhorn so not sure where it is included there.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Followed everyone’s advice and still no auto high beams. I used them for over 4 years on my Laramie and was able to disable them from time to time in the lights menu on the old Uconnect system. For whatever reason, the enable/disable feature is nonexistent in UC5 and the message center in the dash does not advise the auto high beams are enabled when I activate the high beams. My headlight switch is in Auto. Would anyone be able to provide a screen shot of the UC5 where I would find the enable button? Also, if you do have this feature, is your 2022 equipped with the safety group? I have all the other bells and whistles but not safety group that includes the adaptive cruise, lane assist, collision warning and adaptive steering. Thanks everyone for the continued advice.

I don’t see your truck on the order tracking sheet. Can you either:

1) check your trucks equipment listing to see if the auto high beams are listed or

2) provide us with a VIN so we can check the equipment.

This may better help us understand what’s going on here. If your truck has automatic high beams they will be listed in the official build sheet.

Dasmoetorhead

Reaction score
On my 21 laramie you must 1st have the high beam switch (turn signal arm) in the high Beam position. If not the auto dimmer will not work. It also must be enabled in the settings or app screen.
Wirh the turn signal arm pushed fwd for high beams, I find it difficult to use the turn signals.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Per the 22 ram commercial specifications guide, the auto high beams are supposed to be standard on limited and limited longhorn and available as part of a package on lower trims. The language seems to contradict itself in saying it is “included in safety group” so I’m not sure what to make of this. The way I read it, if you have a limited or longhorn the truck should have the auto high beams regardless of the packages.

DougB

Reaction score
Per the 22 ram commercial specifications guide, the auto high beams are supposed to be standard on limited and limited longhorn and available as part of a package on lower trims. The language seems to contradict itself in saying it is “included in safety group” so I’m not sure what to make of this. The way I read it, if you have a limited or longhorn the truck should have the auto high beams regardless of the packages.

The 2021 catalog states the same thing. Hmmm... Maybe that got changed for 2022 or with the chip shortage they altered the standard features.

1640023039129.png

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
The 2021 catalog states the same thing. Hmmm... Maybe that got changed for 2022 or with the chip shortage they altered the standard features.

View attachment 28354

Yeah something doesn’t seem right there….

I wonder if this is the case with other longhorns delivered in 22? I would be interested to see if there are others this way.

Saying it is “standard” on a longhorn and then saying it is “included in a group” is contradictory

DougB

Reaction score
Yeah something doesn’t seem right there….

I wonder if this is the case with other longhorns delivered in 22? I would be interested to see if there are others this way.

Saying it is “standard” on a longhorn and then saying it is “included in a group” is contradictory

I looked at some others in the tracking sheet and they all have Safety Group so they have auto headlights but it's an option on the window sticker. Oddly, those equipment listings show auto high beam under standard equipment. @SierraHog does not have Safety Group per his window sticker.

And I agree, completely contradictory. UNLESS Safety Group is automatically added but you can de-select it?? Still odd.

Users who are viewing this thread