Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Autopark

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
Anyone have this issue...Yesterday when I got home, stooped at the end of the driveway, put the truck in park, got out to get the mail (Truck left running) and returned to truck. Put truck in gear, hit the gas and the trans locked and would not move. tried a few more times, turned truck off and on a couple times and the truck would not move. finally noticed in the cluster that autopark was engaged. Tried a few more times and finally it went into gear and let me continue down the drive.

ansells09

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. Twisted knob into drive and wouldn’t go. Turned it back to park let my foot off brake and tried again and it got into gear. Not sure what that was about

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
Door shut ?

My door was shut, but was ajar...I read online that this is most likely the cause. Kinda sad because I back up to my trailer with the door open all the time in my old F250. Maybe with the backup cam I will not have to hop in and out 2 or 3 times to get the ball under the receiver?

Thanks for the responses!

John Jensen

Reaction score
Bet your seat belt was not hooked. That and open door triggers the Autopark. To defeat the Autopark you can buckle the belt and sit on it, get a dummy belt clip and buckle it up or get a free belt extender from your dealer.

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
Trailer hooking with the door ajar was my learning experience with the auto park. Super annoying. Bumper isn't bad because of backup camera but my gooseneck is a pain because just wanting to move a little bit but not shut the door is a must.

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
Bet your seat belt was not hooked. That and open door triggers the Autopark. To defeat the Autopark you can buckle the belt and sit on it, get a dummy belt clip and buckle it up or get a free belt extender from your dealer.

Thanks, no bet on the seatbelt!! It was unbuckled.

Frank

Reaction score
My door was shut, but was ajar...I read online that this is most likely the cause. Kinda sad because I back up to my trailer with the door open all the time in my old F250. Maybe with the backup cam I will not have to hop in and out 2 or 3 times to get the ball under the receiver?

Thanks for the responses!
It's a safety feature so you don't accidentally leave it in gear, go check your trailer, and run yourself over. And yes, it does happen. The day after my first day of fishing last Spring someone was launching solo and was ran over while the truck and trailer went to the bottom of the lake. For at least a couple days it was investigated vehicle theft gone wrong.

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
It's a safety feature so you don't accidentally leave it in gear, go check your trailer, and run yourself over. And yes, it does happen. The day after my first day of fishing last Spring someone was launching solo and was ran over while the truck and trailer went to the bottom of the lake. For at least a couple days it was investigated vehicle theft gone wrong.

Did you run to save the truck and boat or to help him first??? LOL

I have done my share of stupid things in trucks...On time I locked my keys in it while loading my boat with the tide coming in!

Frank

Reaction score
Did you run to save the truck and boat or to help him first??? LOL

I have done my share of stupid things in trucks...On time I locked my keys in it while loading my boat with the tide coming in!

He was by himself and died.

WXman

Reaction score
It's the worst and most maddening safety feature ever installed on a truck, and it is buried so deep in the code that even tuners can't turn it off. What I do is use a seat belt extender. That defeats the feature 100%. This is the one I use:

Just leave one of those popped into the driver side. You can still use your seat belt normally, but if you don't have the belt on the truck will not lock the transmission and scare the crap out of you just because the door isnt' fully closed.

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
So easy to forget about.

Backing the goose in last week in the dark, I wanted to open the door and check my spacing. Geez. About through me out the door it was so jarring.

I understand the feature. It's a catch 22. I just hate backing or hooking and dealing with a seat belt. I'll be buying an extender.

Users who are viewing this thread