Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Column shifter boot wear

How many people would be interested in a better quality aftermarket column shift boot

• Total voters

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Does that piece of Kilmat help much with the noise?
Each piece probably doesn’t do much individually but the whole roof and back wall together (which is all the sheet metal left on the rig) makes a big difference. It has solid motor mount and solid trans mount and full exo so it’s quite the rattly boi and the sound deadened keeps it from being buzzy inside

jsalbre

Reaction score
Each piece probably doesn’t do much individually but the whole roof and back wall together (which is all the sheet metal left on the rig) makes a big difference. It has solid motor mount and solid trans mount and full exo so it’s quite the rattly boi and the sound deadened keeps it from being buzzy inside

Hah, I was joking. I assumed it was from before the truck got hacked up.

I wouldn’t have thought about using it to damp rattles in its current state, but it makes sense now that I think about it.

TX Boogie

Reaction score
My truck has 7,000 mi and has been great. Tows phenomenal and does everything I need it to. There's only one thing I have noticed, a small thing, and is more annoying than anything.

The shifter boot on the column always folds up in a way that it shouldn't and has started to wear a hole in it already, making little small beads of rubber as it wears. I had it replaced at the dealer under warranty (I really didn't like a dealer tech messing with the shifter) as they wouldn't give me the part and let me do it myself being under warranty. The new one folds up when shifted the same way (not how it should) and I think it's only matter of time before it's worn again.

Anyways, has anyone else had their shifter boot on the column wear prematurely? This is a 68rfe truck, although I'm not sure if that matters.
Have you replaced it a second time yet? Wondering if 2021+ year trucks are easy to replace, mine is out of 36K warranty

deanfx

Reaction score
Has anyone confirmed that part #68480815AA will fit as a replacement?

roegs

Reaction score
Has anyone confirmed that part #68480815AA will fit as a replacement?

I'm hoping to hear the same. Dealer sez 68480815AA won't work and if he orders it for me, it's mine forever.

deanfx

Reaction score
I'm hoping to hear the same. Dealer sez 68480815AA won't work and if he orders it for me, it's mine forever.
This is the one I ordered and it fits my '23 fine. It still has all the wrinkles of the original too lol

68480815AA​

I ordered it from Amazon.

roegs

Reaction score
This is the one I ordered and it fits my '23 fine. It still has all the wrinkles of the original too lol

68480815AA​

I ordered it from Amazon.
Just the info I was looking for! Thanks much. I could not find one on Amazon but did find it on eBay. It's on its way!

deanfx

Reaction score
Was it easy to install?
When you remove the boot, there is a 10mm bolt that you have to back out and remove the shifter. You need a 1/4" ratchet and socket. Super simple if you're mechanical. It is aluminum so, be gentle.

deanfx

Reaction score
Just the info I was looking for! Thanks much. I could not find one on Amazon but did find it on eBay. It's on its way!
I saw the one I ordered on amazon was out of stock. Just don't understand why they can't make one that fits like the true 4th gens.

Ostracize

Reaction score
To be honest I'd just modify your existing. Mine has been perfect since doing it back when I previously posted. The oem material eats itself through friction and will keep doing so. It's quite easy to do and is basically a permanent solution.

Users who are viewing this thread