Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compatible aftermarket TPMS sensors?

kobra

Reaction score
Hi all,

(I've searched the forum, and found a mix of information on TPMS; disabling, reprogramming, trailers, etc, so starting this thread to get more specific)

Background: I'm getting new wheels and tires for my 2020 3500 ltd and want to keep the OEM wheels and tires for when I might trade it back in. I like that the 3500 TPMS system provides the TP information, so I am thinking of getting new TPMS sensors installed on the new wheels. I cannot source the rims and tires I want locally, but I'm concerned to just believe the online retailer who says "it should work". I also would prefer to have the seller install a compatible TPMS as they will mount and balance free and I don't want to fuss with installing TPMS and rebalancing after I get them here. And, in case this matters, I have no interest right now in reprogramming with a tool like AlphaODB, so hoping to hear back on what pairs up and works well with the stock systems.

Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with using aftermarket TPMS? Some say use only genuine Mopar only, some say other models can work, so hoping to hear from those who have had success with aftermarket and how they determined that a particular model is compatible.

Thanks!

B

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but am pretty sure I've read just about every post on this forum.

It was mentioned here that these aftermarket sensors worked, however it was not mentioned whether that was with the 2500 TPMS system or with the 3500 TPIS system (or if that even matters in regard to the sensors). https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/swapping-tpms-sensors.3224/post-45947

But as you have surely read, there are a lot more posts about many different aftermarket sensors NOT working, including from retailers also claiming the same "should work" sentiments.

kobra

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but am pretty sure I've read just about every post on this forum.

It was mentioned here that these aftermarket sensors worked, however it was not mentioned whether that was with the 2500 TPMS system or with the 3500 TPIS system (or if that even matters in regard to the sensors). https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/swapping-tpms-sensors.3224/post-45947

But as you have surely read, there are a lot more posts about many different aftermarket sensors NOT working, including from retailers also claiming the same "should work" sentiments.

Thanks, and you raise a point I never considered; really the 3500 system is TPIS not TPMS...
Thanks for the link, doesn't seem to be available on amazon.ca so I need to keep looking.

I'm hoping others chime in with what they have found and that I can source in Canada.

Thanks again,
B

Jackmup

Reaction score
When it comes to TPMS sensors. They work based on a signal in this case 433mhz. Each sensor has battery is assigned a number and the monitoring system is told by the tech which number is in what position. So if you rotate without reprogramming the system might say left front is low even though it the right rear cause it has no idea you rotated them. So with rotating, bad batteries and sad tire service centers I bought an autel kit with the programer and it comes with 433mhz sensors which happen to be popular our cars have them also. It clones the old sensor number, reprograms the positions and I think it will assigned new numbers. So if you are changing your own, have a bad tire shop who's hand you have to hold or rotating your own it works great for me cause it works for so many different manufacturers. Also find a tire shop that doesn't use bead sealer. That bead sealer gets all over the sensors. I never ever use it. it's also worth calling the dealer and see if they do tires then you get all oem with new batteries. If your diy go with the autel kit. If your not go to the dealer have them all oem new and programed correctly. Or look for a good tire guy which is getting hard to find as the chains are buying them out left and right.

Jackmup

Reaction score
Thanks, and you raise a point I never considered; really the 3500 system is TPIS not TPMS...
Thanks for the link, doesn't seem to be available on amazon.ca so I need to keep looking.

I'm hoping others chime in with what they have found and that I can source in Canada.

Thanks again,
B
Tire pressure monitor system TPMS. Tire pressure inflation system TPIS.( Big trucks). Tire pressure information system is a TPMS that doesn't piss and moan and the acronym is TPIS is already taken so they shouldn't use it. The warning is handled by the computer not the sensor. The sensor only relays it's I'd number and psi. So indeed your looking for a TPMS sensor because the planet doesn't call them TPIS sensors. Big truck TPIS just keep dumping air into leaking tires they don't monitor the situation so there are no sensors for them.

jadmt

Reaction score
I just bought 4 oem for my second set of wheels for my 2020 Power Wagon and the new number is 68378369AE and they are actually 434mhz. $38.45 a piece at the dealership.

jadmt

Reaction score
OEM sensors on EBay for $62 (all 4). Just got mine and work just fine.
I have been burned by those in the past. Ended up being counterfeit as was confirmed by Schrader. Scharader said unfortunately there are many of their sensors being counterfeited. Was not worth the gamble to me this time around.

jadmt

Reaction score
I took the chance and so far so good!
I have 50/50 luck on those. first set was good second not. My buddy is 0 for 2. seller would not make good. A couple months ago I asked the seller for a close up photo of the sensor and he told me he did not have the ability to take a close up photo. I figured I would spend a bit more and just go with oem from my dealer. I know many have had luck with the ebay/amazon ones so just hit or miss.

smokedbystang

Reaction score
These are the ones I got. They have the oem part number on them but I dont know if they are counterfeit or not. Hopefully they last awhile. We'll see.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201217-134324.png
    Screenshot_20201217-134324.png
    859.4 KB · Views: 43

Jackmup

Reaction score
434? I'm looking for rims now and everything I read said 433 but in any event the monitor will program these sensors to 433 or 434. Thanks for the heads up though cause once I clone it there's no second chance.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
When it comes to TPMS sensors. They work based on a signal in this case 433mhz. Each sensor has battery is assigned a number and the monitoring system is told by the tech which number is in what position. So if you rotate without reprogramming the system might say left front is low even though it the right rear cause it has no idea you rotated them. So with rotating, bad batteries and sad tire service centers I bought an autel kit with the programer and it comes with 433mhz sensors which happen to be popular our cars have them also. It clones the old sensor number, reprograms the positions and I think it will assigned new numbers. So if you are changing your own, have a bad tire shop who's hand you have to hold or rotating your own it works great for me cause it works for so many different manufacturers. Also find a tire shop that doesn't use bead sealer. That bead sealer gets all over the sensors. I never ever use it. it's also worth calling the dealer and see if they do tires then you get all oem with new batteries. If your diy go with the autel kit. If your not go to the dealer have them all oem new and programed correctly. Or look for a good tire guy which is getting hard to find as the chains are buying them out left and right.

Most of what you're stating isn't true. The only mostly factual point is they operate at 433Mhz.

They are not programmed for a position on our trucks, the system figures that out after driving the vehicle. You can rotate tires without reprogramming the sensors.

Factory Mopar sensors on the new trucks are coded with a unique range of codes that work with the trucks. Only aftermarket sensors that can be coded to the same range will work.

jadmt

Reaction score
Most of what you're stating isn't true. The only mostly factual point is they operate at 433Mhz.

They are not programmed for a position on our trucks, the system figures that out after driving the vehicle. You can rotate tires without reprogramming the sensors.

Factory Mopar sensors on the new trucks are coded with a unique range of codes that work with the trucks. Only aftermarket sensors that can be coded to the same range will work.
the four I just got at the dealership had 434mhz printed on the sensors. I should have thought to take a photo but I did not. Now maybe 433 and 434mhz are close enough but my dealer's parts guy said the parts number had just been upgraded to end in AE vs the previous AD. regardless I mounted them up and they were recognized before I backed out of my driveway.

Jackmup

Reaction score
Put it this way I tire iron my own tires. Bought the autel it clones the oem on all of my vehicles sets the frequency and programs the position into the ecm. That's how I do it. I don't wait for the ecm.
So far it worked on gm,honda,subaru,ford,dodge. I figured since guys are looking for TPMS they are also doing their own tires and it's a safe bet they own other vehicles as well. I work on a fleet of KW's and all sorts of small trucks, just wanted say TPIS is an inflation system acronym coined along time ago by eaton spicer. If rams accept a new transponder signal without a computer I wouldn't know. But other manufactures won't. So I can verify this thing works all the way around. I can't get an inspection if a TPMS is bad. They fail me. Sorry if I said it wrong just trying to help.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score

Thanks for that info Brutal. I thought I read that somewhere but I couldn't find it in the owner's manual. Good to know when I go to the tire shop. That is if the factory sensors I ordered ever arrive!

ianacole

Reaction score
Reviving this thread for a question. I had new wheels put on by Discount - they used universal sensors in the wheels. Not surprisingly, the system is not able to read them. Discount is telling me it's going to take a month or more to get Chrysler sensors in. My thought was to order them myself then have them put them in. In looking at the parts diagram (https://store.mopar.com/2020-ram-25...cal-tire_pressure_monitor_components-TH19300/), do I need to order both item numbers 1 and 3, or do I need to just order item # 1?

Thanks!

pishta

Reaction score
Dig out the CR2023 battery in the old one and replace it, silicone it back up and run it. Shame wasting $36 a pop on a 50 cent battery issue. Weigh the original so you can get the balance back when you goop its back up with silicone. There are a wide variety of platforms the same 433mhz TPMS Mopar/Fiat/Jeep/etc uses

Users who are viewing this thread