Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convex mirror glass for larger section of side mirrors

Squatch

Reaction score
I would love to be able to replace the flat larger section of glass on my side mirrors with a convex piece, anyone do this successfully?

UglyViking

Reaction score
I haven't seen anything but I would be very interested. The pass side primary lens is "magnified" (presumably just flat) and it drives me insane.

el_barto

Reaction score
Contact Boost Auto Parts and see if it’s something they can make. They specialize in custom truck mirrors so if there’s demand I can see them considering it.

Squatch

Reaction score
He stated the obvious that the flat mirror gives further back vision and the convex little guy does that job, and that they replicate the stock setup…sounds to me like they are making the lawyers happy. If I found a convex piece the right dimensions, I’d just epoxy it on there ;) I found some options on Amazon that are made to actually replace those parts, but they have either no reviews, or crap reviews, and I don’t know the company.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
I haven't seen anything but I would be very interested. The pass side primary lens is "magnified" (presumably just flat) and it drives me insane.
Im glad im not the only one! The magnification is crazy! It looks like the car is right next to you when its really 2-3 car lengths back, ive been relying primarily on the blind spot mirrors to gauge distance.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Because we are not used to flat " true vision" mirrors. Had the same issues on a Harley police model. Just replaced with aftermarket long stem mirror to get the convex mirrors back.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
He stated the obvious that the flat mirror gives further back vision and the convex little guy does that job, and that they replicate the stock setup…sounds to me like they are making the lawyers happy. If I found a convex piece the right dimensions, I’d just epoxy it on there ;) I found some options on Amazon that are made to actually replace those parts, but they have either no reviews, or crap reviews, and I don’t know the company.
AT least you got a response. I sent them an email months ago and never got a response.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I just noticed both of my mirrors apear the same nothing about the passenger mirror seems magnified perhaps you could get a mirror from a canadian truck if thats the case? @Jimmy07 could you give any insite

DougB

Reaction score
I just noticed both of my mirrors apear the same nothing about the passenger mirror seems magnified perhaps you could get a mirror from a canadian truck if thats the case? @Jimmy07 could you give any insite
Tow mirrors aren’t “magnified” just when you move away from a mirror your field of vision narrows. Try sitting in passenger seat, adjust the mirrors as if you were driving from there and the drivers mirror will now look “magnified” and the passenger mirror will look “normal.”

This drove me nuts until someone explained to me the physics and purpose. Still would like a wider field of view on passenger mirror tho so I could see the top of the TT as I can with drivers mirror.

bamorris2

Reaction score
I think that the “issue” is that most passenger rear view mirrors are slightly convex and therefor give a wider view. But it seems that the main glass on the tow mirrors are completely flat, therefor appearing to be magnified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Tow mirrors aren’t “magnified” just when you move away from a mirror your field of vision narrows. Try sitting in passenger seat, adjust the mirrors as if you were driving from there and the drivers mirror will now look “magnified” and the passenger mirror will look “normal.”

This drove me nuts until someone explained to me the physics and purpose. Still would like a wider field of view on passenger mirror tho so I could see the top of the TT as I can with drivers mirror.
Mine gives the same view as any other vehicle i have owned the passenger mirror shows everything as if its further away with a large field of view

DougB

Reaction score
Mine gives the same view as any other vehicle i have owned the passenger mirror shows everything as if its further away with a large field of view
Oh, is that why you said check into a Canadian passenger mirror, you've got a north of the border model?

ram25002022

Reaction score
Has anyone found out if the Canadian passenger mirror is convex? I really hate the flat mirror on the passenger side and the small spot mirror is too small.

Users who are viewing this thread