Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple hood questions

kristof

Reaction score
First thing is when I drive on highway about 70mph the hood "flexes" . It looks like it's about to pop open. I checked to make sure it's tight on the hinge and it is. Another thing is when I go thru car wash air blowers. It gets push down in some spots. Like there is no support under the top layer of the hood. Same thing happens on the roof but you guys already told me this is nothing to worry about. I don't remember any of my previous RAM doing this. Are they trying to save money on the material so they use thinner one? You know like on the plastic bottles.

Chrisminx

Reaction score

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
It’s a numbers game. The lighter they can make the truck, the more efficient it can be AND the more payload they can squeeze into it. Probably cost of materials as well.

my hood does this, too. I don’t think it looks sketchy on the highway but it definitely flexes and moves a little.

In a car wash it looks like it’s going to turn inside out under the blowers lol

kristof

Reaction score
At first I thought it was loose on the latch since my remote starter was added after I purchased the truck and the latch need to be replaced. But I did checked it and it as tight as it can be. 70% of my driving is highway so the hood flexes a lot of times. Just don't want the paint to start chipping.

kristof

Reaction score
I also wonder if one day it will flex and stay that way. Then if I go to the dealer they will say I sit on the hood or something fell on it and they won't fix this.

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
I was driving with a friend to Michigan and he says your hood is moving!! I said just be happy it is not hot outside...I would have to show you how my A/C works!! Then I had some wires get chafed and my tailgate fell off, which I feel pretty lucky about because I think someone was following me with intentions of stealing it.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I was driving with a friend to Michigan and he says your hood is moving!! I said just be happy it is not hot outside...I would have to show you how my A/C works!! Then I had some wires get chafed and my tailgate fell off, which I feel pretty lucky about because I think someone was following me with intentions of stealing it.
Post of the year! Bout fell out of my chair laughing

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be worse.

<whisper> you hear that CP4 buzzing?</whisper>

jadmt

Reaction score
A big zip tie around both hood latch rubbers no more flutter on the JK’s
I swapped the factory latch rubbers to Daystar rubber latches and that solved my problem. I have the bad habit of having to look under my hood about everyday lol. Not sure why or what I am looking for but it is just a bad habit i have lol.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I swapped the factory latch rubbers to Daystar rubber latches and that solved my problem. I have the bad habit of having to look under my hood about everyday lol. Not sure why or what I am looking for but it is just a bad habit i have lol.
You can use the oem latches as normal with the zip tie too lol i didnt want to spend money on the hood latches lol

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I also wonder if one day it will flex and stay that way. Then if I go to the dealer they will say I sit on the hood or something fell on it and they won't fix this.
I can say that probably won’t happen. I have unlimited pass, so I take my 2017 through the car wash every day it isn’t raining or snowing. My hood flexes like a fat kid bouncing on a trampoline, and there’s no visual adverse signs, and my truck has been through the wash at least a thousand times (literally).

kristof

Reaction score
I can say that probably won’t happen. I have unlimited pass, so I take my 2017 through the car wash every day it isn’t raining or snowing. My hood flexes like a fat kid bouncing on a trampoline, and there’s no visual adverse signs, and my truck has been through the wash at least a thousand times (literally).
I'm glad to hear that. Just never experienced something like that before.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that. Just never experienced something like that before.
Welcome to the wonderful life of aluminum why auto companies think its a good thing to use is beyond me, i know a few guys here with them aluminum fords and the bodies are corroding pretty badly and some of the quotes to repair the corrosion and re paint is over 10grand where a regular steel body would be 5-6 grand.... aluminum is great for docks and stuff like that thats about it

Users who are viewing this thread