Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4.2 Pump Poll

Has your CP4.2 fuel pump failed?

• Total voters

heyguy

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been done yet but I thought it might be beneficial to do a poll on Gen 4.5 CP4.2 fuel pump failures to see just how much of a problem it actually is.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
To what end?

I'm not sure we need yet another CP4 thread for people to come and complain, never to be seen or heard from again.

The more threads, the higher probability it will skew search results and any semblance of actual pump failure rates. The vast majority of owners don't come anywhere near the forums so all these threads do is draw in those that have experienced failures.

heyguy

Reaction score
To what end?

I'm not sure we need yet another CP4 thread for people to come and complain, never to be seen or heard from again.

The more threads, the higher probability it will skew search results and any semblance of actual pump failure rates. The vast majority of owners don't come anywhere near the forums so all these threads do is draw in those that have experienced failures.
To put the debate to an end. Which I see it is headed that way already.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
There is no way to end the debate amongst us customers.

They fail at a rate higher than should be considered normal by reasonable enthusiasts. That does not mean it WILL fail, just that it has a higher likelihood to do so than say, a CP3 or Denso HP4 or even a CP4.2 on a Powerstroke. The mid year pump revision eludes to a problem internally. That's just not a part they tinker with for no reason, to get the same engine output. I understand polls like these (that also pop up on FB groups daily) are designed to show that most people don't have problems, or even affirm fears, but again, it's too subjective and the sample size just wont be representative. Only FCA knows the true number. It's my opinion that it is higher than would be considered acceptable for any other single part, especially considering the collateral damage, but it's not quite to Ford 6.0 PS level yet and the pump revision may have well isolated it.

The only way the debate will end is when RAM either revises (they did), replaces, or recalls the pump which isn't likely to happen soon because of manufacturing restrictions due to the Rona. The next piece of information we're all waiting for is what pump the 2021s have on them with proof, not just hearsay. After that, it will be a waiting game to see if it ever gets addressed in a TSB or recall and that may never happen.

Until then, the debate will continue. The seed has already been planted. This HAS been a black eye for RAM and trust me, they know it. My chips are in the pile that says they'll resolve it when they can rather than abandon it. If they do abandon the 19 to mid-year 20s, let's just be glad there's a no tune aftermarket solution to go to after the 5yr/100k warranty is up.

Cheers.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of pics and video of 2021 built in Nov with CP3 but they're all SO. No word on the HO's yet.

Users who are viewing this thread