Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crusty's 75th Annv PW #1590 build/mods adventure

Bajaboy7

Reaction score
So I have a Kenwood VHF 110W radio that I use when I do race support down in Baja and out in Nevada.
I didnt want to cut up or drill into the new truck so I've been working on designs. Heres what I've come up with so far.
The main. Radio will be mounted under the back seat on the passenger's side. It fits behind the factory sub and amp. I originally built a back angle bracket i had plan on bolting down using the back outer seat bolt and the seat belt mounting bolt.
But once i got the bracket in, i found out i cannot get to the seatbelts bolt.
So I'll mount it to the seat bolt and just put the "tab" behind the seat belt mount. Once tight, this should hold the radio in place. I also built a front mount for the radio. This is so I can raise the radio an inch off the floor to get air all around it. Yea, I miss drilled the front mount and have to refill it so the base is u NV der the radio.View attachment 20115View attachment 20116View attachment 20117View attachment 20118
View attachment 20119

I knew the user name looking familiar from RDC! Great thread!

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Back at the tire shop. Got the "Death wobble" at 50 MPH. Adding a little more balance beads and adjusting the alingemet to
Toe 0 or a little toe in.
Castor back to 4.25 to 4.5 with 0 cross castor.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Back at the tire shop. Got the "Death wobble" at 50 MPH. Adding a little more balance beads and adjusting the alingemet to
Toe 0 or a little toe in.
Castor back to 4.25 to 4.5 with 0 cross castor.

Yikes... they sure do look good.

Any pics of the whole truck with the new shoes?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I'll have to take one.
So redid the alingment. Added 2 oz more of balance beads to the tires.
For the most part, it's gone. But I think I may have at least 1 bad ture. Need to do some more driving and rotating tires to find out.
But for now, I need to load the trailer and head to the new house.
Counter guy at 4WP where I bought the tires is useless. My sales man and the shop tire guy are pretty much on the same page.
So think I'll wait till I move and try the shop at the new homestead.
The counter "manager " doesent like balance beads. And says I need to run 45 PSI in my tires.
He also doesent bleive in the tire inflation tables that the manufactures put out. :rolleyes:
Guess he's just a tire guru from the beyond.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So took all 4 tires/wheels off and dropped them off at 4Wheel Parts in Reno to see what's going on. We found the issue. Strangest thing that in 20 + years of using balance beads, I've never seen this. Seems to of the tires, the bag never broke open. So the tire was always out of balance.
So they went the old school route and put regular weights with the spin balance.
My death wobble and vibration is gone. Truck rides nice now.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So after 21K on my MT tires, it's about time to replace them. They are almost at the wear bars. They did work good, but I think I may only get 25K out of them, if I'm lucky.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
So after 21K on my MT tires, it's about time to replace them. They are almost at the wear bars. They did work good, but I think I may only get 25K out of them, if I'm lucky.
Wow I would not have guess that they would lasted so few miles.

What are you going to get to replace them?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
May get the same. Or go back to BFGs.
Also thinking of going to 37s.
If I get 30K out of a set of tires, I'm happy.
I've always been hard on tires, even on my Harleys. I'd get half of what others got. But I rode hard.

Megalodon

Reaction score
So took all 4 tires/wheels off and dropped them off at 4Wheel Parts in Reno to see what's going on. We found the issue. Strangest thing that in 20 + years of using balance beads, I've never seen this. Seems to of the tires, the bag never broke open. So the tire was always out of balance.
So they went the old school route and put regular weights with the spin balance.
My death wobble and vibration is gone. Truck rides nice now.
I ended up trying the Centramatic wheel balancers for the 39 inch K02s on the H1 and they work fantastic!!!! No one could spin balance the 39s and I didn't want beads floating around the inside of the tire.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I ended up trying the Centramatic wheel balancers for the 39 inch K02s on the H1 and they work fantastic!!!! No one could spin balance the 39s and I didn't want beads floating around the inside of the tire.
Quick sidebar (sorry @Crusty old shellback!) did you have the tire shop attempt to balance the tires with weights and used the Centramatics as additional support, or did you only run the Centramatics?

And @Crusty old shellback, I've heard that BFG has updated the larger size KO2s and KM3s to better account for the weight of these larger rigs. No direct experience but that is what I've read. Allegedly this spring/summer they are releasing the new KO3s, which may be something to look at if you can stretch them out a little further. I'm looking at stepping up to 39s and am currently trying to hold out for the new KO3 to see if they also come in a 39" (basically 0 options for a 39" AT tire as of the moment).

Past that, if you're sticking with 37s, I think there are a lot of options that may be better, with newer tread and rubber tech than what BFG offers. I know a lot of guys have been exceptionally happy with offerings from Mickey and General along with the obvious non RT flavors from Toyo, Nitto, and Falken.

Megalodon

Reaction score
Quick sidebar (sorry @Crusty old shellback!) did you have the tire shop attempt to balance the tires with weights and used the Centramatics as additional support, or did you only run the Centramatics?

And @Crusty old shellback, I've heard that BFG has updated the larger size KO2s and KM3s to better account for the weight of these larger rigs. No direct experience but that is what I've read. Allegedly this spring/summer they are releasing the new KO3s, which may be something to look at if you can stretch them out a little further. I'm looking at stepping up to 39s and am currently trying to hold out for the new KO3 to see if they also come in a 39" (basically 0 options for a 39" AT tire as of the moment).

Past that, if you're sticking with 37s, I think there are a lot of options that may be better, with newer tread and rubber tech than what BFG offers. I know a lot of guys have been exceptionally happy with offerings from Mickey and General along with the obvious non RT flavors from Toyo, Nitto, and Falken.
UglyViking,

I just used the Centramatics. I have the 35 K02s on the Power Wagon, those fit on a tire balancer and came out great. The 39s were just mounted on the rims and because of the CTIS I didn't want anything floating around the inside of the tire. Several folks who have larger tires and have the beads have said that sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. The Centramatics have worked so well. I didn't think they would for a tire that large, but smooth as the PW.

Victory or Valhalla

Smittys2500RAM

Reaction score
OK, so I've been having a issue in that my mirror mounted auxiliary reverse lights would go out every time I started backing up the truck.
Asked the question on here and others say theirs works fine, and we couldn't understand why mine didn't.
Then one member said something about Cailf not allowing cargo lights on when the truck is moving.
So I went digging into the owners manual. Sure enough, right there in black and white in a note, it states California AND Mississippi do not allow the auxiliary reverse lights to work while the truck is moving. WTF?

So me being me, I started looking around in my ALPHA OBD and found this.

If I go into the BCM, scroll to the bottom I find
Car configuration change.

So I click on it and then go to select option and scroll down about half way and find
2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat.-Baggage (Cargo) Lamp Output Disabled with vehicle moving

I then hit set value and select no. then start.
And it changed my setting.

Backed everything out and tried the mirror lights.

THEY WORK! So I now have the mirror axillary reverse lights on my Calif truck. Yea me.
Looks like I have the same issue and will need that 2014 CBC Config deal..... thx for all the information!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread