Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins caught emissions cheating - fined 1.67 billion mega thread.

rfullen280

Reaction score
Ever think this could be the EPAs way of slamming doors on third party programmers? I have wondered about this recall since it goes all the way back for vehicles that are equipped with even older generation ECUs?
Yep - isn't there a ban on selling vehicles with open recalls? And marking recalls complete is an electronic automatic process...so a "friendly" tech may not be able to fudge it. Couple years back I just realized that my current truck is going to have to last a long time, and will be un-sellable through a dealer network of any kind...

So, any law, regulation, or edict passed for "safety" which the above story surely is... can always be weaponized against free people.

mhraxo

Reaction score
Ever think this could be the EPAs way of slamming doors on third party programmers? I have wondered about this recall since it goes all the way back for vehicles that are equipped with even older generation ECUs?
seems to be a Cummins thing. No mention of powerstroke or duramax

rfullen280

Reaction score
"Yet". It was only a VW/Bosch thing a decade ago.

Regulatory bodies regularly work similar "cases" against similar entities. What you're seeing is the end result, the settlement, the recall, and the news release...

How long was that case in work? Months? Years? Gov't employees are in their position for long periods of time, and they can milk a project for decades until retirement. Budget wise- 1.X billion dollars amounts to nothing in the US budget, but it's a heck of a statement on an annual personnel appraisal form. And I"m sure there's a form. Bureaucracies can't live without forms....

sstoner911

Reaction score
SO they paid California in this fiasco, does that mean that trucks were not meeting California requirements only?...They have their own set of goofy emissions requirements that dont apply in the rest of the country.

rfullen280

Reaction score
SO they paid California in this fiasco, does that mean that trucks were not meeting California requirements only?...They have their own set of goofy emissions requirements that dont apply in the rest of the country.
Did they pay California because CA was the one that sued? Or did CARB do the research to find the "device"? Can you link more info?

CJ99X

Reaction score
GM (Isuzu) and Ford may be next maybe we haven't heard their stories as of yet. I was just thinking the way the fed works, heck they have spent the last few years going after "defeat" dealers and now saying private citizens cannot legally sell deleted vehicles who knows where these "unelected" nazis will land next.

CJ99X

Reaction score
Did they pay California because CA was the one that sued? Or did CARB do the research to find the "device"? Can you link more info?
I am willing to bet under the new regs imposed in CA that they may of caught whatever we are seeing and reported it to the EPA if it actually is a backdoor

CJ99X

Reaction score
"Yet". It was only a VW/Bosch thing a decade ago.

Regulatory bodies regularly work similar "cases" against similar entities. What you're seeing is the end result, the settlement, the recall, and the news release...

How long was that case in work? Months? Years? Gov't employees are in their position for long periods of time, and they can milk a project for decades until retirement. Budget wise- 1.X billion dollars amounts to nothing in the US budget, but it's a heck of a statement on an annual personnel appraisal form. And I"m sure there's a form. Bureaucracies can't live without forms....
these things do tend to take a very long time to drag out for sure. Heck look how long it took them to recall C series Chevrolets that were burning people alive in side impacts and that was the NHTSA who "reacts" quickly

rfullen280

Reaction score
these things do tend to take a very long time to drag out for sure. Heck look how long it took them to recall C series Chevrolets that were burning people alive in side impacts and that was the NHTSA who "reacts" quickly
And that the NHTSA - this here is a DOJ settlment...how many automotive engineers work there? 0 point 0?

Nope, I figure we're about 95% peak awesome on our trucks, not sure what new "feature" I'd want that I am willing to pay 80-90k USDollars for.. I think what I have is damn near perfect....

Jay P

Reaction score
GM (Isuzu) and Ford may be next maybe we haven't heard their stories as of yet. I was just thinking the way the fed works, heck they have spent the last few years going after "defeat" dealers and now saying private citizens cannot legally sell deleted vehicles who knows where these "unelected" nazis will land next.
Isuzu doesn't have anything to do with the Duramax anymore. GM bought them out a couple of years ago.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 17.27.04.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 17.27.04.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 16

Jay P

Reaction score
Looks like May of 2022 so this generation of engine is still I would say Isuzu designed ;)
Motortred had an article stating LML and newer were 100% GM designed and Isuzu involvement stopped in 2010 ( it was just financial after that).

mhraxo

Reaction score
Motortred had an article stating LML and newer were 100% GM designed and Isuzu involvement stopped in 2010 ( it was just financial after that).
I think gale Banks stated that on a video at one point as well

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

How so?

There's a new rumor running again about it "locking ECU (correctly a PCM on a Cummins)" which is just not true. At least one person has already reported a tune flash after the 67A recall on a 2014.

CJ99X

Reaction score
GM Authority says the L5P is a joint design so I asked AI and this was the answer in 2001 lol 1703639722656.png

CJ99X

Reaction score
How so?

There's a new rumor running again about it "locking ECU (correctly a PCM on a Cummins)" which is just not true. At least one person has already reported a tune flash after the 67A recall on a 2014.
I am speculating that they are slamming all doors since they went after the delete companies in the past couple of years. Who actually knows until the repair comes out as to what the issues were with the EPA. I think we lost the diesel in 2007 as they keep taking an already efficient engine and wasting fuel to "clean it up"

mhraxo

Reaction score
I am speculating that they are slamming all doors since they went after the delete companies in the past couple of years. Who actually knows until the repair comes out as to what the issues were with the EPA. I think we lost the diesel in 2007 as they keep taking an already efficient engine and wasting fuel to "clean it up"
Wonder if part of their issue with emissions is that wonky system they use by injecting late in the exhaust cycle where some is burned in the engine the rest makes its way to the DOC to create the heat for the dpf burn off.

Users who are viewing this thread