Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you keep something in the receiver to prevent rear end damage if someone bumps into you?

kristof

Reaction score
Maybe we should get together and design a spring loaded bumper that will mount in the hitch receiver. I have a bunch of heavy duty springs at work :cool:

Docwagon1776

Reaction score
I ordered this recently, haven't gotten it yet so no feedback on it to share.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
I made a couple hundred of these a few years ago. They worked well for Wranglers. Similar concept as jadmt.

That's one of the most unique and useful designs I have seen in a long time. Would like to have something similar for my SXS. Anywhere I can buy one or something similar?

I keep my hitch in 100% of the time. Gotta be ready to tow whenever needed.....

DammitDave

Reaction score
Google this "Hitch Receiver Skid Plate" there are all kinds of them out there.

Firebird

Reaction score
I was just thinking how much damage even a minor bump to the bumper would cause, or even just someone pulling too close and bumping into it while parking. Do you guys keep a hitch ball or something else in the receiver at all times so somebody would hit that first before your bumper?
Yup, my big azz hitch for my 35' bumper pull camper

Cutfixer

Reaction score
I use this because I didn’t my wife to piss off my wife if she ran into it. That wouldn’t be good. No sharp points and works great to use as a step. Put a couple coats of flat black rust oleum to rough up the gloss finish. Heavy and tough.

Attachments

• 12FD5AA9-2137-495A-B069-A75D658D3F01.png
    12FD5AA9-2137-495A-B069-A75D658D3F01.png
    982.1 KB · Views: 71

jsalbre

Reaction score
I like them. Nice thing is it supper easy to attach a strap.
Please don’t use one of those step things to attach a strap. Especially not one from a nameless “brand” on Amazon. You have no idea what it’s made of or how it was made. The last thing you want in a recovery is a big hunk of metal flying through the air. Use rated recovery points only.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
No it’s not a ‘’step’’ it’s a solid chunk of iron made to loop a strap through an eye and around one of its outer ears. Don’t fret it will be ok. ;)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
No it’s not a ‘’step’’ it’s a solid chunk of iron made to loop a strap through an eye and around one of its outer ears. Don’t fret it will be ok. ;)

If you're going to use that for recovery, it's probably good for an ATV/UTV. For your safety and the safety of others, please don't recovery a vehicle with that.

That 10K static load rating, even if believable, is useless.

Users who are viewing this thread