Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Towing Technology or Tow Technology Plus Group include wiring for trailer camera?

maine3500

Reaction score
hi all - I've been searching these forums like crazy, as well as google, and I just can't find the answer. I'd like to buy a 3500 and I'll be trailering a 24' enclosed racecar trailer. I find towing intimidating.

There are 2 groups:
- tow technology plus group
- towing technology group

both or either is selectable, and they seem to have different features from each other, all of them pretty great.

Now here's the confusion: neither of the groups includes "Wired Tow-Mode Camera" -- which is only selectable if I choose a THIRD option: "Tow-mode digital rearview mirror" package which includes the digital rearview mirror AND the wired tow-mode camera. (The plus group mentions this digital rearview mirror but not the camera for the trailer.)

If I try to choose this third option, so I can see behind the trailer, it deselects the plus group, and then I lose trailer steering control and other things.

This wired tow-mode camera does not appear as a standalone option.

Long story short: is it impossible to have both the plus package and a camera on the back of the trailer? That seems weird to me.

The digital rearview camera showing what's behind the trailer would be so rad...but so would the steering control.

Thanks!
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. I've searched and not found the answer.

maine3500

Reaction score
To add to the confusion, I see now there is a standalone "Wired Tow-Mode Camera" option...but when I try to choose that, it insists on removing the Safety Group...which in turn makes no mention of that feature.

Ugg. The worst scenario would be if I got the Towing Group and the Tow Group Plus and the Safety Group, and somehow I didn't even end up with the wiring to allow a camera on the back of my trailer that shows up on my rearview. That's what I'd like to avoid.

pr3dict

Reaction score
If you don't get the the camera at time of ordering you can't get it at any point in the future. ever.

maine3500

Reaction score
Ok, thanks, that makes sense.

But how do we get the backup camera/rearview mirror AND the towing packages? I'm so confused why they would be mutually exclusive.

pr3dict

Reaction score
Because last year they weren't and the only way to get the fancy new mirror was to get the towing package with the trailer reverse knob... Sooooo if you don't need a reverse trailer backup thing then you were SOL.

maine3500

Reaction score
are you saying last year you had to get all the packages together? I'm ok doing that. What's weird here is that it's saying I *can't* get all the packages together. If I try to get the mirror/cam, then it makes me remove the other features.

Man, I'm more confused than ever.

jsalbre

Reaction score
The Towing Technology group does not come with the digital rear view mirror. It just adds the surround camera system if you don’t have that with some other package.

The Tow Technology Plus group adds the digital rear view mirror, plus the side cameras that can be viewed on the mirror when the trailer camera is hooked up (this is the 3 camera view that the pictures of the mirror show). It also adds the trailer reverse steering control. It does NOT come with the trailer camera. This package requires the selection of the Towing Technology group as well.

The Tow-Mode Digital Rear-View Mirror Package comes with the digital rear view mirror AND the trailer camera. It does not appear to come with the side view cameras.

The towing camera is available as a stand alone option if you have the Tow Technology Plus group. The is is the “Tow Mode Camera”, not the “Trailer Camera”.

So far the camera itself has been unavailable for purchase from Mopar since the 2023 models came out with the new mirror, meaning that if you don’t get the package that comes with the camera, or add the camera option on, it’s hard to say when or if you’ll ever be able to buy it.

You can’t get the mirror+camera package and the package with the reverse steering control together because they come with different mirrors.

Clear as mud?

Last edited:

CortexM0

Reaction score
If you want the wired tow-mode camera, you'll need to order a package that has the digital rear view mirror. These three packages are the Limited Level 1 Equipment Group, Tow-Mode Digital Rear-View Mirror Package, and Tow Technology Plus group. Any one of these packages should get you the wiring (on the truck) and the plug (on the rear bumper) for the wired tow-mode camera.

IMPORTANT: Of these three packages, only the Tow-Mode Digital Rear-View Mirror Package actually includes the Wired Tow-Mode Camera. For the other two packages, you'll need to add the Wired Tow-Mode Camera as a separate option. (See below image). It's very important to include this option with your truck order. If you don't get one with your truck, this trailer camera has proven (almost) impossible to obtain later.

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 8.45.24 AM.png

The key thing to look for is option XH7. As long as your order includes that, you should get the tow-mode camera with a package that supports it.
Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 9.06.10 AM.png

maine3500

Reaction score
thanks @jsalbre and @CortexM0 - these lengthy explanations help.

It seems if I'm not mistaken the ideal configuration is to get:

- Tow-Mode Digital Rear-View Mirror Package
- Towing Technology group
- Safety Group

*but* deselecting the Tow Technology PLUS group (since it's not allowed with the above). The only thing this would lose for me is the trailer steering control... and I would have everything else.

Would be nice to have it all, but that doesn't seem possible.

jsalbre

Reaction score

- Safety Group

*but* deselecting the Tow Technology PLUS group (since it's not allowed with the above). The only thing this would lose for me is the trailer steering control... and I would have everything else.

"Ideal" depends on what you want.

If you want the trailer reverse steering control then you can get the Tow Technology Plus group and add the stand-alone "Wired Tow Mode Camera (XH7)". This is also the only way to have the triple camera view in the rear view if you desire that. Getting the trailer reverse steering control does prevent you from getting Aux switches though.

CortexM0

Reaction score

- Safety Group

Which model are you building? I have no problems selecting the safety group, tow technology plus, and towing technology group at the same time. Then just add on the stand alone wired tow-mode camera option near the bottom.
Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 4.34.18 PM.png

jsalbre

Reaction score
Which model are you building? I have no problems selecting the safety group, tow technology plus, and towing technology group at the same time. Then just add on the stand alone wired tow-mode camera option near the bottom.
View attachment 66589
He's trying to select those packages and the Tow Mode Digital Rear View Mirror Package. That's where the issue comes in.

maine3500

Reaction score
That's right. If I have all 3 of those packages selected (Tow, Tow Plus, and Safety) then I can't do either of the 2 solutions to get the trailer camera:

- if I just choose the standalone wired tow mode camera, it quietly REMOVES the Safety group and I lose all those features
- if I choose it as a package (the Tow Mode Digital Rear View Mirror Package) then it REMOVES the Tow Plus.

In other words, it does not seem possible to have all of these things together: digital rearview mirror, tow camera, steering control, safety group, and other tow features.

I care less about the aux switches.

I finally gave up - as did my dealer - and I've dropped the Steering Control. If anyone can post a fully loaded build on here as an example that counters my experience on a 2024 3500, I'd love to see it! This is a 3500 Laramie Level B with 8' bed and snow chief, too, in case that matters.

Thanks all!

jsalbre

Reaction score
That's right. If I have all 3 of those packages selected (Tow, Tow Plus, and Safety) then I can't do either of the 2 solutions to get the trailer camera:

- if I just choose the standalone wired tow mode camera, it quietly REMOVES the Safety group and I lose all those features
- if I choose it as a package (the Tow Mode Digital Rear View Mirror Package) then it REMOVES the Tow Plus.

In other words, it does not seem possible to have all of these things together: digital rearview mirror, tow camera, steering control, safety group, and other tow features.

I finally gave up - as did my dealer - and I've dropped the Steering Control. If anyone can post a fully loaded build on here as an example that counters my experience on a 2024 3500, I'd love to see it! This is a 3500 Laramie Level B with 8' bed and snow chief, too, in case that matters.

Thanks all!
Don’t rely on the website builder, it’s rarely accurate. What matters is the order guide. The dealer should have that and it says what packages/options require or exclude others.

CortexM0

Reaction score

Thanks all!
I tried the same build and saw the same issue. Interestingly, this appears to only happen on a Laramie. But as jsalbre said, the website isn't 100% accurate.

You can find the 2024 order guides in this thread: https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/2024-ram-hd-order-guides.14760/.

From what I can see, the Safety Group (AAU) has no requirements or restrictions listed.
Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 11.46.32 PM.png
It is correct that the digital rear view mirror package(AVF) is not available with the tow technology plus group(AVS).

And the Tow-Mode Camera (XH7) must have the AVF or AVS package (one of the packages with the digital rear view mirror), and is not available with the regular rear view auto dim mirror (GNK).
Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 11.46.07 PM.png

So to me, it looks like you should be able to get the Safety Group (AAU), Tow Tech Group (AAN), Tow Tech Plus Group (AVS), and Tow-Mode Camera (XH7) at the same time.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks all!

Snow chief might be your issue, as that includes aux switches which aren’t compatible with tow tech plus.

So do you want aux switches or trailer reverse steering?

Also, the Ram build and price website is notorious for having errors. I never saw it work right while I was in the research phase for my 2022. Costco’s build vehicle app is much more accurate.

Last edited:

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Snow chief might be your issue, as that includes aux switches which are compatible with tow tech plus.

So do you want aux switches or trailer reverse steering?

Also, the Ram build and price website is notorious for having errors. I never saw it work right while I was in the research phase for my 2022. Costco’s build vehicle app is much more accurate.
I think you mean: “are NOT compatible”

ATCavi8or

Reaction score
I’m actually very disappointed in the way Ram allows you to add things. I ordered a truck with all the towing extras but apparently I can’t have the actual backup camera despite having the mirror that gives you three views. No matter how I tried to add the camera it always either removed the Tow Technology Plus group or the Safety group, both of which I wanted. Why in the world would adding just the wired camera itself (not the option that also adds the mirror) remove the Safety Group which has nothing to do with the backup camera? So I guess I’m getting a mirror that displays both sides of the truck but no way to display what is behind my trailer. And apparently as others have reported it is impossible to buy the camera after the fact. By the way I ordered the Snow Chief group and the Tow Tech Plus group so we will see if I get the aux switches or not. Those I don’t really care about but the rear camera issue ticks me off.

Attachments

• Ram3500 Order.pdf
    40.5 KB · Views: 2

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m actually very disappointed in the way Ram allows you to add things. I ordered a truck with all the towing extras but apparently I can’t have the actual backup camera despite having the mirror that gives you three views. No matter how I tried to add the camera it always either removed the Tow Technology Plus group or the Safety group, both of which I wanted. Why in the world would adding just the wired camera itself (not the option that also adds the mirror) remove the Safety Group which has nothing to do with the backup camera? So I guess I’m getting a mirror that displays both sides of the truck but no way to display what is behind my trailer. And apparently as others have reported it is impossible to buy the camera after the fact. By the way I ordered the Snow Chief group and the Tow Tech Plus group so we will see if I get the aux switches or not. Those I don’t really care about but the rear camera issue ticks me off.

Costco build and price allows the tow-mode camera (wired) to be added with the Safety Group while the Ram site does not. Historically the Costo build and price is far more accurate than the Ram one.

Did you have the dealership run an inquiry up?

Users who are viewing this thread