Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drive through question

Chris.Gio

Reaction score
New to the HD world. Excited for truck to arrive. Today I was at in-n-out (a CA thing?), and as I made my way around the relatively sharp u-turn on drive through I started thinking... can this be done with a megacab? Do you guys think twice about certain drive throughs? Has anyone ever gotten stuck or had to back out??

Ostracize

Reaction score
Mega srw = no biggie, can be tight but I've never been stuck.
Can't speak for mega drw, but I'd assume you won't want to attempt too many tight drive throughs

LossPrev

Reaction score
If you wait as long as possible before you start turning you can make some pretty tight turns but I will not go into our local Starbucks drive-thru, and not just because I don't like overpaying for coffee. There is curbing barely wider then the truck all along the path and have to make a 90 degree turn. It's literally impossible without either scraping the tire on the curb or saying fk it and just going up on the curbing for awhile

Yillbs

Reaction score
New to the HD world. Excited for truck to arrive. Today I was at in-n-out (a CA thing?), and as I made my way around the relatively sharp u-turn on drive through I started thinking... can this be done with a megacab? Do you guys think twice about certain drive throughs? Has anyone ever gotten stuck or had to back out??
Tacobell comes to mind... But don't worry, if you have surround view, add a quick link to your nav bar at the bottom of your screen, and turn it on. The little bumpers will guarantee you never curb the wheels :p

Joel19Ram

Reaction score
Tacobell comes to mind... But don't worry, if you have surround view, add a quick link to your nav bar at the bottom of your screen, and turn it on. The little bumpers will guarantee you never curb the wheels :p

Yep I got quick link to my surround camera for this reason, and parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pronto

Reaction score
No issues with my mega cab at the drive thru. Fold the mirror in if you want to get close. I don't care if I jump a curb but I don't think I have. I agree with having a quick link to your surround view to help with parking.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
There is only one drive though my CCLB wont fit in my experience i wont even try it as my old RCLB 2nd gen could barley make it through i had to climb the curb to do so.... they put it in a sharp corner with the building on one side and retaining wall on the other..... most other drive throughs i bring my trailers with me since i cant find a spot to park it lol

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Its a truck it should never have tires that would allow the wheels to hit before the tires... rubber bands are not truck tires! Lol

Yillbs

Reaction score
Its a truck it should never have tires that would allow the wheels to hit before the tires... rubber bands are not truck tires! Lol
yeah... you're not wrong lol. I was merely using it as a point of reference. It helps with the navigating tight spaces.

Yillbs

Reaction score
I dont have that space age tech i just go till it sounds expensive! Lol i have yet to hit anything though
You can actually get it added to your truck. I have a tradesman with it. It's probably the coolest thing ever haha.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
We have a Mega and get through most drive throughs without issue. Just need to be careful. There have been a few occasions where I needed to back up a bit in order to complete a very sharp turn. Also generally need to fold in my tow mirrors. Now if you want to talk difficult, try getting in and out some of these gas stations with a 30' trailer in tow. Definitely one advantage for the diesel guys as you just go where the 18 wheelers go. However for us gassers it can sometimes be difficult. Have to make sure you can get out before you go in.

RichM752

Reaction score
I never use drive thru. Even in my wifes Outback. My reason being, is that I dont want to stink up the vehicle with the smell of a hamburger.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
We have a Mega and get through most drive throughs without issue. Just need to be careful. There have been a few occasions where I needed to back up a bit in order to complete a very sharp turn. Also generally need to fold in my tow mirrors. Now if you want to talk difficult, try getting in and out some of these gas stations with a 30' trailer in tow. Definitely one advantage for the diesel guys as you just go where the 18 wheelers go. However for us gassers it can sometimes be difficult. Have to make sure you can get out before you go in.
Most rig stations are card locked now

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I have had issues with some drive thru places with extended cab long beds. In my dually, I do not even any place that has any hard barriers. Most are space constrained and the larger trucks are not considered, or are a small number to be discarded as insignificant.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
If you can get in, you can get out!!
Not true. I've seen some drive throughs that the radius of the required turn was to small for any long bed vehicle. Those turns are usually lines with concrete. I'll just run over the cones if too tight.

Users who are viewing this thread