Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Calipers torque specs on 2019 Ram 2500 hd diesel 4x4

bnmyster

Reaction score
Morning all, I'm changing my brake pads on my 2019 ram 2500 hd 6.7 diesel 4x4 and in need of some info.
1. what are the torque specs for the front calipers and size of socket ( i get 5/8 and 16 mm - which one is it)
2. what are the torque specs for the front calipers bracket and size of socket (15/16 or metric)
3. are the above torque specs and socket sizes differ from the rear calipers and bracket?
4. Lastly , ( don't laugh) what is the torque specs for the lug nuts.
all info would be appreciated, and Happy 4th of July for all of you out there.

flan

Reaction score
The lug nut tq specs are in the owners manual. 130ft/lb comes to mind. I don’t recall ever using a tq wrench during a brake job. I just snug everything up tight and make little the click noise with my mouth.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Lugs are 130Ft lbs. and there is no standard socket sizes on almost ever vehicle for over 20 years…. 16MM for the calliper slide pin bolts and IIRC its 22MM for the bracket bolts. Tq wrench stays in the tool box for brake jobs just use german specs (goodentight)

jetrinka

Reaction score
Another vote for goodentight. Snug up the slide pin bolts with a 3/8" ratchet and the bracket bolts with a good long 1/2". Good to go. 130 lb/ft for the lug nuts.

superjoe83

Reaction score
The torque specs are the same for the front and rear, 55 ft. Lbs. for the caliper to bracket, 260 ft. Lbs. for the bracket to the knuckle/axle

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Yup caliper mounting bracket is ballz tight! I missed tightening one of my front ones and it rotated the whole situation out into the wheel....stay militant on those torque values my friends!

bnmyster

Reaction score
Thank you all for the info. I got the job done without a hitch and with very little mess. (I forget to remove the reservoir cap before i push on the pistons). Now if I'm right , then the only time you remove the bracket itself is if you want/need to turn/cut/replace the rotors. Is that correct, or there is another reason to remove the bracket and not the sliding pins?. Next is new shocks

Barryg

Reaction score
I haven’t turned a rotor for almost 40 years and well over 1,000,000 miles with zero issues. I did have to put some new rotors on my 01 around 400k miles due to being near minimum thickness.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I haven’t turned a rotor for almost 40 years and well over 1,000,000 miles with zero issues. I did have to put some new rotors on my 01 around 400k miles due to being near minimum thickness.
Good for you for doing it wrong and being a cheap bastard willing to risk yours and other peoples safety on the road…. You cant run new pads on old rotor surfaces thats just stupid and wrong you are effectively reducing your braking capability and wearing new pads out prematurely…

bnmyster

Reaction score
you cant just change the pads the rotors need to be changed or turned too
Good Point. I didn't mention my rotors due to the fact that I just had my tires/rims balanced in a Cummins shop that also do brakes and rotors. ( that's how I knew that the front pads need to be replaced) and was told that the rotors do not need to be turned or changed at this time, otherwise I would have done them too. especially that most of the braking power is around 75% in the front. Again thank you.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Good Point. I didn't mention my rotors due to the fact that I just had my tires/rims balanced in a Cummins shop that also do brakes and rotors. ( that's how I knew that the front pads need to be replaced) and was told that the rotors do not need to be turned or changed at this time, otherwise I would have done them too. especially that most of the braking power is around 75% in the front. Again thank you.
If your pads are worn out that means the rotors need to be turned or replaced the ridges the pads leave in the rotors are going to cut in to your new pads and make your new pads less effective

jetrinka

Reaction score
Good for you for doing it wrong and being a cheap bastard willing to risk yours and other peoples safety on the road…. You cant run new pads on old rotor surfaces thats just stupid and wrong you are effectively reducing your braking capability and wearing new pads out prematurely…
I just want to point out how happy I am to finally see you use the you’re “doing it wrong” in a post - I’ve seen it under your username forever now LOL

Also you’re not wrong. Never understood not at least having the rotors machined flat. I personally view rotors as throwaway parts - always put new on but resurfacing should be the minimum you do.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I just want to point out how happy I am to finally see you use the you’re “doing it wrong” in a post - I’ve seen it under your username forever now LOL

Also you’re not wrong. Never understood not at least having the rotors machined flat. I personally view rotors as throwaway parts - always put new on but resurfacing should be the minimum you do.
Never pad slap! Rotors are cheap

Users who are viewing this thread