Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel filters backordered

Thisnthat

Reaction score
Noticed that the usual online sites that offer the genuine mopar fuel filters (geno's and others) are backordered until the end of April. Anyone know of other reputable sites/businesses/Ram dealers? The cheapest I've found them at a "local" dealer is +$250 for the pair.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
They have them on ebay- lol....hung dang kong- an OEM supplier..

Did you try autohauosaz or rockauto?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Noticed that the usual online sites that offer the genuine mopar fuel filters (geno's and others) are backordered until the end of April. Anyone know of other reputable sites/businesses/Ram dealers? The cheapest I've found them at a "local" dealer is +$250 for the pair.

Geno’s often ships faster than their backorder date, but don’t count on.

Many of us have started keeping a set on the shelf, use them and then order another set right away.

With todays backorder issues it’s a good idea to have one of everything on the shelf.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Geno’s often ships faster than their backorder date, but don’t count on.

Many of us have started keeping a set on the shelf, use them and then order another set right away.

With todays backorder issues it’s a good idea to have one of everything on the shelf.

Prepper's motto: 2 is 1, 1 is none.

wrvond

Reaction score
When I placed my order for two sets of filters last month Geno's contacted me to say the backordered fuel filters did not have an "expected by" date and that they could refund the money on those parts or ship them separately. When I said keep the order as is and don't ship separately because I shouldn't need them until May, Tina seemed genuinely impressed. Her whole phone demeanor seemed to brighten. :)

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Doc's Diesel

Meh….

I’ve been intrigued by Doc’s, but nothing I see on their website is compelling over the OEM filters.

1) they only list the engine mounted filter as a f/w sep; but both are f/w seps when OEM.

2) no mention of micron ratings.

3) recommended 5K-10K filter change intervals. That’s a big red flag since fuel filters are more efficient the longer they run, so either their filters don’t have the same dirt holding capacity of the OEM filters or they just want more of your money.

4) They list SAE J1985 specs as their testing specs, but that’s not the standard that is used for OEM filtration. I like J1985, but it’s not used anymore. Let’s compare apples to apples.

5) lots of fancy marketing words, but I don’t see anything along the lines of “meets or exceeds OEM spec”. They guarantee fitment, but don’t mention any guarantee of filtration.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I ordered stock replacements the other day (I always have at least 1 or 2 of everything on the shelf at all times) from Geno's and the frame F/W filter shows backorder 4/30 and the AB air filter 5/15. LF16035 filters and engine fuel filter in stock.

oledirteh

Reaction score
i run Mopar when i find the set under 100$. I've been running doc's for the past 40-50k miles with no issues. with docs I've noticed that if i push the gauge to the recommended change that i start losing power. so, i do them around 13-15k.

i also use def at the pump, have since day one. almost 92000 miles, 0 shop visits and 24hr regens.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
i run Mopar when i find the set under 100$. I've been running doc's for the past 40-50k miles with no issues. with docs I've noticed that if i push the gauge to the recommended change that i start losing power. so, i do them around 13-15k.

That’s an indication of inferior filters.

i also use def at the pump, have since day one. almost 92000 miles, 0 shop visits and 24hr regens.

I also use pump DEF, but that has no bearing on regens.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
each their own. ive had no issues. maybe im lucky? who knows. everyone has their jam.

You just told us an issue, so how have you had no issues?

Noticeably losing power means restricted fuel flow, that’s not great for the HPFP.

oledirteh

Reaction score
You just told us an issue, so how have you had no issues?

Noticeably losing power means restricted fuel flow, that’s not great for the HPFP.

my take is, restricted flow due to catching contamination. there for change said filters. this leads me to believe oem is allowing more through which is also bad. running oem you can run it out to the end of the suggested filter life via the dash and never notice it.

I dont do that running docs, or anyone else's cause well..... it seems to be catching more. maybe im wrong, i dont claim to be a diesel tech but what works for me and the 3 6.7's and combined 400k+ in miles with 0 issues tells me what works.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
my take is, restricted flow due to catching contamination. there for change said filters. this leads me to believe oem is allowing more through which is also bad. running oem you can run it out to the end of the suggested filter life via the dash and never notice it.

I dont do that running docs, or anyone else's cause well..... it seems to be catching more. maybe im wrong, i dont claim to be a diesel tech but what works for me and the 3 6.7's and combined 400k+ in miles with 0 issues tells me what works.

Based on all the info on the website I don’t gather it’s catching more, I gather they hold less dirt which is why I think it’s an inferior product.

The media that is used in the OEM filters is the best filtration media I’m aware of, and also has the highest filtration efficiency. I highly doubt Doc’s has a better media. There isn’t a current rating for fuel filters that exceeds the current OEM spec for these trucks.

Years of extensive filtration research has lead me to be leery. Lots of products claim to be the best, but let’s see the specs.

When there is better than OEM filtration I run it, without hesitation. On these engines the only non-OEM filter I run is the oil filter.

oledirteh

Reaction score
well, let's do this for science. I'll continue to run docs for the next hundred thousand miles. I'm also running them in an eco diesel for a friend. i suspect 100k will take me about 2 years since I've settled down driving. you run oem. first of us to have a fuel related failure buys the beer? cool? :)

my bet is my trans going out long before anything above happens lol

oledirteh

Reaction score
Sorry bored at work, and been doing some research.

So Oem is rated at 3 micron inner, 5 micron outer.

Docs on 3rd party testing shows that its catching sub 3 micron.

1712240425729.png
1712240461920.png

OEM is made in china
Doc's Diesel Fuel Filters are made in Taiwan
OEM filters meet the minimum requirements set by the original equipment manufacturer

now i have been unable to find 3rd part test results on OEM filters, but what i found was this

he MOPAR NanoNet for '10-'24, 6.7L Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel trucks is a two-stage fuel filter designed to trap smaller particles than other aftermarket fuel filters by using a proprietary filter medium. It has a 5 micron outer filter with a 3 micron inner filter.

now im not defending docs, or oem, just bored lol.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The issue is that OEM isn’t using that standard anymore, so it’s not an apples to apples comparison.

The J1985 specs on their filters look good, which is why I think they lack dirt holding capacity.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
I'l stick with OEM simply for the fact I have a 2022 that stays hooked to a horse trailer, has about 30k miles, and if I end up having any fuel issues, the last thing I want Ram to say is..."why aren't you using OEM"? I've had my years of K&N filters and even a "Green" brand oiled air filter on my '03 and wix fuel filters back then. I

Users who are viewing this thread