Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone leveled a 3500 with the auto level rear air suspension?

Nick

Reaction score
Hey Guys!
I’m new to the forum and also the HD world. I recently upgraded to a 2021 Laramie 6.7 with Rear Air from a 2020 Rebel and 15 Rebel before that. I absolutely love the truck. When unloaded I run the truck in “Alt Trailer Height” and it gets the truck closer to level which im ok with. I’d rather not do a front leveling kit as I have limited clearance in my garage. I like the idea of doing a 1” air bag spacer and adjustable links to archive a softer ride in the rear. What have you guys used to achieve this? Carli Spacer and the adjustable links from Revel.. and thats it?
Unless Ram changed the settings Alt ride height does not work when to towing

John Jensen

Reaction score
Unless Ram changed the settings Alt ride height does not work when to towing
As I said in post #21 (also post #22), my 2020 3500 Alt Ride Height only works when towing.
I believe it requires a 600+ lb load to work. Other posts have said theirs work with no load.
It's been opined that ARH will work anytime on the 2500s and that 3500s require a load (post #24)

DeadEnd

Reaction score
Here is my 3500 limited, 2.5 Carli level kit with 2” rear blocks and 2” airbag spacer.
Looks close to level, unfortunately I’m on holidays, so haven’t picked up the truck and not able to measure.
Looks great!!

STGS517

Reaction score
As I said in post #21 (also post #22), my 2020 3500 Alt Ride Height only works when towing.
I believe it requires a 600+ lb load to work. Other posts have said theirs work with no load.
It's been opined that ARH will work anytime on the 2500s and that 3500s require a load (post #24)
My 23 3500 SRW alt height works with no load. It drops the height about 1 inch or so. It is very noticeable when I drop it and that’s how I run around empty.

BigRig

Reaction score
My 23 3500 SRW alt height works with no load. It drops the height about 1 inch or so. It is very noticeable when I drop it and that’s how I run around empty.
That’s interesting, it seams that some do and some don’t. The loaner truck I have right now won’t lower without a load.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

Interesting, that’s the first 3500 I’ve heard of that will do that as the previous years already run close to minimum pressure in normal height without a load. Bed lowering mode only drops my 22 around 1/2”, and that’s empty bags not minimum pressure bags.

Any pics of the springs? Something had to have changed.

It should also be a slightly rougher ride as you’re now riding on all the leaf springs, not just the softer normal height ones.

BigRig

Reaction score
Thanks just wish I went with 37” tires instead of the 35”

phatboy64

Reaction score
Thanks just wish I went with 37” tires instead of the 35”
That is nice looking! You can’t beat the ride you get with a Carli setup, it really is a night and day difference.

I had always run 35s on all my trucks. When I was waiting for my 2023 to arrive I kept going back and forth on 35s vs 37s. So glad I went with 37s, I don’t think I would go back to 35s.

STGS517

Reaction score
I’m thinking mine works because there is air in bags at normal ride height which has raised truck that 1 inch. In alt height mode, it lets the air out . Probably all about how the sensors are adjusted from factory. Anybody that has adjusted theirs to no air when empty cannot achieve a lower height . IDK Just a guess

Cseybert

Reaction score
For the guys with DRW trucks what are your measurements with factory air from the floor to the fender with regular tire pressure. On both front and back. I will check mine and send it later today. I know it will vary a little bit depending on your options.

Cseybert

Reaction score
22 DRW 4x4 Laramie. Factory air suspension.
Front from floor to top of fender well 40” both sides. Back 401/2”

BrokenMind

Reaction score
Here is my 3500 limited, 2.5 Carli level kit with 2” rear blocks and 2” airbag spacer.
Looks close to level, unfortunately I’m on holidays, so haven’t picked up the truck and not able to measure.
What shocks did you use for the rear

BigRig

Reaction score
What shocks did you use for the rear
The ones that came with the level kit.
The shocks accommodate the 1” rear block for the non Ram air set up and those trucks already sit 1” higher stock. When you add a 2” block to the rear of a truck equipped with the Ram air the hight will be the same as the Ram without air.

Stinz20

Reaction score
The ones that came with the level kit.
The shocks accommodate the 1” rear block for the non Ram air set up and those trucks already sit 1” higher stock. When you add a 2” block to the rear of a truck equipped with the Ram air the hight will be the same as the Ram without air.
Where did you get 2" blocks and air bags spacers from? Thinking on doing the same set up

BigRig

Reaction score
Where did you get 2" blocks and air bags spacers from? Thinking on doing the same set up
I got everything for the rear from ReadyLift, but there are other companies that make the spacers and blocks.
If you choose to go with ReadyLift here are the part numbers.
ReadyLift 66-1302 | Factory Air Bag Spacer
ReadyLift 66-3122 | Rear Block Kit

Just of note when all this was first installed it sat level. Now the rear is .5” higher as the front coils have settled in. If I would have gone with the 1” blocks and spacer the front would still be higher than the rear and would have looked odd in my opinion. I see this a lot when people level their trucks it looks like the back is squatting, so I’m very happy with how it turned out. The truck looks dead level and the only way you can tell it’s higher in the rear is if you measure it.

Stinz20

Reaction score
I got everything for the rear from ReadyLift, but there are other companies that make the spacers and blocks.
If you choose to go with ReadyLift here are the part numbers.
ReadyLift 66-1302 | Factory Air Bag Spacer
ReadyLift 66-3122 | Rear Block Kit

Just of note when all this was first installed it sat level. Now the rear is .5” higher as the front coils have settled in. If I would have gone with the 1” blocks and spacer the front would still be higher than the rear and would have looked odd in my opinion. I see this a lot when people level their trucks it looks like the back is squatting, so I’m very happy with how it turned out. The truck looks dead level and the only way you can tell it’s higher in the rear is if you measure it.
Thanks for the info. Which exact carli 2.5" system did you use up front?

BigRig

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Which exact carli 2.5" system did you use up front?
I pieced it together from CJC Off Road. If you buy the kit it comes with 1” rear blocks, so save yourself a couple hundred bucks and buy the coils and shocks separately then order the 2” spacers and blocks that you want.
Now CJC will tell you that the shocks are not tuned for the air ride suspension and I’m sure they’re not, but my truck rides amazing. Could it ride better with Carlie’s kit meant for our trucks, I have no doubt, but I was not prepared to pay that amount if $$$ to lift my truck.
I’m very happy with the look and ride and it didn’t cost my first born, I already gave her up for to buy the truck, Haha

marcdanziger

Reaction score
@Wvmountaineer87 I do also have the airbag spacers; forgot to mention them. The spacers, blocks, many tiny sensor adjustments, combined with much lower tire air pressures - 45 in the front 40 in the rear, results in the best overall ride quality that I've found (on 35's). Tire wear is even and consistent, ride is as comfortable as possible for a 1-ton, and before @Brutal_HO asks... no it isn't "squishy" :)

I crank up the tire pressures by about 20psi respectively when towing.
Dumb newbie q: How do you deal with TPMS when you drop the tire pressure to that level?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Dumb newbie q: How do you deal with TPMS when you drop the tire pressure to that level?

3500’s don’t have TPMS, they have TPIS which is just information and won’t set off any alarms.

2500’s can change the threshold with apps like JScan or AlfaOBD.

Users who are viewing this thread