Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heated/Cooled seats question

RamThis2500

Reaction score
Interesting.. I'm looking at installing the rear Limited seats for the heat and vent option. Hmmmm

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Interesting.. I'm looking at installing the rear Limited seats for the heat and vent option. Hmmmm
The rear seats aren’t an issue, just the fronts. The only thing with the rears is you need the buttons on the back of the center console, and populating the wiring for those. That’s a whole separate issue, and I’m working on the solution for that right now.

Spydermunkey

Reaction score
And thanks Jimmy07 for the replies. I wouldn't go for a full seat swap, was just curious if anyone added the fans.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
And thanks Jimmy07 for the replies. I wouldn't go for a full seat swap, was just curious if anyone added the fans.
It can be done that way, too. I’ll have to check and make sure this would be everything, but you would need:
Both front base seat cushions
Both front back seat cushions
The two fans for each seat
The two ventilation bags for each seat
Seat cushion harness for each seat
AlfaOBD to enable the vented seat settings
The seats would have to be almost completely disassembled to install the parts.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
It can be done that way, too. I’ll have to check and make sure this would be everything, but you would need:
Both front base seat cushions
Both front back seat cushions
The two fans for each seat
The two ventilation bags for each seat
Seat cushion harness for each seat
AlfaOBD to enable the vented seat settings
The seats would have to be almost completely disassembled to install the parts.
Looks like the leather seat covers are different for the vented seats, so those would need to be changed also.

Jaredbwilson

Reaction score
Now that we’ve cleared up the fact that a 2019-2021 HD ram can possibly only have front heated seats (it’s always been a standard feature on the Laramies in either 5 or 6 passenger seating)- yes, you can add heated/vented seats. All the body wiring is populated on the body harnesses for them to plug right in. You’ll need to use AlfaOBD to enable the feature. BUT...another member is going through this right now, I’ve been helping him along the way, and it’s been an absolute nightmare. The seats this member swapped in are from a limited, and the limited seats do not use side airbags in the seats, or an occupant detection sensor. I don’t know if this is the case for the Laramie heated/vented seats, but the new seats are reeking havoc on the airbag module. We’re still trying to iron it out, but I would either hold off, or make sure the set of seats you find have the side airbag option and occupant detection sensor.
Have you tried putting a 2.2 ohm resistor in the seat airbag squib circuit, and also run a resistor from the passenger seat occupant detection signal to the return? That should make the airbag module a little happier.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Have you tried putting a 2.2 ohm resistor in the seat airbag squib circuit, and also run a resistor from the passenger seat occupant detection signal to the return? That should make the airbag module a little happier.
Yes, 2 ohm resistor will kill the airbag fault, and 1k ohm will kill the occupant detection fault. But, we shouldn’t have to be doing that. It should be configurable in the BCM and ORCM.
I’ll actually have a chance to mess with this hands on in the next few weeks, as I’m swapping a set of limited seats in my truck that currently has occupant detection and squib. I’d rather get it figured out correctly than fool it, or swap the sensors over.

G’Dave

Reaction score
Just caught this thread. I have a 2022 Laramie on order from Mark Dodge. I sprung for the bucket seat upgrade because I wanted the center console. But no level 1 or 2. So no ventilation in the seats. Just heat.

I have driven a lot of nice cars over the past 5 years that have heated/ventilated seats, and don’t ever like/use the cooling feature, even in sweltering hot places. But I love the heated seats and steering wheel in cold weather.

So a saved a couple of grand by skipping the level 1..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

williams

Reaction score
Im a little late to the game, coming from the 1/2 world my previous truck was a 2014 Bighorn I was able to retrofit the entire 2018 Laramie interior into with full function. The cast resources on the 1/2ton side seemed larger and I used Alfa on that truck as well.

I now have a 2019 2500 bighorn and wish do the same. I assume same practice. Find a 2019+ swap the seats, and activate?

ajb3015

Reaction score
This is kinda digging up an old thread but in case any one is curious, Vented seats are no longer an option on the laramie for 2022. They are standard on longhorn and limited, and for some reason optional on power wagon, but not on laramie. I'm not sure why they would make this change, especially when it was apparently done in the middle of the model year (perhaps a "covid shortage"?). I hope they offer them on the laramie again in 2023.

1654288168754.png

JPRAM

Reaction score
Yes, 2 ohm resistor will kill the airbag fault, and 1k ohm will kill the occupant detection fault. But, we shouldn’t have to be doing that. It should be configurable in the BCM and ORCM.
I’ll actually have a chance to mess with this hands on in the next few weeks, as I’m swapping a set of limited seats in my truck that currently has occupant detection and squib. I’d rather get it figured out correctly than fool it, or swap the sensors over.
Any progress made on this? I recently swapped Laramie seats into my 2022 Tradesman. All power functions work, however the airbag light is on and there is a harness not plugged in on the right side of the driver seat since the plugs are different. Not sure if there is an adaptor harness or if I need to just buy the body wiring out of a laramie to make this all work correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_7784.jpeg
    IMG_7784.jpeg
    473.9 KB · Views: 16

JPRAM

Reaction score
Any progress made on this? I recently swapped Laramie seats into my 2022 Tradesman. All power functions work, however the airbag light is on and there is a harness not plugged in on the right side of the driver seat since the plugs are different. Not sure if there is an adaptor harness or if I need to just buy the body wiring out of a laramie to make this all work correctly.
Quick update, the picture I attached above, the plug on the right actually had a cover on it, once i unsnapped the cover i was able to connect the plugs together. I believe at this point I should be able to enable the Heated/Cool function, but I am still dealing with the Airbag light issue. Has anyone come up with any fixes other than a resistor. The seats i got came out of a 2021 Laramie.

tommygunz

Reaction score
JPRam, I'm dealing with the same issue. I just swapped seats out of a 2019 ram Laramie in my 2019 ram Bighorn and have the service air bag light... @Jimmy07 any tricks up your sleeve brother?
My driver seat also is hit or miss when it comes to moving the seat back forward. It reclines perfect but coming back up it'll dim the interior lights and with move very minimal before stopping. Maybe there is an issue with the motor? I'm guessing it might be binding up. I literally just put them in1000002049.jpg1000002046.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread