Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need good distance/driving lights

valv910

Reaction score
Hello, I drive and tow for a living. I travel mostly from NC to WA towing boats all year round. I wanted to have better long distance and overall lighting for interstate and highway driving, so I bought 4 KC Lights 3" C3 pods. overall they're ok but I need to double or more my High Beam capacity.
What are my choices ? I cannot afford to buy BD or DD or Rigid to test them and find out they're the wrong lights.

mountainears

Reaction score
My BD lights. Pic with high beams vs with the BD on.
2eaa320de18afb6fe0e0de16d3d75ae2.jpg

4cced95b9b860022e71e339261f45aa0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountainears

Reaction score
BajaDesigns XL Linkable Bumper Light Kit Install

mountainears

Reaction score
Check the link in my second response.

Dinky503

Reaction score
If your on a budget just go on Amazon and find good reviews. There are a lot of video reviews on YouTube of cheap lights

jebruns

Reaction score
Yes, if you use them properly there's no problem, much safer than those morons that buy LEDs bulbs on Amazon and blind everybody
You might want to check out the law on this one. Auxiliary lighting is illegal in many/most states on public roads.

el_barto

Reaction score
If your truck has the halogen headlights, consider upgrading to the OEM LED Reflector headlights. I personally think the light color is a bit cooler(blue) than i would prefer, the light output is satisfactory, i do not feel I’m outrunning my headlights on the highway.

mountainears

Reaction score
You might want to check out the law on this one. Auxiliary lighting is illegal in many/most states on public roads.

There are plenty of illegal things that people are willing to do.

I live in a very rural area, lighting is important to avoid deer. There are way more deer up here than there are police, and I know all the police.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Yes where I live you have to be able to see the wildlife. My all time record in the 13.5 mile commute to the first town was something like 35 Elk,28 Deer,14 Moose. Hitting a deer will mess up your day while hitting a moose could easily end your life.

ppine

Reaction score
Modern lights are really good.
Adding extra driving lights can get you in trouble with the law, except on backcountry roads.
Do not use them on main highways.

Last edited:

jsalbre

Reaction score
If you want extra lighting there are plenty of DOT compliant (there’s no such thing as DOT “approved” so if a light says that then you know it’s not) driving lights. Check your state of registration laws. There’s a reason that certain types and patterns of light are required for road use. More light isn’t necessarily better, and can even be worse if it’s not in the appropriate be pattern. You don’t want things close to you lit up brightly if you’re traveling at highway speeds because then you’re killing your ability to see things far off.

Last edited:

Poolmonkey

Reaction score

indeed..would result in getting popped pronto around here. I will run my bar sometimes when appropriate on backroads though it is indeed illegal, but would never on a highway let alone an interstate. Cattle are a major threat in Nevada, most of the state is open range and most of our cattle are black. Definitely would make sure that any lights burning on even minor thoroughfares are compliant, so…

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Anyway…I would recommend a KC LED bar. Lifetime warranty and not ridiculously priced like many of these things are while kicking butt just as well if not better.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Oregon only allows total of 4 forward facing light for driving. So fogs and headlight even with low beams and fogs not dropping out when high beams are on could get you pulled over. It is rare and is a add on ticket senerio, but running really bright off road lights will get you pulled over. I only use mine on late night mountain passes in foul weather.

Last edited:

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Oregon only allows total of 4 forward facing light for driving. So fogs and headlight even with low beams and fogs dropping out when high beams are on could get you pulled over. It is rare and is a add on ticket senerio, but running really bright off road lights will get you pulled over. I only use mine on late night mountain passes in foul weather.

Man..I usually wire my off road lights with switched signal for the relays tapped off of the high beam circuit but was afraid to with this plastic computer truck, didn’t want it going insane in the brain. Did you wire any in like that?…I came right off the battery for switched signal and line in.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Man..I usually wire my off road lights with signal for the relays tapped off of the high beam circuit but was afraid to with this plastic computer truck, didn’t want it going insane in the brain. Did you wire any in like that?…I came right off the battery for switched signal and line in.
There is settings in alfaobd so your fogs do not drop out when high beams are on. All my other off road light are on their own switch.

Users who are viewing this thread