Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Immediate air suspension service/repair required"

Najetset

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2016 2500 Limited 6.7 Megacab with rear air suspension.

When outdoor temperatures hit 0c (32f), I get an 'Immediate air suspension service/repair required' message. And the rear suspension does not rise at all, and is sitting down on its blocks after being parked overnight.
When outdoor temperatures are +1c or greater, no message is displayed, and rear suspension raises without issue, and maintains height even when trailering.
I have tested this by parking in a heated garage for a few mins and starting the truck again.

To me this seems to be some sort of sensor issue as the error is very consistent when temps are freezing or below.

This has been an off and on issue since I ordered/bought the truck new in 2016. The local dealer has replaced the compressor three times, as that is what their 'diagnostics' instruct them to do. This started on the truck's second winter (Here in Winnipeg, MB). I'm not certain that replacing the compressor is really fixing the problem as it seems to keep coming back.

Anyone know or have any thoughts of what is causing this?

82EC5164-CB9F-439D-9161-77FFCFEEDDC7_1_105_c.jpeg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Likely moisture in the system.

When it was serviced, did they refill with Nitrogen as the procedure instructs?

We have been discussing this in another thread...

Najetset

Reaction score
When it was serviced, did they refill with Nitrogen as the procedure instructs?
When the compressor was replaced, they said they 'recharged' the system with Nitrogen...

I took it into a different local dealer here yesterday, they said that the error message would be resolved by replacing both rear 'air springs'. p/n 68349603AA (at almost $5,500 CAD)

Before dropping it off, I read the following codes via Blue Driver:
C1556-96 - Ride Height Air Pressure Sensor Circuit: Component Internal Failure
C15D9-00 - Low Air Mass: No Sub Type Information
C1562-98 - Ride Height Air Pump Control Circuit: Component or System Over Temperature

Ramsomair

Reaction score
Can the factory air bags be replaced with standard coil springs?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
When the compressor was replaced, they said they 'recharged' the system with Nitrogen...

I took it into a different local dealer here yesterday, they said that the error message would be resolved by replacing both rear 'air springs'. p/n 68349603AA (at almost $5,500 CAD)

Before dropping it off, I read the following codes via Blue Driver:
C1556-96 - Ride Height Air Pressure Sensor Circuit: Component Internal Failure
C15D9-00 - Low Air Mass: No Sub Type Information
C1562-98 - Ride Height Air Pump Control Circuit: Component or System Over Temperature

That's all indicative of a leak.

Pump ran too long trying to air up and overheated.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Can the factory air bags be replaced with standard coil springs?

3500 air assist trucks use leaf springs with supplemental air springs.
2500 air ride trucks use only air springs.

Disabling either system with AlfaOBD and replacing with other hard parts is always an option.

For the 3500, the air assist truck springs shouldn't be run alone, they're not the same leaf pack as the non-air trucks.

Ramsomair

Reaction score
I have a 2500 with just the air bags alone. Just wondering if I should have a failure at some point, can the bags just be pulled out and coils put in. I am certainly not paying $5500.

Najetset

Reaction score
That's all indicative of a leak.

Pump ran too long trying to air up and overheated.

What is interesting is that when I warm the truck up before starting it (keeping it inside a heated garage for a half hour or so), the onscreen message is not displayed, and the rear raises. To me seems to suggest despite the OBD-II codes the compressor is still doing it's thing.

BigBob

Reaction score
I have a 2500 with just the air bags alone. Just wondering if I should have a failure at some point, can the bags just be pulled out and coils put in. I am certainly not paying $5500.
I have a 2023 Tradesman. I did not have a air springs on mine. I really liked the air system on my 2015 Mega Cab. I put the Timber Grove coil replacement bags on and really like them. I don't have a auto air system, but they do sell that. A lot cheaper than 5 K!

Users who are viewing this thread