Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a way to tweak back up warnings?

Creeker

Reaction score
I've got the non active parking assist thing, the one where you get beeps and an alarm if you back too close to something.

Unfortunately in my case that something can be something in the trailer hitch receiver that sticks out a bit; even a fairly short step triggers it. Not the end of the world to have the alarm shriek at you, but it is annoying. I don't suppose there is any way to adjust sensitivity so it doesn't bark at its own tail?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
No you cant adjust sensitivity but there was a company selling some covers for the center 2 so the hitch does not make it beep

Doombuggy

Reaction score
I want more functionality out of this- like maybe not beeping for a car parked in front of me when I'm in reverse.....

Would be nice to tailor the system to our issues.

CFE

Reaction score
you don't have the option to turn it off?

DrTron

Reaction score
Sure, I could turn them off completely, but it's not like I don't want them when driving forward. I mean, it's only like a few lines of code:
Code:
IF (transmission == D); then
front_sensors == ON
rear_sensors == OFF
ELSEIF (transmission == R)
front_sensors == OFF
rear_sensors == ON
ELSE
front_sensors == ON
rear_sensors == ON
FI

CFE

Reaction score
nah I was really asking if you had the toggle switches to disable them? In my 3500, I have a toggle for the front and rear that I can disable when towing.
Sure, I could turn them off completely, but it's not like I don't want them when driving forward. I mean, it's only like a few lines of code:
Code:
IF (transmission == D); then
front_sensors == ON
rear_sensors == OFF
ELSEIF (transmission == R)
front_sensors == OFF
rear_sensors == ON
ELSE
front_sensors == ON
rear_sensors == ON
FI

Speedracer93CobraR

Reaction score
I hate, hate, hate that my 'back up / reverse' sensors have to stay 'off'. My hitch triggers the alarm so it's useless. I am on and off a trailer multiple times a week and I am not going to take my ball out every time I unhook so unfortunately, I have to leave my rear sensors turned off. If they could just block out a tiny portion; it would work. It's actually one of 2 things that really annoy me on my truck. 2020 model.

Reactions: CFE

Barryg

Reaction score
Might try a different draw bar. I have a b&w tow and stow that pretty much lives on the back of the truck with 2 5/16 ball hanging out there with no issues (not in the stow position). Mine is a 22 so may be different though I don’t recall it an issue on my 17 either though again different than your 20

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I hate, hate, hate that my 'back up / reverse' sensors have to stay 'off'. My hitch triggers the alarm so it's useless. I am on and off a trailer multiple times a week and I am not going to take my ball out every time I unhook so unfortunately, I have to leave my rear sensors turned off. If they could just block out a tiny portion; it would work. It's actually one of 2 things that really annoy me on my truck. 2020 model.
Ranch hand has a solution for that. I have them on my truck and now i do not have any issue with my hitch in and sensors on

Riddick

Reaction score
Stellantis has one of the worst parking sensor systems in the industry. As others have stated when you place your vehicle in reverse if you are parked in front of a car prepare for the alarms to alert you. In many cases when I am backing my truck up my driveway the sensor will randomly go off simply from driving past bushes or trash cans, very annoying. In my truck you can turn the front and rears off which helps but you have to anticipate when you will get a random false alarm.

I figured this was an issue isolated to my truck and didnt think much of it. This past weekend we rented a Chrysler 300 that had blind spot monitoring which made the parking assist system go absolutely crazy in parking lots. I couldn't back up out of a parking spot without all of the sensors going off constantly. We also drove down a gravel drive way and the front sensor was not happy.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Stellantis has one of the worst parking sensor systems in the industry. As others have stated when you place your vehicle in reverse if you are parked in front of a car prepare for the alarms to alert you. In many cases when I am backing my truck up my driveway the sensor will randomly go off simply from driving past bushes or trash cans, very annoying. In my truck you can turn the front and rears off which helps but you have to anticipate when you will get a random false alarm.

I figured this was an issue isolated to my truck and didnt think much of it. This past weekend we rented a Chrysler 300 that had blind spot monitoring which made the parking assist system go absolutely crazy in parking lots. I couldn't back up out of a parking spot without all of the sensors going off constantly. We also drove down a gravel drive way and the front sensor was not happy.

I'd have to agree on that 100%. When I drive my wifes ford or ride in my bosses BMW I'm always reminded of this. That said the Ford sensors are alot closer to ours than to the sensors on that BMW lol.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I’m surprised nobody realizes why it is that the front sensors might go off while reversing.

DrTron

Reaction score
I’m surprised nobody realizes why it is that the front sensors might go off while reversing.
The why is pretty easy to explain: they don't get deactivated when the transmission is shifted to reverse. And as you're still close to the car in front (even though you're backing away from it), the sensors alert. Simple programming issue, really.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The why is pretty easy to explain: they don't get deactivated when the transmission is shifted to reverse. And as you're still close to the car in front (even though you're backing away from it), the sensors alert. Simple programming issue, really.
Well it does help with front end swing for the people who are not watching their surroundings on all sides

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Well it does help with front end swing for the people who are not watching their surroundings on all sides

This right here. In my 4th gen I knew where I could and couldn't trust them making tight maneuvers somewhere I knew well. Now with the 360 camera on the '22 I have them turned off half the time since the camera's are just so much more helpful. Cameras plus properly adjusted mirrors really make the sensors useless for me, but it would be nice if I could use them to enable the front camera like the '23's are supposed to do.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I keep my reverse sensors off (no forward sensors) and I still get beep warnings sometimes when backing up.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I keep my reverse sensors off (no forward sensors) and I still get beep warnings sometimes when backing up.
there was a flash that stopped that. I had that when i bought my 19 but after a flash it no longer happens i cant remember what the flash was though unfortunately

Users who are viewing this thread