Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JScan experience for new user

deanfx

Reaction score
Super recent first time Cummins owner here. After tons of research here and on the Tube I decided to try jscan as I wasn't invested into anything previously and the big factor is I am not an Android or Windows owner, all Apple. I do have access to some Android hardware however, so I thought if jscan didn't perform the basic functions I wanted I would just purchase Alfa as well.

All I wanted to do was turn on the VTA, actual gear indicator, and Bambi mode. The dealer told me they couldn't activate the security feature however they did on a 2019 Ram 1500 I had several years ago. So I didn't even mention the other features. I got my OBDLink MX+ in yesterday with my Kaotech dongle thing. Hooked it all up this morning and followed the simple instructions of turning off fog drop out. Then the security alarm, then the gear indicator. I couldn't believe the level of stress I had vs the simplicity of doing these changes.

Super good experience thanks to you guys and the one message I sent to the jscan dude and he replied last night within an hour. Thanks to Jimmy07 for explaining which cable type to get as well.
Preciate yall!

Last edited:

CdnHO

Reaction score
Super recent first time Cummins owner here. After tons of research here and on the Tube I decided to try jscan as I wasn't invested into anything previously and the big factor is I am not an Android or Windows owner, all Apple. I do have access to some Android hardware however, so I thought if jscan didn't perform the basic functions I wanted I would just purchase Alfa as well.

All I wanted to do was turn on the VTA, actual gear indicator, and Bambi mode. The dealer told me they couldn't activate the security feature however they did on a 2019 Ram 1500 I had several years ago. So I didn't even mention the other features. I got my OBDLink MX+ in yesterday with my Kaotech dongle thing. Hooked it all up this morning and followed the simple instructions of turning off fog drop out. Then the security alarm, then the gear indicator. I couldn't believe the level of stress I had vs the simplicity of doing these changes.

Super good experience thanks to you guys and the one message I sent to the jscan dude and he replied last night within an hour. Thanks to Jimmy07 for explaining which cable type to get as well.
Preciate yall!
I have been trying to find the gear indicator to turn it on. Can you point me in the right direction. I have the DRL and TPMS changed but darn if I can find the gear indicator

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You guys see anything in jscan for the idle shutdown timer? I enabled it last year and now can't seem to find it again in AlfaOBD. It's been inconvenient with the summer weather.

We were sitting in a mountain pass construction jam and having the truck shut off and require full key/button restart cycle to come out of park was not the best experience.

(I've yet to look at the log files)

deanfx

Reaction score
I have been trying to find the gear indicator to turn it on. Can you point me in the right direction. I have the DRL and TPMS changed but darn if I can find the gear indicator
Yep. I just searched for gear display in adaptations. Make sure your app is up to date as it was just added.
IMG_1782.png

Last edited:

Jay P

Reaction score
You guys see anything in jscan for the idle shutdown timer? I enabled it last year and now can't seem to find it again in AlfaOBD. It's been inconvenient with the summer weather.

We were sitting in a mountain pass construction jam and having the truck shut off and require full key/button restart cycle to come out of park was not the best experience.

There is a setting in the radio for the shutdown timer on my 21. Here is a pic of the owners manual on it.

Jay

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 19.04.16.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 19.04.16.png
    72.5 KB · Views: 37

CdnHO

Reaction score

Don't see anything with that wording. Tried search for idle, timer, and shutdown. No joy.

superjoe83

Reaction score

It's here in alfa

Screenshot_20230716_095954_AlfaOBD.jpg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Yea, I'm a dumbass and wasn't thinking about the ECU. I'll blame it on lack of time and focus. There may have been a lingering hangover at the time as well. LOL

scdo

Reaction score
Found it. Doesn't work on my 2021 3500. Will try it again just in case it reverted back.
You have to turn it on in JScan and then enable the option in the evic settings.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Yea, I'm a dumbass and wasn't thinking about the ECU. I'll blame it on lack of time and focus. There may have been a lingering hangover at the time as well. LOL
Hope the hangover wasn't from Bud Light. Naw!!!!!

nick00less

Reaction score
Anyone program a key fob successfully with OBD J Scan? Sorry I don’t mean to hijack your thread. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread