Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Larger Cup Holder

CortexM0

Reaction score
The small cup holders in my 2023 Limited have annoyed me ever since I got the truck. I usually just end up sitting my water bottle inside the center console, in front of the cup holders. This works, but they rattle around and fall over. After dealing with this for several months, I finally got annoyed to the point of doing something about it.

So I took the existing cupholder out and took some measurements and a few pictures.
Untitled 5.jpg

Then used these measurements and pictures to create a 3d model.
Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 5.13.21 PM.png

After a few iterations, I had something I was happy with. I made it as large as can reasonably fit in the space. Now any of my water bottles (with the exception of my giant 2 Liter) will fit.
Untitled 3.jpgUntitled 4.jpg

Files can be downloaded from here: https://www.printables.com/model/634652-ram-cupholder

Last edited:

CortexM0

Reaction score
One downside to maximizing the available space is that smaller cups can now tip sideways in the holder. But I do have the 3D model... So I also designed (and am currently printing) a removable insert. This insert should work with smaller cups while still handling my most often used water bottles.
Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 5.18.56 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-11-01 at 5.35.15 PM.png

If anyone else wants to print one, I plan on uploading the files to printables. I'll add a link once they're up.

I'm not sure which years/models it will work with. It's my understanding the sliding center console is slightly deeper in the limited than some other models.

CortexM0

Reaction score
Very nice. That texture on the bottom looks great - what filament did you use?
I used Inland Black ASA. My first time using ASA, but it printed without problems.

I wasn't expecting that pattern on the bottom. It must just be the result of the filament and infill pattern I used. I was originally planning on ironing the bottom, but that pattern turned out great.

gprguy

Reaction score
I wasn't expecting that pattern on the bottom. It must just be the result of the filament and infill pattern I used. I was originally planning on ironing the bottom, but that pattern turned out great.
Agreed - my first thought was that must be from a textured bed but that of course didn't make sense being at the bottom of a cavity like that.

Really nice work!

CortexM0

Reaction score
This was my largest and most complicated 3d model to date. It's just slightly too large to fit on my 3d printer, so I divided it into two pieces. Made a raised/recessed line to ensure proper alignment between the two halves. Then used acetone to glue them together.

untitled 6.jpg

I was a little concerned about a busted cup quickly leaking through and making a mess. To test against this I filled it up with water and only a very slow drip came through the seam. So it should be fine if a liquid gets cleaned up in a reasonable amount of time. But if liquid is left in there overnight, it will leak out. However, the good new is the lower part of the slider will contain a significant amount of liquid before it raises to a level it could leak out.

Untitled 7.jpg

The design does reuse the parts for the latch that prevent the center console from sliding forward and back. It also requires a few M3 button head screws.
Untitled.jpgUntitled 2.jpg

gprguy

Reaction score
Very nice and thanks for sharing. Not sure if I will make one myself but it's great to have the option if I find the cupholders too small.

Users who are viewing this thread