Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New tires installed!

anderson0172

Reaction score
Had Cooper AT3 XLT's 295/70-18 put on the other day. Really like the ride of the tire, the only negative I have is they hold a lot of gravel, maybe this will get better as they wear little. Really like the ride and look!Resized_20210324_171546.jpegResized_20210324_171602.jpeg

Attachments

• Resized_20210324_171720.jpeg
    Resized_20210324_171720.jpeg
    677.4 KB · Views: 102

RainDesert

Reaction score
Looks great, I love that size. I have tried all kinds of tires for rock retention because I live and work on gravel. Those AT3 will improve after a few thousand miles, they aren't the worst tire I have had in that respect. They ride nice and are very durable tires.

Last edited:

anderson0172

Reaction score
Looks great, I love that size. I have tried all kinds of tires for rock retention because I live and work on gravel. Those AT3 will improve after a few thousand miles, they aren't the worst tire I have had in that respect. They nice and are very durable tires.
Good to hear, I am really liking the ride with these tires!

Rama_Lama

Reaction score
Had Cooper AT3 XLT's 295/70-18 put on the other day. Really like the ride of the tire, the only negative I have is they hold a lot of gravel, maybe this will get better as they wear little. Really like the ride and look!
Looking good!! I plan on putting those on my truck. Is the speedo off much? Are your shift points roughly the same? Thank you

anderson0172

Reaction score
Looking good!! I plan on putting those on my truck. Is the speedo off much? Are your shift points roughly the same? Thank you
I haven't checked the speedo yet with a gps, I will do that soon. I'm sure it will be off between 1-2 mph depending on speed. Transmission is no different and to tell the truth I really don't even notice the added height or weight, truck seems to drive the same.

polcat

Reaction score
Other than being a CC, your truck isn't that much different from mine. I put on Nitto Terra Grappler G2s (295/60R20) on my truck a week ago and what a difference over the transfarce tires. Those Coopers are great tires, enjoy!

THC1

Reaction score
Other than being a CC, your truck isn't that much different from mine. I put on Nitto Terra Grappler G2s (295/60R20) on my truck a week ago and what a difference over the transfarce tires. Those Coopers are great tires, enjoy!
I'm looking at some Grapplers myself. I've heard 35" x 12.5 x 20 is the largest tire possible on stock setup. How do you like your ride with those?

polcat

Reaction score
I'm looking at some Grapplers myself. I've heard 35" x 12.5 x 20 is the largest tire possible on stock setup. How do you like your ride with those?
They are a slight bit noisier than the stock tires. The truck feels more planted to the road and the ride seems slightly better.

THC1

Reaction score
Do those rub at all? How about protruding outside the wheel well? My truck has shipped, I have to make a decision!

polcat

Reaction score
Do those rub at all? How about protruding outside the wheel well? My truck has shipped, I have to make a decision!
No rubbing at all. If they were 295/65R20s, then maybe a little at full lock.

Jdogbroland

Reaction score
Anyone put on BFG All Terrain T/A KO's? I've been using those tires for years but haven't seen them on this truck yet. Would love to see pics if anyone has them on. :)

Rama_Lama

Reaction score
Anyone put on BFG All Terrain T/A KO's? I've been using those tires for years but haven't seen them on this truck yet. Would love to see pics if anyone has them on. :)
Not the greatest pic, these are my winter shoes. 305/65R18 load E

Attachments

• 6E84D7DA-CBCD-49E8-9D99-964442226030.jpeg
    6E84D7DA-CBCD-49E8-9D99-964442226030.jpeg
    389.8 KB · Views: 105

Jdogbroland

Reaction score
Not the greatest pic, these are my winter shoes. 305/65R18 load E
Hey thanks for sharing. So, my factory rims are 20's with 285/60/20 Firestones. Not sure I want to get aftermarket wheels, so I'm wondering how a swap with the same tire size in the BFG's would look on it to be more specific. Yours look great BTW. :cool:

Rama_Lama

Reaction score
Well this thread convinced me to get new shoes.

295/70r18 Cooper ST Maxx on stock suspension and wheels. Had these tires on my last truck and loved em. Very quiet for an aggressive tire.
Those are the exact size and style I am considering! They spec at 34.24” in Dia., not a huge difference from stock... but different:)Any noticeable difference in shift points?
They look good, glad to hear(pardon the pun) that they run quiet.

Bob_ag

Reaction score
Cant tell a difference at all in shifting. The worst I’d expect is a quicker downshift out of overdrive on the highway.

I should also say there is a noticeable improvement in ride. Nothing extreme, but bumps were so jarring with stock tires and these seem to eat em up a little better even though tire place has em at 65 all the way around. I’ll air down a bit tonight.

parsonj

Reaction score
I should also say there is a noticeable improvement in ride. Nothing extreme, but bumps were so jarring with stock tires and these seem to eat em up a little better even though tire place has em at 65 all the way around. I’ll air down a bit tonight.
I have to say that my new '21 with the Firestones (even at 65lbs) has a much smoother/softer ride than my comparably equipped '17 RAM that I put Michelin LTX A/T's on. The '17 had an 80lb recommended inflation on rear for full loads and I kept them pretty close to that and that may have contributed to the harsher ride. However, I don't trust the Firestones (and never will) and will be changing them soon and so will be looking for that improvement you're talking about. Appreciate the recommendations on this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread