Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM alternate chassis fuel filter

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have zero intention of running the “cat” filter that comes with the adapter, and would absolutely run a Donaldson or other equivalent that met the filtration and water separation levels of the OEM.

I just cannot stand that damn rear cartridge. At all.
I cant imagine spending hundreds of dollars for something that takes 10-15 mins out of your life every 15,000k miles thats my issue with the replacement filter head i just don't see a ROI personally

OLEJOE

Reaction score
This is the one I took off my 22 3500 when I picked it up at the dealer and drove it home. I did open it up and the construction and parts looked just like a mopar filter. Can’t speak to the media itself.

You note that the slip on filter tool will now work. I had to use a strap to get it off. View attachment 72436
Is that an oil filter or a fuel filter?

Trash Panda

Reaction score
I cant imagine spending hundreds of dollars for something that takes 10-15 mins out of your life every 15,000k miles thats my issue with the replacement filter head i just don't see a ROI personally
Filters are approximately 20-30 dollars cheaper, so the ROI absolutely occurs over the 150k miles of owning a truck. Not to mention ease of service & no more mopar/Baldwin filter shortages to deal with.

Also, let’s be honest, I’ve spent 300 bucks in FAR dumber ways. This is pretty low on the “Jesus that was dumb” slider of things.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Filters are approximately 20-30 dollars cheaper, so the ROI absolutely occurs over the 150k miles of owning a truck. Not to mention ease of service & no more mopar/Baldwin filter shortages to deal with.

Also, let’s be honest, I’ve spent 300 bucks in FAR dumber ways. This is pretty low on the “Jesus that was dumb” slider of things.
Idk whats so hard about servicing the filter? Change the filters with the fuel tank low it drains out perfectly fine no mess

Trash Panda

Reaction score
Idk whats so hard about servicing the filter? Change the filters with the fuel tank low it drains out perfectly fine no mess
I just dislike the design. The plastic lid binds up like a sonofabitch, and I generally just ****ing hate it, no matter how easy it may be.

I’m not saying it’s rational, but it’s absolutely how I feel.

flan

Reaction score
I don’t believe the cap getting stuck is a oring thing, I believe it’s the perfectly mating plastic threads. It creates a lot of friction and everyone knows that initial pop once that breaks free. Some dry lube on the threads helps it spin off similar to a oil filter.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I just dislike the design. The plastic lid binds up like a sonofabitch, and I generally just ****ing hate it, no matter how easy it may be.

I’m not saying it’s rational, but it’s absolutely how I feel.
Really mine does not bind at all, that can be frustrating, at the end of the day if you feel its enough of a pain that you want to invest in the BMP filter head thats perfectly fine it really comes down to what its worth to you, i think it will work quite well for you.

One reason i prefer the plastic is it can take a rock from a tire and not penetrate the filter i have seen that happen enough with the FASS filters, i know our filters are in a better spot thankfully

Trash Panda

Reaction score
Really mine does not bind at all, that can be frustrating, at the end of the day if you feel its enough of a pain that you want to invest in the BMP filter head thats perfectly fine it really comes down to what its worth to you, i think it will work quite well for you.

One reason i prefer the plastic is it can take a rock from a tire and not penetrate the filter i have seen that happen enough with the FASS filters, i know our filters are in a better spot thankfully
Yeah, that low frame location for most FASS systems is honestly terrible.

Rocks, gelling issues in the winter, all of it.

Users who are viewing this thread