Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil filter. Is bigger better

Sam 15

Reaction score
First, I tried to do a search on this but nothing came up. I bought my 2014 3500 big horn 6.4 used. Last oil change I bought an oil change "kit" (7 qts oil penz 0-40 and a mopar oil filter). I was suprized that the oil filter was pretty small compared to what I am used to using on other vehicles. Not liking the size, I bought a IFA Metrostreet oil filter and installed it instead of the one that came in the kit. I'm sure the stock mopar filter is fine, but looking for opinions and experience on aftermarket oil filters, the good and not so good or is the stock mopar oil filter users happy with it.20221122_081354[1].jpg

Riddick

Reaction score
Size does not make a difference. You should be concerned with the filtration media inside the filter and the efficiency of said media. You should be able to view this info on the manufactures web site. I also believe the manufactures will post oil pressure data as well.

Read post #110 regarding the IFOA Metrastreet filters. The Mopar is a good filter and more than likely far superior to the IFA filter. https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/after-market-oil-filter-information.8441/page-6

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Size is far less important than the flow rating, filtration rating, and dirt holding abilities. If you don’t know those specs as compared to the OEM I wouldn’t run it.

Some filters are better aftermarket and some filters are better OEM.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Overall size means nothing compared to how the filter is made and the actual surface area of the media inside. Just run the stock filter and change your oil at correct intervals. The best oil filter is a clean/stock air filter.

Dave01

Reaction score
I've never heard of an IFA Metrostreet filter. One way to look at it, if you saw oil on the shelf that was labeled "Acme Awesome Truck Oil" and the label said it exceeded specs of other oil, you'd either laugh and move on or at a minimum look into the specs. Not trying to make fun of your choice, but have to stay with known quality or do the research.

Mopar tends to offer quality products, and they certainly don't want engine problems with their name on the filter, it's a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread