Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

" Pinning" the OEM LED Bed Light Kit to BCM/Fuse Box

sstoner911

Reaction score
I am installing the MOPAR LED Bed lights. There are 2 wires that need to ne connected for power and activation with the cargo light. The connectors for the BCM and under the fuse box have a "case" around them I need to remove in order to see the numbering of the slots so I can insert the wires in tot he correct place. I cant seem to find any clear instructions on how to remove it - just that it comes off.

Anyone had to do this?

20230602_154659.jpg

Last edited:

sstoner911

Reaction score
Mods you can delete this if you wish...I found the slot numbers written on the top side of the connector....very very very tiny..... very tiny....

DeadEnd

Reaction score
I've been wanting add the bed lights as well, but this is the part that has kept me from doing it. How much of a pain was it to get to that point in your picture?

sstoner911

Reaction score
I've been wanting add the bed lights as well, but this is the part that has kept me from doing it. How much of a pain was it to get to that point in your picture?
The lights and switch install easily, if your truck is pre-wired its even easier.... I was not that lucky. Took about an hour and thirty minutes to run the wiring up to the cab. Ran the wiring along the frame. The pin slot under the fuse box had a wire in slot 17 already so I just tapped that wire with the new one. I still need to connect the wire under the dash at the BCM. I was working under a couple pop up canopy but this Arizona heat took it out of me today. Probably have about another 40 minutes removing and reinstalling the drivers side fender liner to access where you poke the wires in to the cab.

This is one of these projects where is fairly straightforward but takes some time. Plus at 52 crawling under the truck is a bit slower

I plan to tackle the BCM connection tomorrow.

Last edited:

Raife

Reaction score
I finished this project last week. The under dash was a pita as it is up behind the parking brake. I misread the tap under the hood the first time. The numbers and ducking small but they are there. I did not have the prewire and followed the other wire bundle to the cab.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I finished this project last week. The under dash was a pita as it is up behind the parking brake. I misread the tap under the hood the first time. The numbers and ducking small but they are there. I did not have the prewire and followed the other wire bundle to the cab.

I used AlfaOBD to turn the bed light fumctgion on for the truck...they do come on when the door is opened with the cargo light - just need to have the green wire added to the BCM for the switch in the bed. I am having the 5th wheel prep package added on Saturday so I ll have them finish up the LED bed light connection at the BCM.

blbrown

Reaction score
The lights and switch install easily, if your truck is pre-wired its even easier.... I was not that lucky. Took about an hour and thirty minutes to run the wiring up to the cab. Ran the wiring along the frame. The pin slot under the fuse box had a wire in slot 17 already so I just tapped that wire with the new one. I still need to connect the wire under the dash at the BCM. I was working under a couple pop up canopy but this Arizona heat took it out of me today. Probably have about another 40 minutes removing and reinstalling the drivers side fender liner to access where you poke the wires in to the cab.

This is one of these projects where is fairly straightforward but takes some time. Plus at 52 crawling under the truck is a bit slower

Did mine at 67, so it was a real challenge getting to the BCM

sstoner911

Reaction score
Did mine at 67, so it was a real challenge getting to the BCM
Apparently FCA decided that the amp for the Alpine sound system was best placed in front of the BCM....I will let the dealer work with that!

20230604_135829.jpg

jerad

Reaction score

Sorry for the ignorance, how would someone find if our truck is already pre-wired?

I really want to add this bed lighting to my 2023 Bighorn but the connecting of wires under the hood/dash has me hesitant.

The local dealership quoted me over $400 in labor to install the light kit, connections, and computer updates. I had to pick my jaw back up off the floor.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Sorry for the ignorance, how would someone find if our truck is already pre-wired?

I really want to add this bed lighting to my 2023 Bighorn but the connecting of wires under the hood/dash has me hesitant.

The local dealership quoted me over $400 in labor to install the light kit, connections, and computer updates. I had to pick my jaw back up off the floor.
You can look up under the drivers side rear tire on the back side of the bumper...if there are 2 plugs there with nothing in them, and one on the passenger side...It's pre-wired.

I ended up having the Dealer wire the BCM. They quoted me $450 to do the job, I thought I would save me some money installing everything up the BCM...but they still charged me $300.

The wire under the hood was pretty easy once I could see the numbers on the harness end...I just used a wire tap to tap the existing wire.

You will also need AlfaOBD and the security cable to enable the LED light feature in the BCM. This will cost you $100 alone....

Might be easier to have the dealer install and program it.

jerad

Reaction score
You can look up under the drivers side rear tire on the back side of the bumper...if there are 2 plugs there with nothing in them, and one on the passenger side...It's pre-wired.

I ended up having the Dealer wire the BCM. They quoted me $450 to do the job, I thought I would save me some money installing everything up the BCM...but they still charged me $300.

The wire under the hood was pretty easy once I could see the numbers on the harness end...I just used a wire tap to tap the existing wire.

You will also need AlfaOBD and the security cable to enable the LED light feature in the BCM. This will cost you $100 alone....

Might be easier to have the dealer install and program it.

Well, I was hoping since I have the 5th wheel prep and the aux outlet in the bed they would of ran the wiring for the bed lighting but it does not appear they did. No empty connectors unfortunately. Definitely a whole lot of wires under there with the sensors, 5th wheel prep, and aux outlet.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Well, I was hoping since I have the 5th wheel prep and the aux outlet in the bed they would of ran the wiring for the bed lighting but it does not appear they did. No empty connectors unfortunately. Definitely a whole lot of wires under there with the sensors, 5th wheel prep, and aux outlet.
When I bought mine none of the HD trucks had the 5th wheel prep package....had to have them order it and install it later.

Did you look up kinda where the wires from the lights would drop down - this link has a picture of where they would be.

jerad

Reaction score
When I bought mine none of the HD trucks had the 5th wheel prep package....had to have them order it and install it later.

Did you look up kinda where the wires from the lights would drop down - this link has a picture of where they would be.

Thank you for the link.

I'll pull the truck out of the garage later today so I have more room to get up underneath it.

I'm also wondering, why can't the power for the 5th wheel prep be used? I don't care if the lights come on with the doors opening or hitting unlock. If i can just push the button and get light anytime I'm in the bed, that would be marvelous.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Thank you for the link.

I'll pull the truck out of the garage later today so I have more room to get up underneath it.

I'm also wondering, why can't the power for the 5th wheel prep be used? I don't care if the lights come on with the doors opening or hitting unlock. If i can just push the button and get light anytime I'm in the bed, that would be marvelous.

I am sure you could use another power source for the button. I am guessing the connection at the BCM is just a constant "hot" circuit. The connection under the Fuse box was simple to access and connect. There was already a wire in that circuit, I tried to remove it but I didn't have the right tool to unpin it, so I just a "T-tap" to tap the circuit. That circuit triggers the bed lights any time the cargo light comes on.

If you are not interested in that and just want a switch in the bed, you can probably install some aftermarket LED lights in the bed for less than the MOPAR kit.

jerad

Reaction score
I am sure you could use another power source for the button. I am guessing the connection at the BCM is just a constant "hot" circuit. The connection under the Fuse box was simple to access and connect. There was already a wire in that circuit, I tried to remove it but I didn't have the right tool to unpin it, so I just a "T-tap" to tap the circuit. That circuit triggers the bed lights any time the cargo light comes on.

If you are not interested in that and just want a switch in the bed, you can probably install some aftermarket LED lights in the bed for less than the MOPAR kit.
It may come down to that! lol

Thank you for your feedback and help.

Users who are viewing this thread