Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rattling sound from Brake Pedal over bumps

ColoradoCub

Reaction score
I have been chasing a light rattling sound when going over bumps for two weeks. Checked everything I could under the dash on the drivers side, put foam tape on connectors I thought might be hitting other plastic parts etc and I have finally nailed it down to the brake pedal. You can just jiggle it lightly with a couple fingers and hear the rattle. There’s so much **** attached to the brake pedal that’s made of plastic that it’s hard to figure out how to make it stop. Has anyone encountered this and come up with a fix?

flan

Reaction score
You’re gonna have to isolate each item and find the offender. I haven’t looked at mine, what kind of stuff is attached?

ColoradoCub

Reaction score
Actually it wasn’t the pedal, it was a large wiring connector that was bouncing on the plastic hvac housing up under the steering wheel

flan

Reaction score
Actually it wasn’t the pedal, it was a large wiring connector that was bouncing on the plastic hvac housing up under the steering wheel
Nice, problem solved!

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
I believe I have the same issue. My brake pedal does wiggle back and forth and I think it is the rattle I hear going over bumps. Just had it in the dealer yesterday and they claim it's normal - based on the fact that other trucks on the lot have the same loose pedal.

When I'm over bumps I put my left foot behind the brake pedal and the rattle stops, so I do think that is the problem. Not convinced by the dealer that it is normal...

RXBoost

Reaction score
I believe I have the same issue. My brake pedal does wiggle back and forth and I think it is the rattle I hear going over bumps. Just had it in the dealer yesterday and they claim it's normal - based on the fact that other trucks on the lot have the same loose pedal.

When I'm over bumps I put my left foot behind the brake pedal and the rattle stops, so I do think that is the problem. Not convinced by the dealer that it is normal...
Old thread but I have a 2023 2500 with 1500 miles and I am getting the same thing. I first noticed it when driving over washboard on a gravel road. I thought it was something in the suspension. But I believe I have narrowed it down to the pedal.
My parents bought theirs at the same time, same truck. Theirs doesnt do it. I have video of how much mine moves and video of how much my parents doesn't move. I see no way of tightening it though.

Mine:
Parents:

sstoner911

Reaction score
I had a 2015 Ram 1500 with this issue....dealer fixed it twice before they got is resolved. Can not remember what exactly what they replaced but it some sort of actuator I think.

bamorris2

Reaction score
For the brake pedal rattle when going over washboards, I followed this guys solution and it helped tremendously.

RXBoost

Reaction score
I followed that too. I went to Ace Hardware and found a few different compression springs. I bought the one he has in the video and I bought 1 more that was even more firm. I put the more firm one in yesterday and it seemed to have solved the problem.

This morning, however, I was driving and my ESC light came on and the adaptive cruise control system has an error, it says it needs serviced. Also the trailer brake system needs serviced. I took the truck to the dealer and they said the code had something to do with brake pedal positioning. I brought the truck home and put in the spring that is shown in the YT video. I also disconnected the negative terminal on both batteries. Hopefully this resolves the issue - because the dealer wants the truck for 2-3 days to diagnose.

Users who are viewing this thread